Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...not to make this sound all sad, but I got into hunting when I was 35 and dad was too sick to show me how to do it right...long story short, turkey, deer, hog, squirrel hunting for 3 years now...and haven't got a thing...best I got was watching a hen walk by during spring season...how long before most guys get their first real game? After three years of it, I'm findign it harder and harder to get out of bed at dawn to stare at empty woods for 10 hours straight...

·
Under appreciated
89,821 Posts
Dont get discouraged.

Of all the success stories you hear here, there are tons of days spent in the blind or woods without luck.

It'll come and as long as you are participating, paying attention and learning from the experience.

Best of luck!! :wave:

·
11,357 Posts
Have you been hunting public ground or private? If you stay in the woods enough it will happen for you. Persistance pays off:cheers:

[Edited on 12/8/2009 by DForbis]

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
private; apparently crawling with game...the issues being work schedules let me hunt, this year, two days of spring turkey, 2 of firearms deer, i day of fall turkey...and then, while there, I am likely making noise, in the wrong spot, etc etc...

·
Registered
8,513 Posts
how long ??
well i hate to say it but i started hunting deer in 1973
and did NOT kill one in the first 14 years but have scored every
year after that

hang in there and ask someone to take you and show ya
ya might get in touch with LFG he might show ya how to hunt squirrel

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
I started hunting in 1993 fall deer season. I got my first deer with rifle in 1999

I started bow hunting for deer in 1994 got my first deer in 1994 with in 15 minuts lukilly.

I started spring turkey hunting in 1994 got my first spring bird in 2005 dint get my two spring birds untill this spring season.

I have been archery turkey hunting since I started bow hunting and yet to get a archery bird.

I started fall shotgun hunting for turkeys in 1994 and yet to get a fall shotgun bird.

Dont give up. It will all come together eventually and when it does there is no going back.

·
11,357 Posts
Well this gun season was tough on nearly everyone. Turkeys are extremely hard to hunt for people just starting out with no mentors. Take you a shotgun out and harvest you some squirrels they are usually easy to find and fun targets. It will be a way to get you some kills under your belt. Don't give up, enjoy the time in the woods and deer are bound to show up for you sometime. Feel free to ask any questions you may have on here and you may get some useful information to help you be more successful. Hope this helps:cheers::cheers:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hang in there man, it`s just going to make it that much more enjoyable when it happens! My son and I took the hunters safety course 3 years ago.I`ve tagged out all 3 years of firearms. This Oct. I bought a bow, and within two weeks, had taken 2 does, meanwhile my son hadn`t taken a single deer. I felt for him, and told him with everyone I took, "I`d rather it have been you". Finally on the 2nd Sat. of firearms he took a doe, and I was there to see it, there was no bigger pleasure for him or myself to get that monkey off his back!

I truly believe, and I tell him, that hunting is 50% confidence. I believe every time I go in the woods I`m going to take a wall hanger. Can`t explain it, other than i guess I just am more concentrated, quite, etc.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know; it's like everyone I talk to had people show them what to do....I read books...and it apparently shows...

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
I taught my self or beter said It took time for me to figer out where the game i was hunting wanted to be at, so I could be close enouf to intercept there travel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also, got no friends/deer camp sorta thing...all my friends are not quite the type and don't understand my doing it...this last deer go-round, I actually woke up, looked at the clock, and went back to bed...woke up feeling guilty, but I'm sick of looking at those empty fields...

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Sounds to me like ya might need a mentor. I am sure there is someone in tyour area from MWT that could help ya.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no offense, but it's embarrassing, middle-age and all, not knowing your s from shinola

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
Ony one person can make you go out into the woods/feilds to hunt, YOU.

So we not high jack this thread start a new thread asking what are sugestions to learn to deer hunt better.

When I sit on stand 2 hrs befor sunrise to sunset to get a deer, I dont have a mental battle any longer. I had that mental argument with my self after my 3rd season of not seeing a deer to shot.

With it getting cold now the deer will nead more food. Find a good used deer trail leading to a food sorce and set up on it 20 yards or 30 with in site of a good stretch of the trail.

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
at first I was thinking a mentor as well, but that is very very few days afield to expect very much success. % day over three different hunting seasons is not even enough time afield to learn anything you may be doing wrong. Keep after it and until you start spending entire Spring turkey seasons in the woods and 40 days during deer season and continually coming up dry then you may need to consider some tips.\\good luck

·
Registered
14,299 Posts
Read all you can on the subject and find someone in your area to hunt with or mentor you.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
It shouldn't be this frustrating for you...although I can say I understand and I get there myself at times. Sometimes you got to take a step back and really ask yourself why you go out and sit in the woods for hours on end. Is the peace and quiet? Is it the break from everyday world? Time to reflect?

Personally, I like to see the sunrises and sunsets. I like to watch the birds go about their daily routines. I like seeing that squirrel that hasn't yet realized that I'm in the same tree. Seeing deer or whatever game you are pursuing always makes it more interesting and makes you feel like you are starting to figure it out, but its a never ending process.

You will get your reward eventually for the time you put in. And DA's suggestion about a mentor is a good one. Hunting with someone that has had some past success can sure teach you a few things.

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by HabitatMD]

·
CROSSBOW HATER!
48,418 Posts
[rquote=1502197&tid=104817&author=InTheWoodsSoon]also, got no friends/deer camp sorta thing...all my friends are not quite the type and don't understand my doing it...this last deer go-round, I actually woke up, looked at the clock, and went back to bed...woke up feeling guilty, but I'm sick of looking at those empty fields...[/rquote]

if ytou are near stl, i could try and help you with the Spring bird, by no means any expert, just a lotta trial and error and like reb says it's all luck....maybe just get yourself a lucky rabbits foot:D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
it's weird, but the poeple that I DO know that hunt, are a bit better class than me apparently, and only know me through some work...everyone got a deer or soemthing within a year of starting...and now, people are starting to feel sorry for me, which makes me want to give up even more...thought about getting a ML to try one more time this year...landowner's no help, I got no time to scout...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts