Did you know that on a 98 Chevy Silverado...

Discussion in 'Social Club' started by archer66, Oct 29, 2010.

1. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Did you know that when you disconnect the negative cable from the battery with the doors closed and the keys in the ignition the doors lock?

I didn't.:mad2:

2. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    :rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2::rof2:dang it

3. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Well, you do now. :D:D

Now, where did I put that hammer. :thinking:

4. BigPunkus

BigPunkus New Member

May 21, 2006
    Boonville
    man, hope the windows were down!

5. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    My wife has my spare keys.....I'll just wait until she gets home from work and unlock it that way.

Was going to put a heat/ac fan control switch in it but I guess that can wait until later.

I guess that's a security feature huh?

The follies continue.

6. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Active Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Imperial MO
    Use a couple shims and tap in the top of the door near the back, take a single piece of 12g romex bend a loop on the end snake it in and hook the door handle and pull it up.

Assuming you dont have a spare handy.

7. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Note to self

Don't leave the keys in the ignition and leave the door open when pulling the negative cable off the battery.

8. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    i can not imagine that is right...id bet somthing has got jacked from the factory settings.
    that cant be right.

the wifes suv which used to only lock when you put it in gear has in the past two months started locking when it starts up......

no big deal untill you reach in to start it to warm up or cool down and get out and slam the doors.....:mad2:

9. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    Nope, not a security feature, and I doubt you can get it to do it again. I am betting when the battery was disconnected it shot a voltage spike to the BCM causing the doors to lock.

10. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1869760&tid=130163&author=archer66]My wife has my spare keys.....I'll just wait until she gets home from work and unlock it that way.

Was going to put a heat/ac fan control switch in it but I guess that can wait until later.

The follies continue.[/rquote]

Well, since ya can't get your work done, you should just go huntin instead.:D

11. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    [rquote=1869827&tid=130163&author=pinwheel][rquote=1869760&tid=130163&author=archer66]My wife has my spare keys.....I'll just wait until she gets home from work and unlock it that way.

The follies continue.[/rquote]

Well, since ya can't get your work done, you should just go huntin instead.:D[/rquote]

That's the real KICK in the PANTS Randy....I'd just gotten home from hunting and guess where my bow is???? YUP locked in the truck with all my other gear.

Wasn't planning to hunt tonight anyway....promised my daughter I'd take her and a friend to the haunted house and corn maze in Hannibal.

12. 67Firebird

67Firebird Chicken Man

:hysterical:

Another reason to love the keypad entry. :wave:

13. txcobowhunter

txcobowhunter Deer Gear Collecter

Oct 5, 2008
    Texas County
    [rquote=1869766&tid=130163&author=Shrapnel]Use a couple shims and tap in the top of the door near the back, take a single piece of 12g romex bend a loop on the end snake it in and hook the door handle and pull it up.

Assuming you dont have a spare handy.[/rquote]

Don't know about a 98, but on my 01 the doors don't unlock by pulling the handle.

14. sand_manms

sand_manms New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    South Mississippi
    Note to self: always remove keys when getting out of a vehicle!

15. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

[rquote=1869884&tid=130163&author=GoGop]:hysterical:

Another reason to love the keypad entry. :wave:[/rquote]

I almost went with that on my truck but the magnetic hide-a-way box was only like 5 bucks. I figure no one will look for it because no one uses them anymore :rof2:

16. pinwheel

pinwheel Jenny's Lackey

Jun 17, 2006
    middle of nowhere
    [rquote=1869884&tid=130163&author=GoGop]:hysterical:

Another reason to love the keypad entry. :wave:[/rquote]

I love that feature on my truck, till oldtimers sits in & I can't remember the code. :stickfight: Had that happen before. Luckily, I had my cell so I could call Jenny & ask her what it was.:scared:

17. Big John

Big John New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    Wire Clothes hanger 3 feet of 30lb test line tied to the end with a large slip knot will open and door with a button.

18. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    My wife got home at 4 pm.........and reminded me that the keyless entry fob for the dang truck is in my gun safe........:mad2::mad2:

But at least I'm in now.

19. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[rquote=1870227&tid=130163&author=archer66]My wife got home at 4 pm.........and reminded me that the keyless entry fob for the dang truck is in my gun safe........:mad2::mad2:

But at least I'm in now.[/rquote]
    Strange place to keep that.:thinking:

20. archer66

archer66 5 shots 1 kill

Jun 21, 2008
    Honestly I forgot I even had one.....my previous 98 was the LS package and didn't have power locks....or a 350 or 4wd. When I traded it in on the one I have now I stuck the keys in my pocket with that keyless entry fob on it and hated the extra bulk so I took it off the ring and put it aside. Haven't had it in hand since the day I bought the truck in April of 2008.

Call me crazy.....