Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is from bowhunter.
in highland park illinios, citizens funded a $369,000, four-year sterilization study. this is the results.
the study shows that costs were 1,000 per deer for the 67 does sterilized. it was a failured, after the four years and great expense, deer numbers remained high. with data collected researchers predicted the deer herd wont decrease, but will be stable in 9 years. conclusion the best, permanent, quickest, most cost-effcient deer birth-control system wears hunter orange. (but for us bowhunters we wear camo)
im mad cuz this year taxes had us pay a bunch of $$$ for this. when all they could of done was expand urban bowhunting. save us tax payers some $$$ and give us the oppertunity to get more venison. does any1 have that website where they did sterilize does here in MO?

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
:hysterical: We don't believe what they came up with in MO! We're going to do our own study.

Oh....and uh....the population will even out in 9 years?! :hysterical: Yeah....after your green grass and ornamental flowers are ate to the ground....and there's nothing else for the deer to eat.

:stickfight: GO HUNTERS!

Parker

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
didnt they do that sterilization here in MO? or was that more BS? i read it here on this forum.
got to ommit that damn crap if they did take that $$$ outa our taxes for that and it doesnt work.
deer is over time to kill yotes

·
Retired
9,540 Posts
They did a re-location I think near Maryland Heights a few years back-----save them poor things-----it fail----BAD!

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
Deer Still Plentiful In Town and Country
City officials find that relocating 122 deer a year is difficult.

ST. LOUIS -- Going into its third year of trapping and relocating deer, Town and Country still is struggling to find a workable solution to its urban deer quandary.

Conservation Department biologists counted 441 deer in an aerial survey of the St. Louis suburb last December. Factoring in the number of deer normally missed in such surveys, biologists with the Missouri Department of Conservation estimated the municipality's whitetail population was between 555 and 576.

That is 60 to 80 deer per square mile. The Conservation Department tries to maintain deer populations between 20 and 40 per square mile in rural areas to minimize property damage and deer-vehicle accidents. In urban areas, it aims for deer population density between 15 and 20 per square mile.

Town and Country's deer population was estimated at about 600 before the start of the trapping and relocation program in December 1998. Conservation Department biologists say that removing 120 female deer from the local deer population for two years in a row would bring the population to a more desirable level. A contract trapper removed 59 does in 1998-99, 44 in 1999-2000 and 48 in 2000-2001.

- Jim Low -

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
70,947 Posts
I know of a sure fire way to sterilize deer....:sniper:

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,463 Posts
Originally posted by callaojoe
I know of a sure fire way to sterilize deer....:sniper:
:eek: Shoot their junk off?! :eek:

That's one PRECISE shot! :D

I agree Joe! :wave:

Parker

·
Under appreciated
89,819 Posts
I am in St. Louie and Town and Country isnt the only suburb that has problems...

Lotsa deer in West county also. The big problem here is that people are divided dang near 50/50 on whether to make a REAL run at controlling the herd (and you know what I mean by that) or leaving them alone because they are "cute, innocent creatures"... That is why a lot of municipalities here cant get anything done.

I work with a guy that lives in Ballwin and he has a picture of his back yard just before dark and there is 13 deer in the photo. He said that there were 5 in the neighbors yard at the same time but his camera view wasnt wide enough!

He has spent money on hardy hibiscus, azaleas, you name it, they eat it. He tried to put one of those large wire baskets around a tree he planted and it was gone the next day! He ended up finding it down by the woods edge (his property backs up to Blueberry Park) put it back around the tree and it was gone the next day for good! Cant you just see some buck with that thing stuck to its headgear!

The deer are not alarmed at all when he goes out on his 2nd story deck... but if he tries to go down the stairs, they alert and are gone. He is an avid deer hunter and is really ticked off that he spent his hard earned money on thier dream home and he has all these problems. Sucks....

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
those were some good reads thanks. pisses me off they do that, end up suffering deer when they could of died a quick breathless death from my hoyt. funny thing where i live 300 yards is national forest, woods about 50 yards from my home, deer everywhere they dont bother me, nor the rabbits. didnt even see sign of rabbits in my garden. good for me.
yeah that is jacked up, someone pays there hard earned money for a place and deer end up ruining the property. i read some where they killed quite a few deer this urban portion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts