Discless Knight Elite

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Underclocked, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Underclocked

Underclocked New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Greenfield, MO. USA
    Larry has been at it again - converted a Knight Disc Elite that used the "full plastic jackets" to a #11 ignition. Shown installed with bolt open:

[​IMG]

Seems to work very well:

[​IMG]

This could make the Disc Elite/Extreme (and that use the same/similar bolt legal in some areas where 209 ignition is not allowed.

Conversion is reversible by simply reinstalling a standard Knight breech plug and the original striker. No modification is done to the bolt housing.

Pretty cool!

2. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    A conversion by WoodGoat that should have been available from Knight for years. Larry an excellent job and some mighty fine conical shooting!!:cheers::cheers::cheers: Thaa was his first time at the range with that rifle and I hear tell he has improved on those first shots.:eek:

Jack

3. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    A fine group for the first time out.............:sniper:

4. Chairman

Chairman Senior Member

Dec 2, 2002
    Henry County
  5. Underclocked

Underclocked New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Greenfield, MO. USA
    He's still testin' :D

Today's effort (he musta pulled that one low ;) )

[​IMG]

He's gonna try some 340 grainers next.

6. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Dang that is some impressive conical shooting out of that Knight!! Great job Larry!!:eek:

Jack

7. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    :eek: I guess it could have been a down draft also...........Wow.......:sniper:

8. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I've always said, that 209 primers were overrated!!! Good shootin!!!

9. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
  10. Underclocked

Underclocked New Member

Jan 27, 2003
    Greenfield, MO. USA
    Results from today. Think he sized those 340s a little on the small side. He's gonna hone his sizer and try 'em again. Bullets from an identical mold shot great for me. 'Course these aint exactly horrible results.

[​IMG]

11. Woodgoat

Woodgoat Guest

I've shot the converted Knight a little over 100 times now in four different sessions, and havent found any problems with it. I've been fooling around with bullet sizing and have about got this rifle tuned and set to go. Its been a fun project.

12. Woodgoat

Woodgoat Guest

My thoughts on 209 primers is that its a solution to a problem that shouldnt exist. Black powder is very easy to ignite. The substitute powders arent. It all goes back to the classification of black as an explosive which in order to retail involves all kinds of red tape and storage requirements that the subs dont have. The substitute powders are classified as propellents and not subject to the same regulations. So, since walmart isnt willing to fool with black powder, we are left trying to get pyrodex to light off when its 38 degrees and foggy. Not nearly as easy as black powder to light. So, we have 209 primers in our muzzleloaders. So many shooters are danged near afraid of black powder mainly because of advertising and some myths. "Tired of that stinking nasty cleanup after shooting your muzzleloader? switch to Brand x" What they forget to tell ya is that you still got to clean brand x, but you can get it at walmart. It costs twice as much as black, but hey! its right there next to the boat paddles so you dont have to have it shipped to your house. I've used several different brands of the subs, and for my purposes, none of them are as useful as real black powder. And for that, a #11 cap is all the ignition you need. I also believe that its easier to get an inline to shoot accurately with #11 ignition vs 209. Just my thoughts on the shotgun primer in muzzleloaders.
    LH ;)

13. ourway7

ourway7 New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    You are so right about the #11 caps, 209's are not the answer too much flame. Yes they may be required to ignite smokeless in the Savages but one really doesn't need it with BP, and I for one have never had a problem with 777 using #11 caps, I use them in my Whites. Put a patch on your jag and shoot a 209 it will move the jag out anywhere from 3-5 inches not so with the #11's