Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Road surface Grass Asphalt Paint Tints and shades

Brown Wood Trunk Art Tints and shades

Very First & last blood trail found 100-125 yards apart...

It kicked two feet when I shot it, ran 20 yards and laid down. When I crawled down the tree out of my self-climber stand I looked up & it was gone I thought it was dead for sure….

(The smaller blood is the last of the blood I could find after an hour of tracking)

What are the chances I recover this deer in the A.M. given the amount of blood? I could have sworn it was a double lung

·
Registered
9,669 Posts
I would say chances are high. I would consider getting help from a few people or a dog though as to take no chances. That foamy blood looks pretty good to me. I have heard that sometimes the cavity can actually produce foamy blood from a gut shot but that doesn’t look like gut blood to me so I think you hit something good and hope you find it man

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Lot of white hair there, was it a steep angle shot? That dark blood looks like liver to me. I'd of swore double lung a few times only to discover, due to the angle, I only got one. And they can and will go a long way on one lung. The fact it layed down right away I think would suggest the hit was further back and you got liver and/or gut also. I've never had a lung only hit deer lay down like that.
I double lunged one last night with an 06 and it had one of the lighted bloodtrails I've ever seen and went about 80 yards.
I'd say there's a good chance you'll find it, just may take awhile.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lot of white hair there, was it a steep angle shot? That dark blood looks like liver to me. I'd of swore double lung a few times only to discover, due to the angle, I only got one. And they can and will go a long way on one lung. The fact it layed down right away I think would suggest the hit was further back and you got liver and/or gut also. I've never had a lung only hit deer lay down like that.
I double lunged one last night with an 06 and it had one of the lighted bloodtrails I've ever seen and went about 80 yards.
I'd say there's a good chance you'll find it, just may take awhile.
This is the second deer I’ve shot with bow, was a very steep angle shot right below me about 10 yards.

I think you’re right about it being a liver shot because I single lunged a buck and it ran full speed for 50 yards crashed into a tree and toppled over.

This particular deer I Scouted for 3 hours walked a large 200-300 yard circle in every direction and the blood trail ended after 100 yards. So I think next time I shoot a deer I’m going to wait before tracking because I never thought a deer would lay completely down 20 yards after being shot then get up & run that far

1 - 16 of 16 Posts