Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using this new Dell? It runs Ubunto OS that I am not familar with.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
You can get it with xp home too. I have one from work and use it while out in the field.

Not too bad. They are mainly for web surfing and light email.

Linux isn't bad, but if you are not used to it... it can give you fits.

These style laptops (netbooks) are great for lightweight and traveling.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Porter, I guess they dont come with a cd/dvd drive. Would be nice to be able to watch a movie on the airplane. I think HP has one out as well, dont know what they call it.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
There are a lot out now and all the netbooks are without cd/dvd roms. You can get an external one.

The one I have is a solid state drive (only 16gb drive). I'd have to look to see if the dell's have a regular hard drive.

If you are interested in one, the MSI Wind and the Asus EEE PC are two great ones too.

I get about 4 hours of use on the battery with the mini 9. It's a neat little toy and they are finally taking off. Don't expect them to do a lot of heavy use though, you have to realize what they are built for and use them within that means...

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, surfing the net, e-mail and some web base apps? What are some of the things you do with yours?

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I'm the network admin at our university and I take it to the dorms and do my network tests with it. Make sure all is working fine in the dorms.

When I get it to the house, I do a lot of web surfing on it. They are slower than normal machines and you have to have patience. Just even loading the web browser takes more time. Once all is going, it's a nice lil machine to have around.

I've tried running office on it, and it's ok. I wouldn't recommend heavy office application use, but it is able to watch videos just fine.

They weigh next to nothing, so that's a huge advantage of them... My biggest complaint is the small keyboard... my fat fingers always hit more than one key. I can type the real way and I find myself just using my index finger to type on it. It's quicker that way.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was thinking about getting the Better Half one for Christmas, but she's not gonna like the keyboard, maybe will have to look at a regular laptop-any recomendations on a small one. I am on my second one with the number pad built in. These are a little big for what she would use hers for. We have an Ambulance Billing business and we run all Dell Vostros right now-been happy but dont know about their laptops.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Now you may want to look at the 12 inch models. All the companies have them and they are bigger keyboards. I believe they are close to the same price too. Dell's is called mini 12:)

Dell are what we purchase at the University and we've had good luck with them. The corporate HP's are real good too.

Let me see what else is out there and I'll send you some info.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts