Did some planting today

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by Redonthehead, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Redonthehead

Redonthehead Active Member

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    I did some discing and planting today. Kind of an experiment, but hopefully it will work. What'd I plant? ACORNS. My place is lacking in good deer timber and had a chance to increase it.

My neighbor is very meticulus about his yard, and spent hours raking the acorns from his pinoak tree. Being the good guy I volunteered to take them off his hands. After float testing (good acorns sink, bad acrons float) I was left with 5 gallons of good acorns.

I planted them today along a border area between a CRP field and a wetland. I disked the ground with the front discs set deep to create a "V", then dropped acorns, and re-disced with the rear discs dominant to pull the soil over the acorns. We'll see how it does.

Assuming they sprout, I'll try to brush hog over the tops of the seedlings when the weeds get too high.

I always buy some trees from the MDC, but if this works, it will be MUCH easier than planting a seedling.

2. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

Be sure and keep us posted on the progress. How long do you think before you have sprouts???

:cheers::cheers:

3. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    It is a little late now but you should get some white oak acorns. The deer and turkey love them.

4. Redonthehead

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    Henry - not sure but I expect them to be up in April. The pinoak acorns need to be "stratified" by cold.

Mailmain - If you know where I can get bucketfulls of white oaks I'd take 'em! They have to be planted immediately in the fall as they start to sprout then. Most of my land is under Corps flood easement so pinoaks are preferred as more flood tolerant than white oaks. Burr oaks would be good though!

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    Red-- swamp white oak would work well in that ground also. dont bury them to deep. in nature they sprout by just layin on the ground.

6. Redonthehead

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    Just got my order of trees from the MDC. 50 each of swamp white oak and pin oak. Both the extra large option. Hopefully the weekend after this I will be borrowing a 3pt 8" auger and planting them.

7. mrclean

mrclean New Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Harrisburg
    pretty cool how you used your disk as a "planter." The adjustments on my tandem are so rusted it's stayin' in one setting.

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Senior Member

Dec 30, 2004
    Greene county
    MDC in your area may have a tree planting machine, you pull it behind your tractor, works great, except rocky steep ground.

9. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Red.. you'll be surprised how many liners you get from 5gal of acorns, even without stratification or vernalization on the mast.

I wouldnt worry about the weeds cause I suspect that you would want to take individual plants and place them where you need'em. Just have a look in May, maybe June or so and you will be pleased I'm sure.

Are you trying to establish a hardwood line or are you using this area as a nursery for transplants??

10. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    ground may be to frozen to plant for a while now this cold is going to suck

11. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Sounds like he's already gotrdone.. I think it will be a welcome surprise come spring/early summer :)

12. Redonthehead

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    Well there's really two parts to this thread. I've already planted the acorns - Rat I am going for a line of hardwoods between a wetland and a CRP field. About a 2,000 foot line.

I did just get 100 extra tall trees from the MDC - all are over 3' - some are over 4 foot! They will be planted using a tractor PTO auger. Hopefully the ground won't be frozen solid in a week.

I have helped plant 5,200 trees on 15 acres (a riparian CRP) with the MDC tree planter. Worked great.

13. TOBRYAN

TOBRYAN Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Liberty, Mo
    Hey redon, how did that tree planter work?
    I would like to plant a bunch of trees without using a posthole digger or a tree dibble (sp?)
    What kind of tractor is needed to pull one?

14. Redonthehead

May 2, 2005
    Springfield
    The tree planter worked pretty slick. It could be pulled by any small tractor. You sit on it and place trees in a slot between your feet. We had a third person walking behind to say "plant!" everytime a 20 foot dragged rope passed a tree (20 foot spacing), and also to fix any mistakes.