Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Baller, shot caller
11,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my new to me Tikka T3 Lite SS/Syn in 6.5x55mm SE is making it's way from Utah to MO and I'm in a quandry. I can't decide what scope to throw on top. I've narrowed the field down a little but I can't pick "The One". Here's my picks so far, all of these would be 3-9x40mm scopes:

Leupold VX-II
Bushnell Elite
Redfield Revolution
Vortex Viper
Nikon Buckmaster
Zeiss Conquest

You might say "ZEISS?!?!?", yes, pricey but I can get a demo model for $369. Leupy is $329, Vortex and Bushy are $299, Nikon around $200 and the Redfield around $150.

What say you, fellow MWT gun-nuts?

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
Well, if you really want to drop some change, get the Elite 6500 Series Bushnell. :D

I'd get the Leupold VXII w/ the LR Duplex. Got that on the 7mm Mag and pretty happy with it.

·
Baller, shot caller
11,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[rquote=1600824&tid=111007&author=Heeler75]Well, if you really want to drop some change, get the Elite 6500 Series Bushnell. :D

I'd get the Leupold VXII w/ the LR Duplex. Got that on the 7mm Mag and pretty happy with it.[/rquote]

That's a little steep, even for my deep pockets, Bradley-Bear.

I was thinking about the Leupy VXII with the LR Duplex but I don't think it will work very well with the 6.5x55mm, it doesn't shoot fast enough to work with the scope.

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
[rquote=1600834&tid=111007&author=cummins5.9][rquote=1600824&tid=111007&author=Heeler75]Well, if you really want to drop some change, get the Elite 6500 Series Bushnell. :D

I'd get the Leupold VXII w/ the LR Duplex. Got that on the 7mm Mag and pretty happy with it.[/rquote]

I was thinking about the Leupy VXII with the LR Duplex but I don't think it will work very well with the 6.5x55mm, it doesn't shoot fast enough to work with the scope.[/rquote]

You'd be surprised. I think it would work just fine. You would have to just do some experimenting to see what you are actually shooting with the dots.

·
Baller, shot caller
11,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[rquote=1600838&tid=111007&author=Heeler75][rquote=1600834&tid=111007&author=cummins5.9][rquote=1600824&tid=111007&author=Heeler75]Well, if you really want to drop some change, get the Elite 6500 Series Bushnell. :D

I was thinking about the Leupy VXII with the LR Duplex but I don't think it will work very well with the 6.5x55mm, it doesn't shoot fast enough to work with the scope.[/rquote]

You'd be surprised. I think it would work just fine. You would have to just do some experimenting to see what you are actually shooting with the dots. [/rquote]

I dunno, I'm not 100% how well it would work. Let me ask you, do you sight that scope in for a certain range with one group of calibers and another range for another set of calibers?

IE 270, 30-06 type sight it in 200 and the dots are right on for 300, 400, 500

AND

7mm mag, 300 wm, etc type sight it at 300 and the dots are on at 400, 500, 600?

·
Confirmed Bachelor
10,482 Posts
They are set up for a "range" of calibers.

One thing though with the LR; it has to be on the highest power setting (9x) to work correctly. Basically it's set for all at 200 yard zero and then dots for 300, 400, etc. If you start looking at ballistics charts, bullet drop between the -06 based and Mag rounds isn't that much different.

I've tested my 7mm Mag out to 300 with 175gr bullets and it's performed like it's supposed to.

Oh, and I got my new Chrony in the mail yesterday. We can try the factory loads too on that 6.5x55.

·
Mountain lion hunter
28,448 Posts
IMO
Zeiss is a big name for quality but the conquest 3x9 is the "low" end
had one a few years back on a trade and the turret caps were plastic and the adjustments seemed "loose"?? Kinda cheesy for the $$ but things change over the years and that quality may have changed in a few years

good luck with the purchase

·
Baller, shot caller
11,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
[rquote=1600849&tid=111007&author=Heeler75]They are set up for a "range" of calibers.

One thing though with the LR; it has to be on the highest power setting (9x) to work correctly. Basically it's set for all at 200 yard zero and then dots for 300, 400, etc. If you start looking at ballistics charts, bullet drop between the -06 based and Mag rounds isn't that much different.

I've tested my 7mm Mag out to 300 with 175gr bullets and it's performed like it's supposed to.

Oh, and I got my new Chrony in the mail yesterday. We can try the factory loads too on that 6.5x55.[/rquote]

I guess I'll have to research some ballistics charts today. Darn the luck.

:bowing:

When we gonna do some shootin, Bradley-Bear?

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
73,036 Posts
You don't need no crutch like a bullet compensating reticle....:shrug:

Just get ya a straight plex, and learn how to shoot it....:D

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x50mm Rilfescope
I have one on My rem sendero 25-06
more than happy with it :cheers: takes the same room as a 40mm on standerd rings with a much brighter view in first light and last light jus my :02:
Good Luck what ever You Buy :cheers:

·
Baller, shot caller
11,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
[rquote=1600892&tid=111007&author=callaojoe]You don't need no crutch like a bullet compensating reticle....:shrug:

Just get ya a straight plex, and learn how to shoot it....:D[/rquote]

Yeah but a poor shot like me needs all the help I can get!!

:rof2:

·
Registered
38,393 Posts
[rquote=1600850&tid=111007&author=Refuze2falo]IMO
Zeiss is a big name for quality but the conquest 3x9 is the "low" end
had one a few years back on a trade and the turret caps were plastic and the adjustments seemed "loose"?? Kinda cheesy for the $$ but things change over the years and that quality may have changed in a few years

good luck with the purchase

[/rquote]

Ditto this, which sways my vote to Leupold.:cheers::wave:

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
the 4200 elite would be at their top of quality for the price while the VXII is their mid quality for Leupold. if this rifle is for hunting the raingard feature is noce and does work.
i would also tell you to look at a Sightron S2, or S2 Big Sky i don't beleive they offer a 3-9 in the S3 series Sightron.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.