Depleting Deer Numbers?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by NEMOBowhunter, Nov 10, 2010.

1. NEMOBowhunter

NEMOBowhunter Member

Oct 4, 2010
    NEMO
    Over the past 2-3 years the deer numbers in our area seem to be on a decline. I have been bowhunting for about 16 years and the past couple years have been the worst I have seen. The most deer I have seen in one sit this year is 5, and I have had a lot of hunts where I saw 0. One thing that worries me, is the fact that we hardly ever see does. We see mostly small bucks if we see anything at all. Don't get me wrong, I like seeing and harvesting bucks, but I like seeing does too! I attribute this to the antler restriction and people shooting more does, but it seems crazy not having the does around. Is it because Missouri allows you to purchase all the antlerless tags you want? I feel bad even drawing back on a doe. Does anybody else see similar trends, or is it just in my area? My whole family hunts and we are hunting spots that usually produce a lot of deer sightings, and this year it has been the same for all of us. Last year I blamed it on all the crops still in the field, but this year I don't have any good excuses. Not trying to start any rants, just looking for some opinions.

2. JrNation88

JrNation88 Active Member

Jan 2, 2009
    BOCO
    i believe there are folks who are educated in this type of thing and make their living studying it. they see alot more than we do just sitting in stands. So until they put out their research I will go with that all is okay...just my opinion

3. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

this year has been a strange year. i seen a TON of deer last year and for the past 6 years on our farm I have always seen deer every sit. this year i have sat twice and not seen a deer. very odd. less deer????? doubt it, but i cant pin point the reason for less deer sightings. i did however see my biggest buck and the one i have been after for 3 years not and...............well we wont talk about that story just yet:whinging:

4. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

my buddy flims for a huntin show and he even said across the us it has been slower than usual. for what its worth.................

5. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    Over the past 5 years we have seen less and less deer on our place.

6. deputy_d

deputy_d New Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Springfield
    Two things are attributing to this...

1.) Warmer weather

2.) Abundance of acorns

7. mathewsshooter89

mathewsshooter89 Active Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Osage County, Mo
    Theres defiently less does in my neck of the words but a lot more bucks both mature and immature. It seems like every buck i've got pictures of has atleast a point broken off because the competition for the does. If you want to kill does i guess its a bad thing but i like all the bucks

8. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

[rquote=1890594&tid=131686&author=deputy_d]Two things are attributing to this...

1.) Warmer weather

2.) Abundance of acorns[/rquote]

look back at years before. i think we have had one of the coolest past few weeks(besides this week) although i can remember past few years the first week of november has been warm for a few years now. acorns..................think it varies we had a horrible year for acorns on our place this year

9. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    crops came out early this year yes...but there was a HUGE acorn crop no reason for deer to leave the woods or travel for food and sure no reason for them to bunch up they can just kinda hang out were the are.

no doubt im sure there are areas that have fewer deer i know blue tounge got some areas again seems to happen some place every year any more

alot of factors play in to what we see setting on one or two farms hunting it don't necessarly reflect the whole picture however

i got to dig in the numbers a year or two ago and it was quite shocking how few hunters in the big picture really kill more than one deer and the number that kill more than two or three drops to some unbelievely low percentage so the unlimited doe tags i really don't fell affect much sure if you have some trigger happy group its possible they could work on the population of a small isolated area pretty severally but thats sure not the norm

over all i feel the population in the the several counties i traverse is still doing very good some are probley in my view at a pretty deicent number others still way to high

if you have concerns id voice them to mdc in an educated manner and see what happens

10. RAKMAN

RAKMAN Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Cape Girardeau
    Significantly less deer on our lease in Clark Co, has diminshed severly over the 15 years we have hunted it with the last four showing huge declines. I wish they would do away with the unlimited doe tags.

11. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    to me a lot of it up here is dry and crunchy.kind of freaks the bigger bucks.but yep the numbers are gonna be down this year on does i bet:wave:

12. Kickers288

Kickers288 Active Member

[rquote=1890618&tid=131686&author=coyotehunter]to me a lot of it up here is dry and crunchy.kind of freaks the bigger bucks.but yep the numbers are gonna be down this year on does i bet:wave:[/rquote]

walk softer buck watcher, walk softer

13. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I saw 20 between monday Night and Tuesday night.:wave:

I think the EHD outbreak a few years back really hit some local populations pretty hard.

14. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    mexico,mo.
    not having that problem walking thru the food plot nothing there but dirt:D

15. Dalton

Dalton Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Warren County
    I've seen fewer doe's on the trail cam pics over the past 2 seasons. I bet I see 6 different bucks to every doe.:confused:

16. Tarsal Gland

Tarsal Gland Active Member

Jan 17, 2010
    KC
    They are down in my areas too...I blame it on all the firearms seasons :cheers:

17. ymurf

ymurf Active Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Steelville, Mo.
    I have a friend that believes its from killing to many does..I am starting to agree with him.When you kill a doe your probably killing 5-10 deer.

18. Jeremy

Jeremy REGULAR MEMBER

Dec 22, 2006
    [rquote=1890638&tid=131686&author=Tarsal Gland]They are down in my areas too...I blame it on all the firearms seasons :cheers:[/rquote]

I believe it's from all the arrowed and not recovered archery deer :)

19. mag1

mag1 New Member

I think all the does must be in my area :) I see on an average 8-15 deer a day. 3 or 4 are bucks, but alot of does. Now last friday seen 22 deer- 8 were bucks and 14 does. The next few days 1-2 bucks and 8-10 does a day.
    It has been that way all season.