Do any of you actually hunt with a semi ?

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by Bear, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Bear

Bear New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    In the first 50 yrs. of my life I used about everything to hunt deer in the last 20 years I've been using semi autos more and more. Once an old fellow told me the reasons why he used one, I didmissed them being a young whipper-snapper and knowing everything. Now I see the reasons why.
    Oh I still use other rifles for different kinds of hunting. But, I seem to go to the auto for most of my deer hunting.

2. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Muzzleloader first, bolt action after that...

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Bolt action here.. semi is only a backup nowadays.:eek:

4. glennasher1

glennasher1 Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2004
    Radcliff, KY
    .22s and shotguns only.

5. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    this was the first year I have ever used a semi....a old sears 12 guage for turkeys. it was my grandpas I rescued it from my uncle where it was stored in his basement for several years. it took about 2 cans of wd-40 for the action to work smooth and several times taking it all apart to clean it over and over but its smooth now and cycles shells out quickly. I think it is goin to start seeing more and more action for my shotgunning needs. but as far as deer goes my ol lever gun does the trick. and my .22 needs come thru a revelvor

6. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

I never get THAT excited :eek:

7. gmbellew

gmbellew Member

Jan 10, 2005
    KCMO
    i use semi autos almost exclusively on everything from small game to large game. only times i am not using a semi auto, is when i have my bow or a muzzleloader. i have never had to take a second shot (at big game, of course. i have been known to miss the occassional squirrel, rabbit, and sometimes even a dove :rotfl: ), but it is nice to know it is there if i need it. :sniper:

8. gmbellew

gmbellew Member

Jan 10, 2005
    KCMO
    hee hee :banana:

9. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    my rifles are all bolts i pretty much gave away the only other type of rifle i have ever had after about a week of owning it.
    its hard to beat the dependabily of a bolt in my opinion.
    i think its hard now days for the average shooter to argue that a semi is less accurate but when cold wet weather conditions in the mountians are what your hunting in i like the reliably of a bolt.

10. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I only own one semi and it's my little marlin .22lr. I'm a bolt man for rifles. Pumps for shotguns. Although my dad has a Winchester 1400 12 ga that shoots better today than the day he bought it 30 years ago.

11. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Bolt guns all the way.

Jack

12. jshull4105

jshull4105 New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Odessa MO
    Semi shotguns, Bolt .22"s

13. River

River New Member

Dec 7, 2002
    Beaufort,Mo.
    guns

Well i'm pretty much a semi-person, but can see both sides on this one ! What i didn't like about the bolt is sometimes i'd miss or make a bad shot on a deer and when you have to clank clank, clank clank, the deer found you and ran off,lol.

14. Mrwonderful

Mrwonderful New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Yes

Remington 7400, 30-06 for Whitetail and a Winchester 1400, 12 ga for things that fly.

Happy with both-never had any problems with the guns. Now the boss thats a differant story.

I do have a 270 bolt I call my bean field gun.

Life is good.

:cheers:

15. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

only my Rem 1100 & Marlin 22

16. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
    Bolt-actions & single-shots, for me

17. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    I own and use semi-auto handguns, rimfires,shotguns and large bore rifles. Why do I like 'em? They shoot more times faster than other guns.

Lever actions are still my favorite deer rifles but the semi is a close second.

18. Bear

Bear New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I think a few of you got it right, if you need that second shot there is no noise. It;s not about fire power. But, sometimes a tree jumps in the way and you need a second shot. Also in Mo. sometimes it is possible to fill several tags at once. Even though I use a semi almost all my deer are taken with one shot. I'm not arguing the merits of a semi I just wanted to know if any one used one.

19. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    Ditto..

Also use my mossy 935 and browning ultralight 20 guage for smaller birdies

20. leaker19

leaker19 New Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Cooper County
    I used to believe bolt actions were superior, until I bought my Browning BAR Safari in .308 Win. I've never shot any rifle in any action as well. It's my favorite deer rifle for sure. Here's my last practice before the 2004 deer season.

leaker