Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
The bigger the decoy the more weight you will need. Also the current and wake needs to be thought about too. Once the weight bounces one time its gonna float away.

·
Under appreciated
91,781 Posts
Why not let these guys know exactly where you are hunting so you can get a recommendation thats accurate. :D

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
[rquote=1538817&tid=107215&author=kgdog]i doubt 8 will cut it on a river with current [/rquote]
I agree we have 3' pontoon goose decoys on river and we use 16oz.and railroad spikes wrapped around the lead cause the current is swift. Plus that 20' line will add drag also.

·
Registered
20,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[rquote=1538822&tid=107215&author=rat]Why not let these guys know exactly where you are hunting so you can get a recommendation thats accurate. :D[/rquote]

okay, dont tell anyone but i have a lake that i have permission to hunt. all of you are welcome to hunt it. its on the right side of 44 in front of six flags. just tell em leasburg said it was okay. lots of banded geese. good luck and god bless. all the dekes are rigged up with 8 0z might grap some spikes though ducks.

·
13,528 Posts
Leasburg,

you can lessen the amount of weight needed with a longer line..as the decoy is less likely to lift the weight if it is not right above it. decoys don't normally drag weights, but lift with wave action...

·
Registered
20,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my 8oz are on their so i think i will just rap it in a spike like ducks said. then it will be 12 oz or more. I am hunting were the missouri and mississippi meet so the current is rough.

G

·
[rquote=1538766&tid=107215&author=leasburg]

8 oz enough for goose floaters for most normal conditions on river[/rquote]

Not a chance. If your string was twice as long as the water is deep they might hold with no wind or current, :) aside from that, no. Go with at least a pound and make sure your strings are more than long enough. Also a grapple will hold more per ounce than a lead strip or sinker. But you probably already knew that.

·
13,528 Posts
Leasburg,

the divers were all over the sand bar on monday....The geese die there regularly... Hopefully the ice will do you guys right!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.