Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
20,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Avian "breeder" hen finally went the way of my 1/4 strut Jake decoy. Both decoys are no longer holding any air.. I'm sure they are both long past their warranty period. Has anyone came up with any quick fixes ? I'm considering using some spray foam and then demoting them to blind "only" duties so I won't be packing them around any longer.. Appreciate any suggestions or fixes anyone has found!

· Banned
66,381 Posts
Id patch the holes... but thats just me...

· Registered
20,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Id patch the holes... but thats just me...
The air is leaking around the section where the stake goes. Haven't found any hole to patch... might try some apoxy or superglue... just curious if anyone has a proven fix or has ever tore into a leaker before I get started on them..

· just a no body
16,264 Posts
googled it and found this
I used 5 minute epoxy and ran a thin bead around the edge of the stake tube where it is welded to the decoy rubber body. That may be enough to seal it air tight again. If not, you may have to drizzle enough epoxy into the stake tube to make a seal of about 1/8" while the decoy is upside down. I used a couple of 1x4's to prop the decoy in the position necessary to get the stake tube vertical.

Both of mine are air tight now. This should work well for you. If that doesn't seal them up, I would submerge in a tub to find the leak..

seems to be a common problem but super glue or some such around the stake hole seems to be the fix

· Registered
20,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Buy DSD's, someone had to say it.
That's the plan..... I'm going to try and get through this season with my Avian's.. next year will be DSD's...

Do the DSD's ever go on sale?:)

Are you better off just buying the entire flock or is there certain DSD deke "positions" that are better than others ?

As of now my DSD wish list is comprised of a Jake, Breeder Hen and a Feeding Hen....

· Registered
33,467 Posts
Scheels had a sale on them a year or so ago, I've not seen them on sale elsewhere.
I'd just buy the 'flock'... I pieced mine together and wound up with a feeder, 2 uprights and the jake & breeder.

15,014 Posts
The air is leaking around the section where the stake goes. Haven't found any hole to patch... might try some apoxy or superglue... just curious if anyone has a proven fix or has ever tore into a leaker before I get started on them..
I dropped some Gorrilla glue down mine 4 years ago, still holding

do not put to much down as it expands

Reactions: Skduckhunt

· Registered
2,060 Posts
I have 5 Avians. Most I've bought used. I wouldn't buy a new one. The stake pocket is problematic. I've had 2 come unwelded, and put a pole barn screw through their back into the top of the stake pocket, fixed that. Have one leaking now at the opening of the stake pocket where it's suppose to be welded to the body. Going to put some silicone or something around it. Look good, but are junk.

· Banned
11,379 Posts
Scheels had a sale on them a year or so ago, I've not seen them on sale elsewhere.
I'd just buy the 'flock'... I pieced mine together and wound up with a feeder, 2 uprights and the jake & breeder.
Scheels is a real sleeper for good deals and free shipping. They are going to rival and put a big hurting on everyone in the future if they aren't already.

· Banned
66,381 Posts
I was joking....

I didnt know the breeder had a stake??

15,014 Posts
The first year Avain's came out my buddy bought one, he blew it up in his basement, then took it out hunting in 100 degree temps, needless to say the valve blew out. He said it just kept getting bigger n bigger. Last 3 years I have not had to add any air to mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.