Featured Deer Stand Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by Woods, May 16, 2018 at 11:29 PM.

1. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I have been using a climber for many years, and I am not getting any younger.
    This fall I am thinking it is time for something that will stay in the tree for the season.
    Not sure if I want to go with a ladder stand or sticks and hang on.
    99% will be bow hunting with a compound bow.

*Not looking to do a box/enclosed stand for now.

SUGGESTIONS?

Thanks in Advance
    WOODS

2. ducksNbucks

ducksNbucks Senior Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Lathrop, MO
    Ladders are def easier to get in/out of than a hang on is.

DCSarchette, Bootheel Boy and Woods like this.

3. flatlander_

flatlander_ Really? Show me. .

My vote is ladder stands. I've gotten almost completely away from hang ons and don't regret it one bit. Ladders are just much easier to deal with imo.

DPx2 and Woods like this.
  4. Mailman

Mailman Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Blue Springs Mo
    Ladders can be a problem putting them up if you are alone but it can be done. Two people no problem putting one up. As of today I have 5 ladder stands and could use 2 or 3 more at a few more prime spots. It would be nice to have an enclosed deer stand when its raining or really cold just in case your old bones don't want to sit out in the weather.

5. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    I like to use my climbers as hangons with ladders steps

6. KRAZO

KRAZO Active Member

Jul 28, 2017
    Southwest MO
    Ladder. So easy to hunt out of one

7. WBF

WBF Wolf Brook Farms

Oct 25, 2013
    Ladders with zero gravity seats... one morning/evening in a zero gravity ladder stand like a millennium or X-Stand will have you selling every other stand you own!

A few pop up blinds for the ground or on 5 to 10 ft scaffolding or wooden built platform are really nice when it's cold or the rain/in-climate weather hits ...

Dafish and CentralSouthPaw like this.
  8. ILoveDeer

ILoveDeer Member

Dec 10, 2017
    I bought several of the X Stand Generals and I love them!!!! Already secured to the tree before you even start your first climb. Very roomy and comfortable.
    Mark

9. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Ladder stands for this old timer.... :D

10. Bootheel Boy

Bootheel Boy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    SEMO
    Ladder stands for me also. I like to replace the pins that hold the ladder sections together with nuts and bolts. Seems to make them a little quieter.

Woods likes this.
  11. venatic

venatic ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ladder stand here also.

Make sure you get the ones that have a platform that goes all the way back to the tree. Otherwise you'll have no place for your feet when standing for that all important shot.

Dafish likes this.
  12. gurgalunas

gurgalunas Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I prefer the sticks/hang-on for bow hunting, but you have to use a lifeline on those sticks. Ladder rails always seem to be in the way or require extra movement to get set for a shot if hunting the two man like I have. Noise is a problem with my ladders. Lots of squeaks and groans while climbing, shifting weight, wind blowing the tree, etc. Haven't tried the bolt fix though. I have a few 1 man ladders, but really hate them. The ones I got don't have seats that raise, and a small platform. Next to impossible to shoot a bow without space to move your feet. My fault for buying a crappy design, though. I do have one ladder I like called the "2 man bowman", can't recall the brand. It's designed differently than the traditional bench style ladder.

I buy hang-on stands with a pretty good size platform. Much easier to get feet set. If your reason for changing is really age concerns, the sticks can still be a chore to climb and move onto the stand.

13. topwater15

topwater15 Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Ladders are easy and if you use quality ratchets and take the seats in they will last for years. Alot of ladders on the property I hunt and all of them are oldie but goodies. We just check ratchets before each season and theyre still sturdy as ever. I think most are 5+ years old. Some close to 10

14. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Bootheel Boy likes this.
  15. Barnold1

Barnold1 Senior Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Plattsburg
    20' likes this.
  16. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    When I hang them, I take an extension ladder along and a big pulley. I hang the pulley about 3' higher than the stand will go and tie the ladder stand on. Attach the other end to the RTV and drive away. Just a matter of tweaking final resting place. And when you climb up the first time, it's already tied off. A lot safer for attaching ratchets...

Last edited: May 17, 2018 at 5:43 PM
    CRE10 likes this.
  17. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I like the https://x-stand.com/ ladder stand. Im also going to try the bolts verse pins on the ladder to quiet it down if necessary.

18. CRE10

CRE10 No to Drugs Yes to Hugs

Nov 18, 2013
    In a barn
    Good idea.

I man handle mine and then once they're upright I ratchet strap as high up as I can reach around tree and to rung of ladder so when I initially climb up it's somewhat secured and can't kick out.

gurgalunas likes this.
  19. gurgalunas

Jan 3, 2013
    Platte City
    I only set 2 man ladders for taking my daughter. When by myself, I rarely hunt ladders, so no need for 1 man.

Hanging a 2 man ladder is a bear, even with help...