Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
My apologies to the OP, but you've been busted. :LOL:

Good habitat combined with favorable weather and less predators = more nests and eggs saved which results in more poults. A win, win, win. (y)

Carry on....

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
"It seems that in some areas birds have reached carrying capacity and have declined as the capacity of the habitat to support a certain number of birds has declined. If the habitat conditions decline across multiple counties and states, then birds have no choice but to decline with it."

“The number of turkeys we see is driven primarily by production, not survival or harvest of adult turkeys...Tyl said the best way to increase turkey numbers is to provide the habitat turkeys need to nest successfully and that also provides broods with quality forage."

"Across the country we are losing 6,000 acres of habitat a day due to urbanization, farming practices, wildfires in the west, all that kind of stuff," he said. "It's kind of become a culture of not managing land."

·
1,531 Posts
How do so many urban areas have wild flocks of attacking turkeys in the city? They have some great habitat? Food? Good brooding areas? Just wondering what's the difference between a town turkey and a city Turkey.

Reactions: 20'

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
How do so many urban areas have wild flocks of attacking turkeys in the city? They have some great habitat? Food? Good brooding areas? Just wondering what's the difference between a town turkey and a city Turkey.
Considering predator density is highest in the cities I would rule out less predators as a reason.

I would suspect that in many areas there is good brood habitat near the cities due to constant disturbance.

·
1,531 Posts
Considering predator density is highest in the cities I would rule out less predators as a reason.

I would suspect that in many areas there is good brood habitat near the cities due to constant disturbance.
So it's not necessarily the loss of habitat? I'm sure most towns have less habitat than the country. We all have to agree that habitat is vitally important to any species. But also predators helps control those species populations or at least that's what I was taught in school. There are a lot of keystone species that are predators. Take them out and the habitat and herds get out of whack. Not saying that predators are our biggest problem as they aren't. Its many variables that come into play. Weather, habitat, predators, etc.

·
Banned
1,026 Posts
So it's not necessarily the loss of habitat? I'm sure most towns have less habitat than the country. We all have to agree that habitat is vitally important to any species. But also predators helps control those species populations or at least that's what I was taught in school. There are a lot of keystone species that are predators. Take them out and the habitat and herds get out of whack. Not saying that predators are our biggest problem as they aren't. Its many variables that come into play. Weather, habitat, predators, etc.
Its WHICH habitat is being lost thats most important.

If turkeys are thriving in urban areas it pretty much negates the predator argument. You can look at any data on the subject and see that cities have the highest densities of almost all animals that would prey on turkey nests.

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
No; I am using these examples to keep the focus on where it should be: habitat and habitat loss.

"So keep in mind, the first step toward increasing turkey numbers is recognizing that quality habitat - rather than fewer predators - is most often all that is needed for the birds to thrive. "

So, less habitat and far more predators isn’t an issue for ground nesting birds, interesting concept

·
Registered
23,501 Posts
I have nothing against trapping. If someone enjoys it, go for it. But, with the amount of native habitat loss taking place at such a rapid pace nationwide, we should not expect game bird species to rebound to previous levels.
Especailly with out of control predator numbers

·
1,531 Posts
I understand people frustration with hawk but why keep responding if its "here we go again?" We knew it was hawk in the first 12 post of the accounts history. One man sure is taking up a lot of other peoples time for "here we go again." Hawk believes it 95% habitat and all who object believe predators have a big part of the equation.

How bout here we go again with all the post from every body about dang turkeys. These Turkey Ted Talks sure take over a lot of threads that have nothing to do with turkeys.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts