Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to ask, would you recommend I seal the deck, even though it's made of treated lumber? Would you recommend a clear Thompsons, or colored stain sealant? It would be best if I only had to do it every 2 - 5 years preferred. If that's possible? I'd prefer to spray the stain or Thompsons on, and not have to hand paint if required! Easy maintenance preferred.

Attachments

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Parker - I hear ya....but several people suggested I seal the deck even though it's treated. So, I'm at a loss of what to do. I don't want to have to strip it later and re-stain or something like. I want something simple, even if its spraying with Thompsons once a year. I figured I'd ask the experienced on the site?

·
VECtor Custom Calls
41,486 Posts
Originally posted by SmokinBarrel
Parker - I hear ya....but several people suggested I seal the deck even though it's treated. So, I'm at a loss of what to do. I don't want to have to strip it later and re-stain or something like. I want something simple, even if its spraying with Thompsons once a year. I figured I'd ask the experienced on the site?
:cheers:

Parker

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I am no expert but have had experience with sealed and unsealed decks. On our last deck, we didn't seal it and the boards that were exposed cupped, warped, and turned really light. I sealed the deck we have now about 2 years ago and it still looks good with no warped or cupped boards. It probably has another 2 years left on it.

Everyone I talked to told me to get a stain that has some color to it, so it would last longer. They all told me you would have to stain more often with clear. I used Sherwin Williams stuff and was told by several people that stained decks for a living to not get Thompson's. I brushed and rolled mine on and save a lot of money by doing it myself. If you used a roller, you would be done in no time with that deck.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
If you have a sprayer that makes it super easy. prolly spray that whole deck in a couple of hours (only one hour if you put the beer down:D)

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Find a good color that is not too dark. Just put a tint on the wood. Treated wood does not hold color very well wneh it is new. All of the fibers are stuffed with treated spray and it makes it so the stain has nowhere to go. Let it dry out over the summer and then spray it this fall. Spray it every other year and you will have a deck that will last longer than you.

It sho is great when you have some good wood that lasts for a real long time!:D

·
Navy/Air Force/Army
17,369 Posts
You shouldn't have to spray every other year if you use a good sealer. My block plant has an awesome clear sealant I use on my brick, it has lasted 10 years. It's about $25 a gallon, but to me, well worth it. I've also heard to stay away from Thompsons. Scruggs Lumber here in JC recommends Behr sealer.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
If you spray it on, I would recommend every other year. If you brush it on, it will last longer. It also depends on sun time, moisture and amount of use, and quality of wood.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
with the new treated lumber you have to watch out for the OOOZE,after treatting it a sap comes out and is like a tar,might want to check the website out on the treated lumber co,they may have some tips of their own,I am speaking from experience on the ooze,have to rteplace my steps due to kids sit iin it and ruins there clothes

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I like the idea of beer and stain! :D

Actually, the deck took me 3 days to build....typo. I meant to say, its taken me 3 years to finally get to the point of installing it.

Roscoe- Where the *()#*_)# have you been? :cheers:

I was thinking no railings, that way, while sitting inside, you can open both doors and look at the woods. I'll admit, it worked out pretty cool.

I'm ready for some bowhunting!! Only two months away! Unbelievable!

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Yes DSG, you are so wise, I have found that when I spray on my protection, it fails. If you feel like taking the time to rub it in real good, your deck will last longer.

It also depends on if you use your deck alot. For guys like me that use it every day, I cant find the time to rub it in.....I just give it a good spray and then get back to enjoying my deck.

Someone like you who has the time and really does not get to use it that often should go the other route.

I guess this explains why you have been watering you garder so much lately.:eek:

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Arrow-1

I don't take such good care of my deck for my own enjoyment.

I can tell that you really enjoy the time you spend on your deck working on your deck by hand.

However, I passed that stage long ago. Now, my enjoyment comes from sharing my deck with only my closest of friends.

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
DSG, being that I have four kids and I am not 30 yet, I am pretty sure that my spray on method has not been real effective.

I should look into getting a umbrella that covers the entire deck so that I dont have to worry about any of this anymore.

The problem is that my deck is so huge that I cant find any umbrellas that would cover the whole thing.:wave:

·
SuperSenior Member
984 Posts
Bowpredator, How do you think he keeps his youthful figure......lots and lots of rubbing.:hysterical:

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.