DECOY RESULTS - WORTH THE RISK?

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by eric777, Oct 26, 2010.

1. eric777

eric777 New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Hey Guys,
    We are going the 4-10th of November to hunt a farm in Milan Missouri and I'm thinking baout taking a buck decoy. I have never tried the decoy method but I certtainly have seen it used a bunch. Have any of u used them with good results?
    Thanks
    Eric

2. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    Never hunted with one. I'm sure you'll get some info from the many who have.
    But welcome to MWT. :wave:

3. Dirtdog

Dirtdog Active Member

Jul 23, 2009
    ive never used one either. however i bought a scarface primos decoy and plan on using it tomorrow afternoon. hope it works out

4. 20 feet high

20 feet high CROSSBOW HATER!

Feb 19, 2009
    yes, I wouldn't use them near a road:cheers:

5. eric777

eric777 New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Thanks for the welcome... I'm going to make my decision today I guess. The 4th through the tenth should be good without a decoy I hope. At the very least, I definately plan on rattling and grunting for sure.

6. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    I'd say you've got some good dates picked out, hopefully the weather cooperates. :cheers:

7. eric777

eric777 New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    yeah the weather can be a killer. We have never managed to the rut just right when we have hunted the midwest so maybe this will be good. The moon is going to be good and the crops will be down so at least those factors are okay.

8. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    If you're going the 4-10, nothing says you either have to use it the entire time. Maybe try it at first and plan the rest of your hunt based on the results you see.

9. eric777

eric777 New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Yeah, your're right. I just haven't decided yet. I hate to spend $140 (+ or -) on one too. They have those paper thin decoys that are like $40 but I don;t know about those.

10. Whitmore44

Whitmore44 Active Member

Nov 15, 2006
    O'fallon, mo
    heard a saying about dekes the other day..... 1 out of 10 deer will spook, 1 out of 10 will commit and 8 won't care.

11. eric777

eric777 New Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Good point. I guess for some reason I feel like my success will be better if I have one. Which is kinda stupid because I haven't felt that way before.

12. goosekilla

goosekilla Senior Member

Dec 9, 2008
    west of STL
    I have used them a lot and I love using them. If a buck sees it this time of the year, chances are it will come in and check it out!

13. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    I think a lot depends on the decoy too. You put out a 130" decoy and you won't be getting the 120s coming at it as much. But the 1 in 10 might be that 150" that wants to bust out the intruder.

14. gentleben

gentleben Active Member

Sep 9, 2010
    STL
    [rquote=1863599&tid=129717&author=eric777]Yeah, your're right. I just haven't decided yet. I hate to spend $140 (+ or -) on one too. They have those paper thin decoys that are like $40 but I don;t know about those. [/rquote]

Use it for the next 10 years and it's only 14 bucks a year.

If my wife can use the logic of look how much money I saved because I bought all this stuff we don't need on sale, I can use that logic for purchasing a decoy. lol, especially if it's on sale, then you could make a case for the buck AND the doe decoys. ;-)

15. dompeters84

dompeters84 New Member

Jun 10, 2008
    From my experiance they work best in areas where the doe to buck ratio is about 50/50. I have had deer spook from them even in well managed spots. There are a lot of facters that go into deciding. I would say hunt the first few days with out and go off that. If you have a bunch of deer around you as it is I say no need to risk it. if you feel the need to get more agressive bring out the decoy and rattle the horns!!

16. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter New Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Small Buck, MO
    I have great hunts with a decoy. I would say go for it.

17. MO Deer Slayer

MO Deer Slayer New Member

Nov 14, 2007
    bean field near you
    I am taken mine to Iowa to film my buddy hunting over it I would pack one along just in case

18. SUFI57

SUFI57 Member

Oct 25, 2010
    i have used a buck decoy one time. it was your typical 8 pointer(maybe 110) and i called in a nice 8 pointer from over 200 hundred yards. with my primos buck roar. and i ended up killing it. it was my first deer with a bow that evening. so i would say use one. its pretty cool too. he came in all puffed up and ears back.

19. blong

blong Senior Member

Nov 26, 2008
    I see them spook off a decoy more than come in on the television shows.