Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I’m going out again this weekend to either get my 2nd bird or to help get my dad one. Is there anything different to do calling or decoy wise since it will be “late season”. Is it even late season this year. It normally is by May isn’t it? All I have is a jake strutter and a hen. Should I get a normal jake or change anything? Thanks.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Well I'm going out again this weekend to either get my 2nd bird or to help get my dad one. Is there anything different to do calling or decoy wise since it will be "late season". Is it even late season this year. It normally is by May isn't it? All I have is a jake strutter and a hen. Should I get a normal jake or change anything? Thanks.
I dont think its anywhere close to late season, at least in North MO. We still have large groups of adult gobblers establishing dominance where I hunt. I saw 7 adults, 5 jakes and about a dozen hens in the same field Sunday. The gobblers were beating the crap out of each other while the rest just watched.

Reactions: Rednecknick

· Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think its anywhere close to late season, at least in North MO. We still have large groups of adult gobblers establishing dominance where I hunt. I saw 7 adults, 5 jakes and about a dozen hens in the same field Sunday. The gobblers were beating the crap out of each other while the rest just watched.
I haven't been down to my farm since early April so I have no idea what part of the season it is. All I know is that in years past it was late season when I would go for my birthday trip. In early April it sounded like all the gobblers were roosted in the same ridge. I had pics of 10-15 hens still together then too.

· Banned
81,617 Posts
On a normal year i would abandon the Jake this late. If you're in the southern part of the state it might not be a bad idea to leave it in the truck.

· Registered
32,997 Posts
They were henned up from fly down last weekend where I was hunting. Got one more day to give it a shot.

· Really? Show me. .
3,483 Posts
We had two long beards come in to a half strut jake last Friday.

· Registered
32,997 Posts
I decided to go for a quick hung in the morning since the rain 'should' stay away. Going to be a wet mess, bug hopefully there's a bird or two on the local CA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.