Decoy ratio?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting General' started by Porkchopsandwiches, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Porkchopsandwiches

Porkchopsandwiches New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    St. Charles
    What's a good ratio of decoys to use? 1 hen and 1 jake, or 1 hen 2 jakes, 2 hens and 2 jakes, 2 hens and 1 jake, blah , blah, blah?

2. Keith

Keith New Member

Dec 13, 2002
    Springfield, MO.
    I am no pro by any means. I use at least three hens and one jake.

3. I wouldnt ever use more than one jake. Alot of times dominant birds wont come in with even one jake because they dont wanna fight. Those jake decoys are mainly good when the breeding is really hot. I usually only use hens but i have used a hen down in breeding position and a jake in mounting position to make birds jealous to get them to pitch across the river. Just my opinion but if you are using one call use one hen. I usually use 2 hen decoys but i use a mouth call and slate call in combination. This is just my rule of thumb but if a bird seems really receptive just use hen decoys. But if he seams like his willing to wait on the hen to come to him throw out your jake decoy and throw in some inmature gobbles. That is just for private land though. NEVER use a gobble call on public land. But back to the decoys your best bet is to use no more than one jake decoy if you are gonna use one. Because several jakes will intimidate alot of gobblers. Always remember your best chance with a hot gobbler is the sexual attraction of a hot hen. And with a jake theres always that chance of a bird not wanting to compete for a hen especially if you are in an area with lots of birds.

hope this helps

chad

4. Porkchopsandwiches

Porkchopsandwiches New Member

Sep 20, 2005
    St. Charles
    Thanks for the low-down lads!!! When I get my bird, I'll post some pics!!!

5. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

I agree with Rocko....I don't use a jake that often anymore, but when I do, I only carry one.

6. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    perfect setup right there :rotfl:

but in all seriousness, i only use hens.. 2 of em to be exact

7. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    I use a Jake less and less each year. Last year I had a Jake:banghead: chase off a Tom so I'm thinking of not ever using one again. I like two feeding hens and one alert hen.

Jack

8. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    don't think there is a perfect set up. i have seen toms run in past every hen decoy and start thumping a jake decoy and i have seen toms hang up with a jake decoy. i have even seen a tom on a dead run towards our set up and stop in his tracks and walk off with a jake out. i have seen toms hang up with hens and nothing more than that. i have seen toms hang up with no decoys. i have also seen toms commit in every set up named and march straight in to their death. just depends on what the birds are wanting in the area. hows that for an answer.:D

9. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    Rocko hit it right on the head.
    I usually use 3 hens & 1 jake, unless I know I will be working an old bird. If you think you will be working an old bird leave the jake at home b/c most of the time they won't come into it b/c they don't want the fight. In my experience jake decoys work best on 2-3 yr old birds. They will come charging it & you will get to see quite a show as they put a beating on your decoy.

10. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Wingman, man I'm confused.:bangin:

Jack

11. He has that affect on people Jack ;)

12. Hatch

Hatch New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    OFallon MO
    I will most likely not use a decoy this season if I hunt the woods because of the under brush this year but if I hunt an open area it will be 2 hens and a jake;)

13. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    don't feel bad Jack, i am always confused. just trying to state there is no decent ratio of decoys to use for any situation. what works one day might not work the next when it comes to how to set up decoys or how many decoys to use. i know if i get to go monday i won't be using any after the seeing the youth season decoy ratio.

14. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Well I forgot to mention I don't use decoys back in the timber. And yer right Wingman ya never know what these crazy birds are gonna want.

Jack

15. Those were decoy's we were using Mike???? I was begining to wonder if they weren't Turkey repelent ;), especially after watching that big OL' tom on sunday of the yout season:bangin:.

16. winger

winger New Member

Oct 24, 2003
    After the last few hunts with them I am beginning to wonder as well. They have their last chance in the morning or my new hen decoy might be getting a couple more new mates to run with, the old ones must have lost their mojo.:rotfl:

17. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    i don't normally use them any more to be honest when i do its normally just a hen i usually carry them but don't use them much
    when i do it is usually when i catch a tom out in the feild and can't get any closer i will pop my hen up and belly craw out in the feild 10 yards or so to make it look like a hen showed up belly craw back to the edge and call.
    this works pretty good if the grass is 10 inches or so.

18. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

I have too

gonna try my 2 hen decoys tho I

19. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    My first bird ever shoot last season was harvested in thick woods with a hen decoy. He had 1 1/4 inch spers so im guessing eh qualify as a mature tom. The second week of spring season I shoot a jake on a spread of hen decoys on edge of field.

20. JackJr

JackJr New Member

Nov 30, 2002
    Land Of BLAHS
    Tony I've done this a number of times and it does work good. Trouble is anymore I have a hard time getting back up after I crawl out there.:horse:

Jack