Registered
3,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.fox43.com/news/wpmt-11242009-huntershot,0,3366369.story

A York County Man is Shot and Killed in Western PA
Frank Shaffer Shot During Argument with Bear Hunters
AP Staff reporter
7:49 PM EST, November 24, 2009

SUMMERVILLE, JEFFERSON COUNTY - An argument over trespassing apparently sparked a shootout in rural northern Pennsylvania Tuesday that left a landowner dead and a member of a bear hunting party hospitalized with a gunshot wound, police said.

Investigators were trying to sort out the details of the incident near Summerville, but charges are expected, said Trooper Bruce Morris. He said at least four shots were fired.

"From what side to who, who shot first - they're going through that process to try to determine it," Morris said.

Morris said Frank N. Shaffer, 63, of Red Lion was killed after he apparently confronted a group of four or five bear hunters about trespassing or walking across the land he owns with family members.

Paul H. Plyler, 23, of Summerville was shot once and taken by a private vehicle to a hospital in nearby Brookville. Morris said Plyler was transferred to a Pittsburgh hospital but his injuries were not considered life-threatening.

Summerville is about 15 miles from Punxsutawney and about 60 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. Morris described the scene of the shooting as very remote.

Jefferson County Coroner Bernard P. Snyder said an autopsy was planned for Wednesday.

·
Cooyon, Back from NOLA
4,638 Posts
One dead and the other probably going to jail. Glad they work that out......

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
[rquote=1489963&tid=104082&author=Viper Sniper]I wonder what they really were doing on his land:confused:[/rquote]

growing up in PA and knowing how remote it is....hunting bears.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Man I`ll tell you, I`ve seen a lot of bs this year. I personally, was driving home from hunting spot in the middle of rifle season, and about hit a small calf walking down a 2 lane highway. Today, on the same on the same highway within a mile or two of that, I saw a big dead cow in the middle of a field.

I`ve got many people that let me hunt their private land, because they don`t hunt, and are sick of hitting them with their cars. I always am respectful, but hope that these incidents don`t make them nervous and cause me to lose them. I just picked up another small 14 acre spot today, that a friend said I could hunt whenever I want. The first thing I always say is "show me the property lines so I don`t end up trespassing".

I now have 5 with the 14 being the smallest, and up to 1000 acres. All withing 1/2 hour from home. I try to offer money, and they won`t take it!

·
Banned
81,616 Posts
I would like to see the follow up to this story . It would maybe be a good lesson to all of us as to how NOT to handle a treepassing incident.:thinking:

:cheers::cheers:

·
PURE KILLER
38,018 Posts
what a loss

·
Grrrrrrr
29,945 Posts
[rquote=1490007&tid=104082&author=henry] I would like to see the follow up to this story . It would maybe be a good lesson to all of us as to how NOT to handle a treepassing incident.:thinking:

:cheers::cheers:[/rquote]

Exactly what I was thinking Henry, follows right along with some of the "what to do about tresspasser discussions we've had here on MWT.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
[rquote=1490007&tid=104082&author=henry] I would like to see the follow up to this story . It would maybe be a good lesson to all of us as to how NOT to handle a treepassing incident.:thinking:

:cheers::cheers:[/rquote]

Could be a few different scenarios to this tragedy. Did the landowner get PO'ed and shoot first? Did the hunters feel threatened and fire? Or visa versa? It would be interesting to find out the real story. Sense the LO is dead we may never know. :thinking:

·
Registered
17,011 Posts
i wonder if that landowner ever posted on the internet that he would shoot at or kill trespassers.:confused:

prayers for the family. another person taken to young

·
Registered
427 Posts
I live close to there. Think the land owner shot 1st. I'm not sure there was anybody even trespassing. The guy threatend to shoot my uncle 3 years ago and we wernt even on his land.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts