Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, do the deer move earlier in the evening and later in the morning when the weather is as cold as it is, or do they tend to bed more to conserve energy. Also I have heard a deer won't travel much in late season, they will bed close to food source to prevent travel, how much of this is true. I need your advice please.

·
Registered
31,310 Posts
all of the above in my experiance.
I'll let ya know in a wekk when i check my cam. theyre straight tearing up the turnips right now, hopefully the last through ML season. set the cam over the plot today..so we'll see who's eatin and when

·
Registered
23,529 Posts
Evening hunts @ food sources have always been my best bet in the late season. The first day of a thaw after an extended period of snow and ice is my favorite time to be in the woods during the late season. :cheers:

·
Registered
75 Posts
You will usually see them moving a little bit later in the morning and stay moving longer in the morning and you see them earlier in the evening from my experience which means a little less time in the woods but if you can find were they bed at and were they are eating that is were you want to be as they will go food and bed and thats about it

·
King of the White Ninjas
25,321 Posts
Since it's gotten colder this week I've been out every morning and eavning except this morning...majority of the morning movement is happening between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. and the majority of the eavning is between 3:30 and 4:30. I was fortunate enough to draw a tag for an inner city deer hunt here in Topeka (archery only). This is the first year they've ever allowed this place to be hunted. Seeing anywhere between 25 to 50 deer a hunt and they have no idea what pressure is so they're moving like they normally would.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Its been my exp that the evening is by far the best this time of year. If it gets in the single digets midday will be pretty good. The first day of good thaw after this snow were supposed to get will be the bomb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts