did trying to solve 1 problem cause another?

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by nastyjack63, Nov 6, 2010.

1. nastyjack63

nastyjack63 Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    I have been cutting sugar maples the past 2 winters trying to improve the oak/hickory regeneration. I went out to set a stand for rifle season overlooking one of the areas and noticed something that has me wondering. In these pics nearly all the sprouts that are still holding green leaves are sycamores. Kinda hard to see but there are dozens scattered around and appear to be doing very well. I really don't want a sycamore stand instead of maples. Will they out compete the oaks and if so what do I do about them? This hillside is gonna get burned next spring to kill any sm that have sprouted so will that kill the sycamores too? What do ya'll suggest?

[file]146271[/file] [file]146273[/file] [file]146275[/file]

2. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

Mar 1, 2005
    St. Peters, MO
    That's a lot of open space there. How big is that area?

Just a thought, you could get rid of those saplings and get a small green food plot in there. It looks like there's enough sun comming in.

3. letemgrow

letemgrow Well-Known Member

That is always a possible problem, anytime the trees are cut down other undesirable species can pop up in their place. If the fire does not take care of them you can go through there again while they are still young until the oaks can take hold.

I like to always go back through any areas I disk up, do TSI on etc to make sure I did not release something invasive because that is always a possibility. :cheers:

4. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I'm not sure if you plan on running a fire though that area, but I'm sure that would take care of them. Either that or give them a few years and whack them too.

Seems odd though to have sycamore in an upland setting.

5. nastyjack63

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    Dan it's gonna get the torch next spring. Don't know if that will knock the sycamores or not. Guess time will tell.

6. nastyjack63

Dec 17, 2006
    osage county
    [rquote=1883148&tid=131135&author=HabitatMD]
    Seems odd though to have sycamore in an upland setting.[/rquote] There are several along the drainage at the bottom of the slope. Guess that's the beauty of MO river bluff country. :shrug:

7. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    Yeah, I figured you didn't have them too far away, but you don't see many growing up in the hill county. I think the torching will do wonders. They don't call them oak/hickory/sycamore forests. :wave: