Deer contests ?

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by Bear, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Bear

Bear New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I'm getting a little tired of deer contests and now a proposed shed contest ! It feels like I'm in a competatipn with all the various contests and emphasis on P@Y as well as B@C plus Mo. big bucks. I know guys want a standard to compare their deer with. But, it appears contests takes the hunting factor from the sport and makes it a little less enjoyable. As for me I could care less if I have a book buck,( although I have a few that would qualify for some book) it is the hunt that is important.
    Now don't any of you take this personally, I'm bored today. What is your take on the situation.
  2. krb963

krb963 New Member

Jan 20, 2005
    No offense to you Bear, but if the contests makes hunting less enjoyable for you, then not participating seems to be what you need to do. Then you will have no reason to not enjoy these hunting events as much. For others the contests add more "sport" and "enjoyment" to things that people already love to do. Just my .02.

3. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    4 words..

To Each His Own..

Now that thats said, some people do like the competition part, i for one do, i love the competition.. no it doesnt make me cut corners etc..

The shed contest on here, if thats what your referring to, is all just in fun.. cuz even if we all tried our hardest, hayzer would whoop us newayz :ass:
  4. coyotehunter

coyotehunter PURE KILLER

Jan 19, 2005
    yah don't have to look at the topic if you don't want to.i myself like to see what everyone is finding makes me want to get out more and see if the luck on my side and see what made it through last year.
  5. Squatter

Squatter Member

Aug 15, 2003
    St. Peters MO
    If you don't care to participate, don't. Some folks like these. After all, it is just for fun. No BFD.
  6. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I'm not really into alot of the big buck contests, but our deer contest had no semblence of one of those and I thought it was alot of fun.
    As for the shed contest, more people will come up empty handed than find some so i don't think it's a big deal. More than anything just ensentive to get out there and poke around.
    In my opinion, if it's all truly in good fun I'm all for it
  7. cowboy

cowboy New Member

i'm not crazy about the contests either, but if done the right way with everyone having a funloving attitude about them they can be a way to bring everyone together and get people participating. my thing is that i think of hunting in the sense of me competing against my quary, and to tell you the truth these mature bucks a kicking my butt! so i really dont like to compete against my fellow hunters too. i entered the contest last fall for some fun and in my opinion it didnt go over so well. so i think i will be sitting out this fall. like Rebelcj7 said to each his own. so good luck to everyone in all future contests.:dancin:
  8. clansey

clansey New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Bozeman, MT

I personally enjoy seeing these competitions. With more hunters passing on younger deer, we are seeing some of the great potential mature whitetail deer can produce. Contests allow us to catch a glimpse of the high quality deer we might produce. Why pick fruit before it’s ripe?
  9. cowboy

cowboy New Member

i just think some people love competition. i know people who could make a competition out of just about anything. as far as getting more people to shoot mature deer i believe that the hunters who enter the deer contests are the ones who are going to pass the younger deer anyway. i think its just a gamble on whose going to shoot the biggest deer not just a big deer.
  10. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

The shed contest on here is just a bunch of good folks getting together at the Spring Campout and comparing antlers. Parker, I think, has donated a striker to the member with the largest find. It's all in good fun, with a bunch of good 'ol boys, at a great outing. And if you don't like it you don't have to enter.

As far as "bigger" Big Buck Contests that offer 4-wheelers and cash prizes for the biggest rack and so forth, I do not favor them as I feel that they promote poaching. Just my .02 cents...
  11. WhiteTailer

WhiteTailer Active Member

Apr 20, 2005
    i think that contests are ok from a competitive standpoint. i also think that in a Contest just looking at the size of the antlers isnt really a contest.

what about a contest that involved a point scoring system:

More or less points for shooting on the ground than in a tree stand.
    More or less points for getting closer than taking a 60 yrd gut shot!!
    More or less points for shot placement
    more or less points for tracking distance and time.
    then antlers,rack,body size and weight.

could be fun i think.
  12. Bear

Bear New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I have no problem wiyth people comparing sheds, it makes me feel good to know there are still some shooters out there. I guess I didn't word it quite right about contests. Every person should be proud of what they bag or have seen. It just seems it promotes some illegal activity by a few and some guys get the macho thing "My deer is bigger than your deer" I guess I'm put out a little by the actions of two guys on my lease. They are normally nice guys, but when the season opens, they will do ANYthing to mess up other hunters ,fight over stands, shoot at deer to scare them away for some one else who might have a chance at one, build stands right on deer trails or buildstands to cut off other guys. They arte just plain unethical slobs and very competative to the point it's noyt fun anymore. But, I have to put up with it as it is the only p-lace I have to hunt.
    Don't get me wrong, I like looking at a big buck as much as anything, I miss going to the check station and see what comes in . My best wishes to all who get their trophy reguardless of size.
    Thanks for letting me vent a little. I appreciate it.
  13. MoBowHunter

MoBowHunter New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    Central Missouri
    yeah the points scoring thing would be great...but then that takes away from our whole point of contests which is shootin mature bucks and letting the young bucks walk....take no offense please..but thats just my opinion maybe have a points system but you cant take away the size of the deer and its rack because like i said its defeating the purpose...personally i wasnt really happy with the contest on here i wasnt even allowed in at the get together....bc i guess you were suppose to sign up on here...the last thing i read on the contest was sign up at the camp out and then school had me really busy and work so i didnt get on the comp to read up on i think a contest would be great for the website but maybe just dealt with in a different manner
  14. Bowkil

Bowkil New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Ozark Plateau
    if there wasnt any contests, us hunters would still post the pics of our kills. and if i shot huge nontypical or a 160+ i would shure and hell post it up on here!
    theses contests are mainly for braggin rights and showing off who killed the biggest buck, now these contests that i seen on the internet before where you pay $20 and who ever shot the biggest buck got the jackpot i have a problem with!
    opening day of bow im shooting any size deer that gets close to me, weather its a spike or a button, but i wont shoot a fawn with spots. then when i get my first kill of the year so i get meat in the fridge im going after mature does and bucks, let the little ones walk. but ill shoot anything expet fawns with spots to get some meat in the freezer.
  15. doublelung

doublelung New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Get a different lease or send those two packing. I would not tolerate or hunt with anyone who does what you describe. I can see your frustration but it doesn't stem from any contset on this board. On our lease you wouldn't see the second weekend if you acted like that and if you shoot a buck less than 8 points and inside it's ears......Bye, Bye.. That is with the exception of a cull buck with a jacked up rack.
  16. kcraider21

kcraider21 New Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Belton, MO
    Ever heard of friendly competition? Some folks enjoy doing something different and challenging. Striving for bigger and better. It is human nature.
  17. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    I like competition, thats why I like to fish bass tournaments, but it is all in the way you approach it, I do it for fun as well as any other contest, But I dont beat myself up over it if I dont do well because I enoy the thrill of the competition. If it ever gets to be anything else, Im Out!
  18. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    what ever floats your boat. i am as competative as they come in just about everything else except for hunting. when i am hunting it is my chance to get away from all that so i choose not to compete. i have passed the stage of killing the little ones but that is by choice not because i am trying to one up someone else. i do believe the larger contest with substantial prizes hurt hunting as a whole, i think a bunch of good old boys and girls getting together for bragging rights is down right AMERICAN. so like it has been already said, to each his/her own.
  19. X Bow T

X Bow T Original Cafe'Member

Nov 21, 2002
    N & S of the MO
    It's to honor the animal!:hysterical::wink4: