Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took this from the MDC website
Turkey and deer may not be hunted with the aid of bait. If you put out food for deer or turkey in an area you intend to hunt, be sure to mark your calendars with a date to remove all food. See below for guidelines on baiting.
Use of bait while huntingâ€"which includes grain or other feed placed or scattered so as to attract deer or turkeysâ€"is illegal.
An area is considered baited for 10 days even after complete removal of the bait.
A hunter can be in violation even if he or she did not know an area was or is baited.
It is illegal to place bait in a way that causes others to be in violation of the baiting rule.
Scents and minerals, including salt, are not considered bait.

So If I have some feeders out... (the kind that hang in a tree and spin out corn). Do I need to remove the feeders? Or can I leave them empty hanging? Just curious. Also, when do I turn them off? thanks..

·
Registered
13,802 Posts
I'd take them out, completely. COs have plenty of leeway interpreting the law, no point in giving them any extra leeway.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
To be on the safe side just remove the feed AND the feeder a couple of weeks before the area is hunted.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I plan to remove the feed, but not the feeder. Since gun season is the 11th of Nov. I plan on going and remving and throwing out the grains about Oct. 28 or 29. Thats hould give me certainly 11 days or better.

·
5,632 Posts
Keep in mind that the area has to be CLEAR of all bait by 10 days prior to the season. Make sure that all the corn is eaten by Nov. 1 or you might have problems.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
Originally posted by bigredhusker
Took this from the MDC website
Turkey and deer may not be hunted with the aid of bait. If you put out food for deer or turkey in an area you intend to hunt, be sure to mark your calendars with a date to remove all food. See below for guidelines on baiting.
Use of bait while huntingâ€"which includes grain or other feed placed or scattered so as to attract deer or turkeysâ€"is illegal.
An area is considered baited for 10 days even after complete removal of the bait.
A hunter can be in violation even if he or she did not know an area was or is baited.
It is illegal to place bait in a way that causes others to be in violation of the baiting rule.
Scents and minerals, including salt, are not considered bait.

I wouldn't throw the feed OUT of the feeder 10 days before a season. You would be in violation.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
what is the definition of area that you hunt,can you feed a portion of your property that you dont hunt and if you can what would be the legal exceptance of how far away you have to be,lets say you have a 50 acre plot and an 80 acre plot you plan on hunting the 50 for rifle and the 80 for bow,so you leave feed out longer for the rifle area(50 acres),now these plots do connect, is this legal or not ???

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
i know a guy who had a feeder out, and took all of the bait out way before
season.
co agent checked the area, "they were being watched" found two kernels of corn.
guess what the result was.
they are very serious about the bait being COMPLETELY REMOVED.
large tickets by the way.

·
5,632 Posts
Originally posted by Pipe
what is the definition of area that you hunt,can you feed a portion of your property that you dont hunt and if you can what would be the legal exceptance of how far away you have to be,lets say you have a 50 acre plot and an 80 acre plot you plan on hunting the 50 for rifle and the 80 for bow,so you leave feed out longer for the rifle area(50 acres),now these plots do connect, is this legal or not ???
Up to the agent's discression.

·
Registered
70,367 Posts
Pipe if you are sitting in your stand on that bow plot and the agent can prove that the deer are traveling through your bow hunting area to get to the other plot that has the feed you are in violation. If you are anywhere withing that specific deers line of travel going to a feeder even if you were another hunter on anothers land you could be ticketed. There isn't a definate acreage given in the books. Lets say you went to a MDC area and hung your stand early one morning and unbeknowest to you just 50 yards away across the boundry fence there was a feeder belonging to a non-hunter just wanting to feed the deer you would get a ticket if you stuck a deer going to that feeder. So....BRH I'd sure pull those feeders at least 2 weeks prior to anyone hunting your area or even close to your area.

·
Under appreciated
91,815 Posts
Originally posted by igor
i know a guy who had a feeder out, and took all of the bait out way before
season.
co agent checked the area, "they were being watched" found two kernels of corn.
guess what the result was.
they are very serious about the bait being COMPLETELY REMOVED.
large tickets by the way.
Just what I was gonna say... they might even find husks or similar residue and
could legally ticket you.

I know that sounds nitpicky but how is the agent to know whether there has been nothing in the feeder for 10 days or
did the feeder just throw the last bit the previous night??

I say take the feeder out or take a chance.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
we take our feeders out about 2nd week of october just to be sure,usually theres no feed anywhere near the area by that time,last year we found that someone dumped a load of muddy corn on the logging road right at are fence line ,wasnt anybody hunting any where close but made ya think if one was setting us up,I was just wondering what the legalities were and I guess what your saying is be safe and not feed till after your done hunting:cheers:,thanks always wondered why they were never specific in the book

·
Registered
21,514 Posts
I think they should go ahead and let people Bait,cause a lot less problems and ?????

I had a neighbor Bait my place without me knowing it.I noticed it and called the Agent,nothing was done with the neighbor,but if I would have been caught hunting my own property,even though I didn't Bait it I could have got in serious trouble.

Plus even though it wasn't Illegal I remember when people would look down on people hunting over Salt.I don't know how many times I've heard people saying ^&$$#( Salt Lickers.

oneshot
:D The Big Grin like Apples.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.