Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I think about buying one of the jerky making things to make the ground up jerky and have never got around to it. Always just make it the old fashioned way. How about it, do you like the ground up stuff as well as the regular kind?

Anybody got any good homade recipe for the ground up kind?

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
i dont know if its as good, but i dont have a problem with it. for me its easier to make. i just use a Jerky shooter. i really like it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I my self do not like it ground up. If you grind it up you cant call it jerky
anymore. I have one of them slicers you can get for about 80 bucks.
I let the meat thaw just a little then slice it thin. I just made a batch
a couple of weeks ago and it lasted for about 3 hours around a
bunch of hunting buddies. they said it was the best they ever tasted.
they asked me what ingrediants I use but I told them i could not begin to tell them
because I do not even know. seems like I make it different every time.
It usually turns out good though.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
I slice mine and then into the dehydrater. I do use the spices that Walmart sells for the Jerky Shooter. I take two packages and a cup of water for about 3lbs of sliced meat. Mix it up real good add some Cajun spices and let the meat soak in it for 24 hours. Gotta admit it makes some real good Jerky.

·
Registered
70,468 Posts
I do mine the way robinc76 does. Different every time. I prefer the sliced over the ground any day. But I usually run out of meat to slice so ground it is later in the year. I use my oven and a Jerky Shooter. Experiment with different things in your kitchen. It is all good.

·
Registered
12,626 Posts
I have two different dehydrator's, one is a cheap one that I got at Wally World for about $20 a few years ago. If I remember right it goes to 125-130. Has a fan on it and takes 5 trays about 6 hours.

The second is a Ronco (as seen on TV) that someone gave me, not sure of the temp but this one takes much longer to get the job done. At least twice as long.

I use the and like the one from Wally World the most. I have recently started experimenting with different cures for the jerky, but whatever I use, it still has to soak for at least a day.

·
1,291 Posts
I agree with everyone else...sliced is better than ground. Ground is a lot easier but you can't beat chewing on a flavorful piece of sliced jerky! :cheers:

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have done both. The sliced meat is better than the ground, but the ground is pretty good too. There is a spice kit available at BP or Wal-Mart with the pre-mixed for ground. I once bought a multi-flavor sample package to use. I think the flavors were garlic, original, smokey, and cajun. I liked the original best. As for sliced meat, I prefer a wet marinade, in which I use my Food Saver vacuum container to marinade the meat. The ground is less messy but more of a pain because the jerky shooter. The sliced is messy, but easy to get set-up. At the end of the day, it comes down to using what ever meat you have available.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
I know I eat about 10 times as much if its ground instead of sliced! Easier to chew and move on to another peice! :D

Parker

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I will try making some of the ground kind this year but I'm not going to give up the sliced kind, I like it to much.

Jerky don't last long around here especially when the grand kids are here.

If the ground kind is a lot easier to make mayby I'll make up a bunch to feed the grandkids. That way I can save the good stuff for me. lol

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
I dont care for the ground either..

Got one of those snackmaster dehydrators and bought 3 extra trays for it.
Makes a lot at a time :eek:

The real question is do you like a wet cure or a dry cure?

I really like a this wet cure I have been using the past couple of years..
it has worstechire, soy, lotsa terryaki, salt (of course) and cayenne pepper to taste..
24hours min, 36hours max to cure.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use a wet cure/marinade. I never make mine exactly the same but here are some ingrediants I usually use, Soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Liquid smoke, Black pepper, Garlic (powder or fresh crushed), onions, Salt, Brown sugar and some pepper powder I made out of 6 or 7 different peppers I dried and powdered in the food processor. I have that powder in hot and mild.
I marinate for at least 12 hours in a gallon zipper bag in the refrigerator. I take it out several times and squish it around. I like this better than putting it in a bowl. I have 2 dehydrators both have fans. Temp around 135 degrees.

·
Registered
835 Posts
When I do the cut strip and marinade method, I lay the meat on the dehydrator trays and then lightly sprinkle pepper on the meat. When I put pepper in the maranade, it never seems to distibute very well because it floats.

·
Under appreciated
92,120 Posts
Originally posted by novicehunter
When I do the cut strip and marinade method, I lay the meat on the dehydrator trays and then lightly sprinkle pepper on the meat. When I put pepper in the maranade, it never seems to distibute very well because it floats.
cracked black pepper prolly wont but I guarantee if you use cayenne or dried hot peppers as grumpy does
you will feel the heat..

·
Registered
21,423 Posts
My family prefers the ground up jerky. I usually make my own wet batch, but the dry seasoning that came with my dehydrator is pretty good too. That and the jerky shooter are both pretty cheap at wally world and other places. I like the slices too, but they take longer, so its pretty much ground jerky at our place these days.

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,499 Posts
Originally posted by Mailman
Originally posted by Parker
I know I eat about 10 times as much
We can tell by looking at you Parker!!:D
:hysterical: You should've seen rat's face when he saw me crawl out of my Chevy Malibu the other day when we met! He just said "you are a big ol' boy, aren't you." HEHEHE!

Parker

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.