Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went walking down the trail to the clover plots in the bottoms in the morning the other day, Ran 9 deer out of my clover plot, one of them was a buck had had lil velvet nubs about 3" tall on his head. Walked out in them and the clover was over the top of my knees, THe deer are hitting the tops of the plants really hard though right now, It's already starting to look like last fall when when they were mowing them down. I wish I would have had a camera so I could've got you guys some pics. I never dreamed I could grow clover over the top of my knees, espicially by the 1st week of May! Was wondering if anybody else had any about ready to brushog? Mine as blooms all over the plants already so i don't know whether to brushog now are wait another 2-3 weeks?

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I don't think mowing it now is a good idea. although it would grow back fast with the moisture mowing between april to mid june is not smart as far as wildlife goes theres probaly a turkey nest or two in it.....maybe a small fawn some baby rabbits or quail nest...... this is the worst time of the year to mow
leave it be.

the clover will dry up and fade once it gets hot and dry you can mow it later and get more fall growth.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
I just wish our clover would pop up to a height anywhere like your's....

·
Registered
18,763 Posts
My clover is the same way. Knee high and being used alot. Mine is also flowered out, probably about 70%.
HFF raises some good points about mowing the clover at this time of year, but this is actually a pretty big topic to those who have clover plots. The problem is that you do run a little risk of those things, on the other hand once the clover gets that tall it has less benefit nutritionally for the wildlife that are eating it. Ideally you want to mow your clover plots 2 or 3 times throughout the spring and summer in order to keep the new lush growth which is both better for and higher in preference and palatability for the deer.
I am planning on mowing mine sometime within the next week or so if I can catch the right weather and have the chance to do it. Just make sure you mow prior to a good rain chance. You never want to mow the clover and catch a drought...bad news for your clover.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice all, Hey hoyt do u remember what the recomended height is when I cut it, I only cut it once last year, b/c it was on it's first year & i know i cut it to short. My plan is to mow both and then my bio logic plot is in terrible need of some herbicide to kill grass. So I need rain after I mow and then i need to spray some poast about a week later or so.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
what danger do you run of suffocating the clover with clippings when you cut it and it is that high?...never had this problem (I wish)...but just curious...

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
The main thing to remember about cutting clover is to not cut so much off that the mulch inhibits some of the growth. If you nip the tops off of them then you will be fine. I would say take a third off of them. White clovers will soon be shutting down some of their growing when the hotter weather hits. Sounds like you have a wonderful plot...I would recommend getting Ed Spinnazola's book on food plots...it would be a great 20.00 investment on your food plotting future.

·
Registered
7,519 Posts
I cut mine back to about 10 inches and will do so in about a week or so. We also start bailing alfalfa at half bloom and that should be at the end of May. New growth supposedly has the highest protein and palatability for our antler growers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.