Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lets see if we can eliminate another weak link of my reloading shceme. A digital scale sounds attractive, but are they worth the money? And how idiot proof are they?

What kind do you have/use? What are it's positive attributes?

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
I don't have one, I know lots of folks who do. Some of them complain about them being "overly sensitive" to the slightest breeze or even when someone walks across the floor. I think Dillon was the brand commented on most, but there are several brand names, and I "think" they are mostly all made by the same outfit (like Ohaus makes Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, and probably other balance beam units).

I just never saw the need for one, personally. When I load pistol stuff, I only set up the scales once, set the Dillon measure, and load away, content and confident that it will stay where it belongs.
When I load rifle stuff, I'm pretty much the same way, I set the measure, get it close to what I want, and go mostly by volume, just like the benchresters do. As long as you're not running maximum loads (I don't) a little more or less won't hurt you accuracy-wise.

·
Registered
69,936 Posts
I don't use one either Jerry. Maybe old fashioned but I measure each load individually using the scale and dribbler. I don't load pistol shells btw. I'm just guessing here but I think the accuracy between the two kinds of scales is close to the same. I don't load all that much so speed is not an issue....especially at my age. Key words....uniformity & repetition.

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,405 Posts
I've been using an RCBS for a couple a years now.....

I'd say I'm pretty happy with it.... I like it for weighing cast bullets too..... Just to make sure they are about the same.

For reloading... Really not that big of a difference from using the older style.... I still have that too....

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
My boss at work is a benchrest shooter. He's a good guy, and I've been over to the range he uses when practicing. He uses one of the Harrell benchrest measures, and he couldn't tell you, under threat of death and dismemberment, what the powder charge he uses, is. He simply dials in "49 1/2 clicks" or something like that, (depending on conditions, of course) and dumps the powder directly into the 6mmPPC case, seats the bullet, and then shoots groups at 200 yards under .3", CONSISTENTLY. I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it being done, but all those benchrest guys do it that way (plus or minus on the number of clicks, of course).

Benchresters do all kinds of things us normal folks don't, wouldn't and shouldn't do, but VOLUME of powder charge seems to be more important than that last .1 of a grain powder weight. I keep my stuff a safe distance under maximum, and just dump the powder. It works pretty good for my needs.

He also blends powders:eek:, something I am NOT going to get into here on an open forum, mixing two powders to get exactly the burning rate he wants, to get the results he wants. He hasn't blown anything up yet, and still has his eyesight and hearing, so he's doing some WAY OUT THERE AND BEYOND stuff that we better not try.

Still, he runs this stuff past me at work, since I'm the only other handloader there, and can appreciate what's going on, and can talk half-intelligently about it. Everyone likes to jawbone about what they do.:D

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
What a coincidence - I am getting ready to post an RCBS Partner electronic scale in the for sale section...

·
19,584 Posts
I bought a digital scale & powder dispenser...but haven't used 'em yet.

But, the reason I bought it was different than most folks...I have a hard time reading old-style scales, because of situations relating to my disability (balance, reach & flexibility...to mention a few).

Just trying to strengthen the weak links in my reloading scheme, too... :D

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have a Pact Dispenser and Scale combo, have used it to load thousands prairie dog rounds. It is not the fastest way, but at a glance I knew that each cartidge was loaded within a tenth of a grain. I just recently used a powder drop in combination with the scales to set it up precisely, then I could load multiple rounds a little faster, checking my drops for consistancy. I still use the combo for small batches for my deer rounds and such. Pretty user friendly.

·
You're not a golfer.
7,130 Posts
I'm using the RCBS digital scale as well. I don't load in bulk and I'm very anal about the powder. Makes me feel better about my loads. Anyway, I love the scale and can't imaging going back to the mechanical scale.

·
Registered
16,729 Posts
[rquote=1506084&tid=104506&author=golfnut1969]I'm using the RCBS digital scale as well. I don't load in bulk and I'm very @$%# about the powder. Makes me feel better about my loads. Anyway, I love the scale and can't imaging going back to the mechanical scale.[/rquote]

Is your yote count up???

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not interested in improving accuracy in weight and am not concerned with speed. I do suspect the digital might eliminate some possibility for errors in set up and would be easier to read on my bench. ?????

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
What kind of sd is he getting with the volume versus grain indifference?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.