Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year went into season with 5 gobblers in my section and neighbors killed two. First season in many years I did not have opportunity to tag out using stick and string. This year went into season with the 3 mature, 5 jakes and 7 hens. Two hens have beards over 6" and hope they dont get shot. Harvested one of the mature and laying off the rest. Hopping neighbors dont have much luck. This section has excellent habitat and will see how hatch goes for 2021.

·
Biology nit wit exposer
80,689 Posts
We haven't laid off. Since numbers increased some after trapping a neighboring property who didn't turkey hunt because of low numbers started again.

Reactions: 20' and BC-Buck

·
just a no body
14,409 Posts
we have over the last few years.. this year was finally out and only took 1..next year maybe allow ourselves 2

·
Registered
69,438 Posts
Haven't turkey hunted in at least 5 years on my place. No neighbors turkey hunt. Very low numbers seen or in pics from 12 game cameras scattered around my place. Haven't heard a single gobble in 2 years. There is only one person doing any trapping anywhere close to my place and he mainly targets bobcats. The habitat hasn't changed over the past 25 years but the raccoon and opossum populations have doubled and tripled. I was told by a MWT member to go head a d kill one of my 2 Tom's this season.....2 would replace him. I didn't follow his advice.

·
Registered
21,135 Posts
No, I did scout and then hunt a farm that I almost never hunt along with my current main two hunting spots, but I still hunted my favorite game bird. Turkeys will fill back into preferred habitat after removal of a dominant gobbler over an unknown period of time.

·
Registered
892 Posts
We personally never shoot jakes,even my youth hunters.We have a pretty good retention on those we pass barring they are the same birds.From my observation we had a pretty decent hatch last year,with a ton of poults seen and verified through trail cams and seen in the winter flocks.Point is we seen 2 sets of jakes,one set with 6 Jake's and another with 3 jakes.So by passing those I hope we have at least 4-5 to hunt next year

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
46,768 Posts
I just don't have time to get out. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
PURE KILLER
37,995 Posts
Nope , 3 years of not buying a tag. Havent had a picture of a Turkey since last sept. Why bother ,same place we would take 8 birds off a year for 20 years no habitat change. Now not a track.

·
1,184 Posts
Didn't see a single jake all season. Only long beards and hens. Lowest number seen in the last 4 years on the current property I turkey hunt. I rarely shoot Jakes unless the itch hits me and that's been years. Had some on camera on my property but they since scattered with highline workers and neighbors bulldozing. Was the most I've seen on my property in years so I am hopeful they are re establishing themselves there after some habitat work.

Reactions: Dmbecke

·
Deplorable member
9,750 Posts
Both farms I hunt had decent numbers of both adults and Jakes. Killed my normal two. One off each farm. Out this morning with my grandson in the rain but no luck yet. Had a Tom gobbling early but he shut up. 6 Jakes skirted the decoys a bit ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
only killed 1 bird not on my 58 acres usually has 2 gobblers this year before season they were there then left and went to neighboring property usually have 2 or 3 jakes there also never saw a jake my buddy didnt fire a shot he said very low numbers back in the 90's be a half dozen gobbling there its not good i dont know what the answer is i have big hardwoods creek and hay fields there were 3 gobblers 9 hens weeks before season then all gone

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did not pick up any new birds in my section in the last 12 months other than what was hatched here. I guess you don't get much dispersal till population increase causes it or loss of habitat.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The wife and I only killed 1 each. Felt greedy if we had killed 2 more. We are happy with what we got and feel blessed for having turkey’s to hunt. We will hunt again this fall for them. This past winter we had 16 long beards in the food plot all winter long. It was a sight seeing them all in the plot at the same time.
Mark

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
No
Screenshot_20210509-133232_Acrobat%20for%20Samsung.jpg

·
Vendor
63,515 Posts
Did not pick up any new birds in my section in the last 12 months other than what was hatched here. I guess you don't get much dispersal till population increase causes it or loss of habitat.
Its impossible to know unless you had them tagged or tracked.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I hunt public ground in Iron, Reynolds and Shannon counties. I quit turkey hunting because there just aren't enough birds to fool with nowadays. I love turkey hunting and don't mind working hard to kill an old ridge runner. I've done a lot of 5+ mile mornings in the mountains to strike and work a bird. Sweat equity is something I always expected to lay out because there weren't many easy birds tripping over their beards running to the call. It has always required work to fill a tag. But there has to be at least a few turkeys to make for a hunt. And there just aren't birds anymore. I would actually feel guilty to kill one now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I tagged out here in NW Missouri. The population where I hunt was better then the previous 3 years.
Reasons for Declines IMO in no special order.

1. Lost of Nesting Habitat due to farming and brush clearing.
2. Ground Nest Predators.
3. Air predators- Our Bald Eagle Population is Booming in Northern Missouri. I know they pick off a few.
Along with Large Hawks , Large owls that can pick off easy poult's also.
4. Bad Hatches on certain years dont help either.
Four things working against our Population.

The section I hunt in has been trapped intensively for predators the last 10 years. It also still holds good Nesting habitat, Timber with thick underbrush and Crp fields. For those two reasons, the turkey hunting is still Solid in this area, But very "Patching" in our NW County.

Here is the Harvest Map: Spring Turkey Harvest Map

·
Hawk Hibernator
2,061 Posts
I tagged out here in NW Missouri. The population where I hunt was better then the previous 3 years.
Reasons for Declines IMO in no special order.

1. Lost of Nesting Habitat due to farming and brush clearing.
2. Ground Nest Predators.
3. Air predators- Our Bald Eagle Population is Booming in Northern Missouri. I know they pick off a few.
Along with Large Hawks , Large owls that can pick off easy poult's also.
4. Bad Hatches on certain years dont help either.
Four things working against our Population.

The section I hunt in has been trapped intensively for predators the last 10 years. It also still holds good Nesting habitat, Timber with thick underbrush and Crp fields. For those two reasons, the turkey hunting is still Solid in this area, But very "Patching" in our NW County.

Here is the Harvest Map: Spring Turkey Harvest Map
What NWest county in Missouri would that be?

·
Registered
362 Posts
We had 0 birds to work on over 600 acres. First time in my 35 yrs of hunting that has happened.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts