Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if they really do disperse from the area. Our local taxidermist has had pics of the same deer from button buck on that his cam took. My uncle has pics of a little button buck from last year with two splits in one of his ears and has pics of him this year. I ask this because we are wanting deer meat in the freezer and have not seen too many does at all during bow or rifle season. My brother missed a buck during rifle season, and I know we have muzzleloader season to look to in our county, but I'm really anxious to get meat in the freezer. Just wondering what you all thought if it would be semi-safe for me to shoot a button buck or not. My neighbor has killed one already during rifle season. My thoughts are that I'd rather kill a button buck OR a legal buck here than a doe fawn or a doe, since we haven't seen that many does. Kinda like to let the does alone, cause you kill one and thats at the very least 1 or 2 less deer you see the next year. Don't really want to kill a button buck, but if it comes down to it, rather kill one of them than a doe. What say you?

·
17,661 Posts
I see nothing wrong with it, but some others on here would. Kill a legal deer and be happy. Meat is good.:cheers:

[Edited on 12-4-2009 by hun10]

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,680 Posts
I say that's pretty sound logic. If you've got does, the bucks will come in to breed the does & one buck can breed a lot of does, but I have yet to see a buck drop & raise a fawn.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't want too many does killed here, cause there aren't that many around. Still getting lots of pics of legal bucks over scrapes and see the same group of a few does. I kinda think that if given the chance I'd kill a button buck, but don't want to take him out now when I could find his antlers in a few years and possibly kill him then. I'm kinda torn on this subject. Do the does really push the button bucks away from what you've seen or do they hang around and just "know" who their mama is and not breed with them?

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,680 Posts
[rquote=1498673&tid=104576&author=Deadeye]Don't want too many does killed here, cause there aren't that many around. Still getting lots of pics of legal bucks over scrapes and see the same group of a few does. I kinda think that if given the chance I'd kill a button buck, but don't want to take him out now when I could find his antlers in a few years and possibly kill him then. I'm kinda torn on this subject. Do the does really push the button bucks away from what you've seen or do they hang around and just "know" who their mama is and not breed with them?[/rquote]

Every fall, I seem to get a big influx in young bucks. Spikes & forkys mostly. I could be wrong on this & I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but I think the bucks disperse as yearlings rather than as buttons.

The first year we bought our place, we had a yearling spike with 4 white feet. Had him around most of the late summer. Had some pics of him in velvet, then hard horn. Last I ever seen of him, but for the next 3 years, my neighbor got pics of him about a mile from where I first had pics of him.

My understanding about dispersal is that if the mom is shot, there's a chance he won't disperse.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
[rquote=1498675&tid=104576&author=pinwheel][rquote=1498673&tid=104576&author=Deadeye]Don't want too many does killed here, cause there aren't that many around. Still getting lots of pics of legal bucks over scrapes and see the same group of a few does. I kinda think that if given the chance I'd kill a button buck, but don't want to take him out now when I could find his antlers in a few years and possibly kill him then. I'm kinda torn on this subject. Do the does really push the button bucks away from what you've seen or do they hang around and just "know" who their mama is and not breed with them?[/rquote]

Every fall, I seem to get a big influx in young bucks. Spikes & forkys mostly. I could be wrong on this & I'm sure someone will correct me if I am, but I think the bucks disperse as yearlings rather than as buttons.

The first year we bought our place, we had a yearling spike with 4 white feet. Had him around most of the late summer. Had some pics of him in velvet, then hard horn. Last I ever seen of him, but for the next 3 years, my neighbor got pics of him about a mile from where I first had pics of him.

My understanding about dispersal is that if the mom is shot, there's a chance he won't disperse.[/rquote]

I'm no expert on the subject, but I think this hits the nail on the head. There's of course exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking, the momma does will run off their yearling bucks around the same time bucks are starting to shed. If you shoot a momma that has a bb with her, the chances go up that that buck will stick around since momma won't be around to run him off.

A couple of years ago, I had good documentation of one particular doe and her yearling buck all summer at a mineral lick. As late august rolled around, you could tell in the pictures that momma was starting to fend off the young buck. Had many pics of her on her hind legs and pawing at the buck. He looked very timid in all of the pictures, and shortly thereafter, I never saw him again.

We see a noticeable influx of young bucks every fall on our property as well.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
[rquote=1498735&tid=104576&author=buxNdux][rquote=1498675&tid=104576&author=pinwheel][rquote=1498673&tid=104576&author=Deadeye]Don't want too many does killed here, cause there aren't that many around. Still getting lots of pics of legal bucks over scrapes and see the same group of a few does. I kinda think that if given the chance I'd kill a button buck, but don't want to take him out now when I could find his antlers in a few years and possibly kill him then. I'm kinda torn on this subject. Do the does really push the button bucks away from what you've seen or do they hang around and just "know" who their mama is and not breed with them?[/rquote]

My understanding about dispersal is that if the mom is shot, there's a chance he won't disperse.[/rquote]

I'm no expert on the subject, but I think this hits the nail on the head. There's of course exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking, the momma does will run off their yearling bucks around the same time bucks are starting to shed. If you shoot a momma that has a bb with her, the chances go up that that buck will stick around since momma won't be around to run him off.

A couple of years ago, I had good documentation of one particular doe and her yearling buck all summer at a mineral lick. As late august rolled around, you could tell in the pictures that momma was starting to fend off the young buck. Had many pics of her on her hind legs and pawing at the buck. He looked very timid in all of the pictures, and shortly thereafter, I never saw him again.

[/rquote]

Very accurate. Most dispersal occurs at the 1.5 year birthday. This is why those fork horns and spikes are so visible. They are young dumb and new in their surroundings and are trying to make room for themselves. This is why so many would get killed each year and why a lot of hunters feel like their hunting areas have "too many" rag horn bucks. They are the "most" visible of all deer due to this dispersal and young age.

Great question :cheers:

·
Registered
18,249 Posts
[rquote=1498833&tid=104576&author=Heart shot][rquote=1498735&tid=104576&author=buxNdux][rquote=1498675&tid=104576&author=pinwheel][rquote=1498673&tid=104576&author=Deadeye]Don't want too many does killed here, cause there aren't that many around. Still getting lots of pics of legal bucks over scrapes and see the same group of a few does. I kinda think that if given the chance I'd kill a button buck, but don't want to take him out now when I could find his antlers in a few years and possibly kill him then. I'm kinda torn on this subject. Do the does really push the button bucks away from what you've seen or do they hang around and just "know" who their mama is and not breed with them?[/rquote]

[/rquote]

Very accurate. Most dispersal occurs at the 1.5 year birthday. This is why those fork horns and spikes are so visible. They are young dumb and new in their surroundings and are trying to make room for themselves. This is why so many would get killed each year and why a lot of hunters feel like their hunting areas have "too many" rag horn bucks. They are the "most" visible of all deer due to this dispersal and young age.

Great question :cheers:[/rquote]

and great answers....

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've never really been a fan of shooting button bucks, as those are the bigguns we all like to see a few years down the road. Plus, not wanting to kill any does right now, that leaves us no option other than a legal buck or a button buck. I suppose I'd rather kill the button buck and not have it move to a farm down the road than to kill a young antlered buck now. Time will tell. Thank you all for your opinions, they have been appreciated, just don't know how the cookie will crumble so to speak.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I hunt in Gasconad cty too btwn Berger and Hermann. What about you. Seem to have the same issue, not a lot of does and not many big bucks. Kinda surprised there are not more deer in the area. Seems like the habitat is there with the mixture of woods, crops, and fields.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Yeah we planted clover and WW on our place this year. I am thinking I will try and put in a couple of acres of RR beans this next spring. Hopefully that will increase the sightings. Usually when I hunt our little 40 acres we will see 1-2 deer a day at the most. Whereas up north I will see plenty more. Guess it is just the nature of the habitat. Did kill my biggest buck this year off our Gasconade Cty farm. Only one of 2 deer seen all rifle season:D

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Our family farm is a little north west of Owensville around the Drake/Mt. Sterling/Bay/Swiss area. We got plenty pics of bucks on our trail cams, and a lot of good ones to boot, but there just aren't the does that we are used too. didn't see a doggone thing this evening while on stand. Hope it turns around soon, real real soon.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The major time they disperse is from Feb to May in our part of the world. Watch the roads this spring. It looks like a mini rut. Almost everyone of those suckers will be BB's.

Nothing in the outdoors is 100%, but BB's dispersing in spring is about as close as it gets.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.