decoy or not

Discussion in '2011 Whitetail General' started by riverbottomhunter, Nov 1, 2010.

1. riverbottomhunter

riverbottomhunter Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    First off, I do not have a decoy, but was wondering if anyone had tried using a deer archery target as a decoy?

I really wanted to hunt a certain farm today(saw 2 big mature bucks here sunday late morning), but didn't get off work in time and really needed to get some things done around the house. At 6 I snuck out to glass a corn field I was wanting to hunt over. Had 6 does and 1 mature buck come out. The buck really didn't pay much attention to the does and it looked like he was by himself. I have a stand set up along this corn field, but the problem with hunting river bottoms is the deer don't always stick to their trails and can pop out of the timber anywhere. My stand is about 100 yards from where he exited the timber and when he came out he walked the other way. Was wondering if a buck decoy would catch his attention and maybe bring him in for a shot tomorrow night if he pops out. Also thought about going without the decoy and just tring to rattle him in or grunting and can calling.

2. Ghost Hunter

Ghost Hunter Active Member

Jan 3, 2003
    RBH I have no experience with decoys. I just wanted to be a part of this thread.

:D

3. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    [rquote=1874617&tid=130579&author=Ghost Hunter]RBH I have no experience with decoys. I just wanted to be a part of this thread.

:D[/rquote]

:2thumbsup:

4. wabow

wabow New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    DO IT......... Nothing more fun the watching them come into that decoy with the ears laid back and mad.. Grunt and Rattle him in, his attention is on the decoy while you draw. Look at all the other decoys and targets on the market and tell me how many real differences you can see from 20 yards. DO IT, DO IT, DO IT...

5. dodge

dodge Active Member

Oct 8, 2010
    cedar hill, mo
    id try it, little bucks up north were chasin over the weekend so the big boys will be in a few days

6. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    I saw some big boys chasing towards the end of last week. Actually some of them were almost like they were tending the does, not chasing them

7. wabow

wabow New Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Thanks for reminding me, I just ordered another deer target.. Serious.. :cheers::claphands: My wife loves my hunting, dual purpose they can't argue with it. All she said was don't you have one of those I say yup I NEED 2 more. She says why I said I want 2 doe decoys and one small buck decoy, plus they make good targets. :rof2:

8. kc704

kc704 Senior Member

Dec 9, 2004
    Missouri
    I used to use a 3D target as my decoy. Had to quit because he got tore up so bad his antlers wouldn't stay on. Shot a few deer over him too.

9. riverbottomhunter

Sep 27, 2005
    Chariton Co.
    sounds like i may give my target a try as a decoy tomorrow night. will be my first time ever using a decoy. sounds like place it facing towards me right?

10. wabow

wabow New Member

Oct 27, 2010
  11. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO
    I've seen deer walk upto full body goose decoys before :D

12. mac1

mac1 New Member

Oct 30, 2010
    St. Louis
    Those videos are great. I am thinking of trying a decoy this year.

Mac1