Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Since 2009, the Great Plains have lost more than 53 million acres of grasslands—an area the size of Kansas—to development.

83% DECLINE in Northern bobwhite quail populations across their entire range (1966-2017)

70% DECLINE in America's pheasant population in the majority of pheasant states since 1970

53% DECLINE in populations of grassland bird species since 1970

Stupid racoons.
Are you saying that the decline of the Missouri turkey population and other ground nesting bird populations is due to grassland habitat lost to development?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Are you saying that the decline of the Missouri turkey population and other ground nesting bird populations is due to grassland habitat lost to development?
No; I am using these examples to keep the focus on where it should be: habitat and habitat loss.

"So keep in mind, the first step toward increasing turkey numbers is recognizing that quality habitat - rather than fewer predators - is most often all that is needed for the birds to thrive. "

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
No; I am using these examples to keep the focus on where it should be: habitat and habitat loss.

"So keep in mind, the first step toward increasing turkey numbers is recognizing that quality habitat - rather than fewer predators - is most often all that is needed for the birds to thrive. "

I don't think anyone disagrees having quality habitat and a habitat improvement plan isn't good, all I am saying (and I have presented a paper written by a wildlife biologist in Alabama, right next door to Mississippi that agrees) is that predator trapping is a useful, cost effective tool to use to help ground nesting birds, in addition to habitat. It does not have to be either one or the other.

That's it, nothing more and nothing less.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I don't think anyone disagrees having quality habitat and a habitat improvement plan isn't good, all I am saying (and I have presented a paper written by a wildlife biologist in Alabama, right next door to Mississippi that agrees) is that predator trapping is a useful, cost effective tool to use to help ground nesting birds, in addition to habitat. It does not have to be either one or the other.

I have nothing against trapping. If someone enjoys it, go for it. But, with the amount of native habitat loss taking place at such a rapid pace nationwide, we should not expect game bird species to rebound to previous levels.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I have nothing against trapping. If someone enjoys it, go for it. But, with the amount of native habitat loss taking place at such a rapid pace nationwide, we should not expect game bird species to rebound to previous levels.
The turkey population is also declining in areas where habitat loss has not happened so that can not be the only reason for their population decline. Thanks for recognizing trapping can help a management plan.

Reactions: 20' and SMPtrucking

·
Vendor
576 Posts

That was an opinion piece, not a scientific paper.

·
Vendor
576 Posts
Add to that some huge misconceptions and stubbornness of landowners and managers about what turkey habitat is and isnt, and a flat refusal of many to change anything about their habitat and management, and you have these issues.

·
Vendor
576 Posts
The turkey population is also declining in areas where habitat loss has not happened so that can not be the only reason for their population decline. Thanks for recognizing trapping can help a management plan.
Weather will always play a role. To believe that turkey populations will always stay the same or increase in even excellent habitat is naive.

·
Under appreciated
89,279 Posts
This is what just about every turkey biologist will tell you also. Its not an uncommon viewpoint.

Reactions: SMPtrucking

·
1,445 Posts
Since 2009, the Great Plains have lost more than 53 million acres of grasslands—an area the size of Kansas—to development.

83% DECLINE in Northern bobwhite quail populations across their entire range (1966-2017)

70% DECLINE in America's pheasant population in the majority of pheasant states since 1970

53% DECLINE in populations of grassland bird species since 1970

Stupid racoons.
Not saying this isnt a factor but the great plains stretch 180 millions acres. 53 million acres lost is just over about 30% but the lost of bird populations are much more substantial than that. Maybe there is other major factors besides loss of habitat?

Reactions: 20' and SMPtrucking

·
1,445 Posts
Exactly. They will however either politely disagree or roll their eyes if someone says that trapping was or is the magic bullet in their management program.
I've never heard anyone state that here but I have heard to have an overall balance plan to management.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
It was just too much for him, he had to come out of hiding and trying to pretend to be someone else.

Went fishing and caught a hawk :eek::LOL::LOL::LOL:

·
Vendor
576 Posts
Not saying this isnt a factor but the great plains stretch 180 millions acres. 53 million acres lost is just over about 30% but the lost of bird populations are much more substantial than that. Maybe there is other major factors besides loss of habitat?
But what is being lost? Is it disproportionately bird production habitat? Is this the only loss? Has there also been degradation? Conversion? Succession? Is brooding ground 80% of that 30%?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
This screen name has been active for 3 years and was approved by the owners.
Active for 3 years but only 37 posts, mostly all made talking about turkeys since your other identity got banned.:eek: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Narcissistic personality disorder :LOL::LOL::LOL:

21 - 40 of 95 Posts