Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been making deer jerky from ground meat. I was just reading online that you have to put the strips in the oven before putting in the dehydrator? Is this the case because I have just been using the jerky gun and putting it in the dehydrator for 7 hrs. I have given some away I just hope no one get sick off of it. Ha. Any info would be appreciated

·
1,197 Posts
I'm not sure what you are using for curing your jerky but you should allow it to cure in the refrigerator for a day after mixing seasoning and cure into your ground meat. Then you can roll it out and cut it into strips or us a jerky cannon(my preferred method) and then dehydrate in an oven or dehydrator.

·
Registered
541 Posts
That's the first I've ever heard of that. I have been making mine with ground for years. I buy the seasoning packets at Wal-Mart, run them through the jerky gun, and stick them in the dehydrator for about 8 hours. Good stuff! :eek::

·
Registered
218 Posts
As long as you're using a spice packet that either contains cure or has a seperate cure packet, you should be ok. For example, I use the Nesco/American Harvest spice packets that come with a cure packet. Sprinkle both in, mix real good, shoot into strips and fire up the dehydrator. All is good.

·
Registered
752 Posts
[rquote=1485290&tid=103793&author=Kevin13]As long as you're using a spice packet that either contains cure or has a seperate cure packet, you should be ok. For example, I use the Nesco/American Harvest spice packets that come with a cure packet. Sprinkle both in, mix real good, shoot into strips and fire up the dehydrator. All is good.[/rquote]

x2:cheers:

·
6,643 Posts
It was my understanding that the only thing the "cure" does is give you an extended shelf life. When I make jerky it doesn't last long enough to need a shelf life.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I use deer burger in the jerky I make. Been making it this way for years. I've never put it in the oven before hand. I use a homemade recipe, salt, pepper, and some other ingredients, comes out good every time.

·
17,674 Posts
Im a whole meat jerky man myself.:cheers:

·
2,644 Posts
What temp in the oven and how long does it take to dehydrate that way?

·
17,674 Posts
Temp= low as it will go. Leave door cracked and its done when you have it at the chewiness you like it. Some people like it dryer and others a little softer. I would say 4-6hrs. I usually check it ever hour and a half.

·
2,644 Posts
Im gonna go try that. Ill let you know how it is about 9 tonight

·
17,674 Posts
I will add that if you use an oven it doesn't take as long as it would if you use a dehydrator. Might wanna keep a closer eye on your first batch till you get it figured out. You all are makin me hungry!:claphands::claphands::cheers::cheers:

·
2,644 Posts
6 hrs in oven at 175......delicious. Especially for my first try!!

·
17,674 Posts
[rquote=1486934&tid=103793&author=goosekilla]6 hrs in oven at 175......delicious. Especially for my first try!![/rquote]

Care to share your recipe?:D:cheers:

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you decide to make your own spice mix for the ground meat, I think Kevin13 is correct about the must-have salt or cure. I've always been told that it kills bacteria. You can use plain old table salt or buy the Morton's Tender Quick cure. I use Tender Quick in my summer sausage recipe.

·
17,674 Posts
As far as seasonings go I also like to make my own. Any store bought stuff gets doctored up so much that it basically becomes homemade anyway. I love the stuff. I may have to make some over the holiday.:cheers:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have the processor shave as much round into jerkey for me as possible...then I soak the meat in soy sauce for 2 days...the sodium really makes it tender and reduces any game flavor in the meat. Pat it dry then spice it, throw it in the oven a few hrs later....GOOD STUFF.

If you've never tried it, soaking beef or deer in a little soy sauce as a marinade works really really well. Throw it in a zip lock bag in the fridge for a few hrs....mmmmmm makes GREAT steaks.

·
17,674 Posts
[rquote=1487206&tid=103793&author=Twinacreshunting]I have the processor shave as much round into jerkey for me as possible...then I soak the meat in soy sauce for 2 days...the sodium really makes it tender and reduces any game flavor in the meat. Pat it dry then spice it, throw it in the oven a few hrs later....GOOD STUFF.

If you've never tried it, soaking beef or deer in a little soy sauce as a marinade works really really well. Throw it in a zip lock bag in the fridge for a few hrs....mmmmmm makes GREAT steaks. [/rquote]

I will have to try that.:cheers:

·
Registered
541 Posts
You can't hardly mess it up if you put what you like in it. For the shaved stuff, I soak it overnight in the fridge in a marinade of soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, cracked black pepper, garlic powder, liquid smoke, and crushed red pepper. I also love hot stuff, so I throw in some Tabasco or Franks' Red Hot.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts