Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have the outdoor edge kit. I haven’t killed a deer since I was gifted it last year though. It seems well made. The next deer I harvest I am going to try to do the gutless method and process my own.

·
2,029 Posts
I have this one. It's pretty nice. Blades are decent, saw is sharp, shears are heavy duty.

I have found myself using my Old Timer Sharpfinger and a three piece Schrade kit I've got though as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I bought a kit when i first started hunting but don't use it.. The blade quality and durability leave a lot of be desired in most kits, imho.

I quarter my game using a pair of Victorinox 6" boning blades and a Havalon. I keep a Landsky pocket sharpener in the pack and a Ken Onion belt sharpener at home.

·
Registered
32,991 Posts
I pretty much use a couple of filet knives for everything. I picked up a Cold Steel boning knife last year from Camofire. Haven't used it yet.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Like most have said it becomes a combo of what you find you like. I now use a couple of filet knives from the fishing section to work on the quarters. Havalon folding knife with replacing blades and a 110 Buck Knife or KaBar folder for the field.
I did add a hatchet to my kit this year for pelvic bone if a sawsall Is not around.
A couple years back I found my own box and essentially made my own kit. Now it’s a small Rubbermaid with each kind of knife i like cleaned and bagged. double gallon zip locks for the loins and tenderloins, and game bags or unscented trash bags for the quarters. Quick sharpener, Honing stone, need to add the Ken Onion belt, Makes for a nice one stop filet shop!

Reactions: 260rem

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
For 30 plus years I've used my Buck 110.....gutting....skinning...deboning and finishing different cuts of meat. That's it. All in one knife.

Buck been using steel similar to American made D-2 tool steels with a hardness of around 58 RC(I tested many). Takes and hold a edge superior to what those from outdoor edge will ever. Benchmade is using some high-teck tool steels now that are excellent. Japanese make some of the best for the food industry's.

·
Registered
31,987 Posts
I would not recommend those kits. I would buy something like this Amazon.com: Victorinox Swiss Classic Boning Knife with Narrow, Flexible Blade 6" : Home & Kitchen or just use a fillet knife if you already have one. If you are doing something that requires sawing through bone get a stainless sawzall blade or a hacksaw if you don't have a sawzall (you should turn in your man card if thats the case). It is hard to beat a worksharp either. About 5 swipes on each side will tune them right up.

·
Lunch break commander
8,762 Posts
This has been my everything deer knife for a couple years. It was a Pastor appreciation gift from our church. Blade says elk ridge.
Plant Wood Natural material Hunting knife Blade
Wood Blade Hunting knife Quill Fashion accessory
Brown Wood Rectangle Beige Font

1 - 20 of 30 Posts