Dificulties.

Discussion in 'Muzzleloaders' started by Longbow26, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Well still havign dificulties finding the over powder and over shoot cards and the wads for shooting a 28 gage shootgun load. I did how ever find a 9/16 hole punch at dixie gun works for 29.95 it is decimal diamiter of .562 where the guage diamiter for a 28 gage is .550 No way to meshure my barel to decimal diamiter but it is a .54 caliber which I am told is a 28 gage as well.

For shooting patched balls the gun smith sugested a 530 ball with a .10 patch which adds up to .540

Just thouhgt of this. That might explain why my .535 diamiter roundball and a .15 thousands of inch patch is such a tight fite gettign into the barel of my lyman .54 rifle. Alsmost nead a hammer to drive the load in but boy is it an acurate round when sittign ontop of 80 grains 3f goex.

Basically I am asking is this. I know the cards and wad nead to be a tad over sized so it will fit snugly and stay snug. But is a .562 to snug for it do you think?

If I do buy that 9/16 pounch any idea where i get teh sheets of fiber wad to make my wads? And what type of material do i use to make my cards? Is poster baord thik/rigid enouf?

I got a month to figer this out as i will want to ahve from start of april till terky season opener to practice shooting it shootgun style for terky season. It will also give me 23 days to work on best laod for it.

2. Landlover

Landlover Active Member

Jan 10, 2006
    Springfield, MO
    Try this site for all the info you will need on wads. It is www.circlefly.com They have about any size or gauge a person would ever need or dream of and seem to be very reasonably priced. Good luck!

3. Poor Valley

Poor Valley Active Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Rolla, Mo
    Won't your patched ball be .550 ?

4. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Yes when I am shooting a .535 wiht a 15 thousand patch it is a .550 Alot of ppl thouhg use a .530 ball and a 10thouhsand patch in there .54 I did as well at teh begining befor I figerd the more tighter hte fite the beter the acuracy. I did go threw alot of ram rods befor i found out u nead to tap the load in instead of pushing a .550 in.

Thank you fo rthe link ill go check them out rt now.

5. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Poster board is rigid enuff.....I'm darn sure that's what mine are made of...Not sure what you could make the fiber wads from.....but looks like circlefly will prolly be your best bet for both!!!!!!!

6. runner

runner New Member

Sep 24, 2004
    .530 plus a .015 patch is .560. The patch is counted twice because it goes around the ball. Go to the Muzzleloader forum and read Roundballs info on what he is shooting in his TC 56 for load ideas.

7. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    HUGH. Shows how smart of a fellow I am hehe. Never did think of adding patchness thickness when figerign my pached ball for barel. Now I do know why it is such a tight fite in my lymann.