Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

Decisions, decisions...

893 views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  htredneck 
#1 ·
What a way to end a year!
Have choice of two rifles - matched set - Browning A-Bolt II Varmint, bull barrel, BOSS, one is .22-250 and one is .223. I can't decide whether to get one or both. Both have been safe queens, grand total of 25 rounds fired out of each one. They look just like the picture and are priced to low to turn down. It is late and it hurts to think, so help me decide which way to go...

[file]84980[/file]

#9 ·
If possible get both, but for only one it depends what else you have and what you want to use it for, if you reload etc.
If you have an AR and already reload for it, you're set up to work up good loads for the new rifle, or if you have no .223 and just want a good hunting rifle I think you'd be better off with the 22-250. :wave:

#10 ·
[rquote=1513623&tid=105558&author=MellerAM][rquote=1513589&tid=105558&author=Big John]22-250 no question![/rquote]
x3

The 22-250 outperforms the 223 in all catergories. I really dont know why so many people like the 223. Its great in an AR, but thats about it.[/rquote]

Doooooooooood, if you've ever burned out the barrel of a .22/250 when shooting prairie dogs, you'd know why folks like .223s..... double, or more, the barrel life of a .22/250, especially when shooting rats.

#11 ·
[rquote=1514620&tid=105558&author=glennasher1][rquote=1513623&tid=105558&author=MellerAM][rquote=1513589&tid=105558&author=Big John]22-250 no question![/rquote]
x3

The 22-250 outperforms the 223 in all catergories. I really dont know why so many people like the 223. Its great in an AR, but thats about it.[/rquote]Glen if you start with a good barrel to begin with and control your rate of fire there isn't any problem. I have put well over 6000 rounds through my 110 Savage before it began to show evidence of getting bad not to mention the better range, flatter shooting and more loads aspects of the 22-250. I have owned both calibers and would have put my 22-250 up against any .223.

Doooooooooood, if you've ever burned out the barrel of a .22/250 when shooting prairie dogs, you'd know why folks like .223s..... double, or more, the barrel life of a .22/250, especially when shooting rats.[/rquote]

#12 ·
[rquote=1513705&tid=105558&author=curtism1234]You might as well go for the 22-250 unless you're volume shooting.

The 223 with a muzzlebrake is too loud for practical use. A 22-250 can't be much worse - might as well go with that :shrug:[/rquote]

i would swap out the ported muzzle brake and go with the non ported boss. you still get to tune the barrel to your given load but you don't have the loud blast coming from that rascal.

lets face it niether round is that big of a thumper although i know some guys like to see thier bullet hit their target and the red mist float in the air.

[Edited on 12/19/2009 by JimH]

#13 ·
[rquote=1516631&tid=105558&author=JimH][rquote=1513705&tid=105558&author=curtism1234]You might as well go for the 22-250 unless you're volume shooting.

The 223 with a muzzlebrake is too loud for practical use. A 22-250 can't be much worse - might as well go with that :shrug:[/rquote]

i would swap out the ported muzzle brake and go with the non ported boss. you still get to tune the barrel to your given load but you don't have the loud blast coming from that rascal.

lets face it niether round is that big of a thumper although i know some guys like to see thier bullet hit their target and the red mist float in the air.

[Edited on 12/19/2009 by JimH][/rquote]You know for about half the price of the Browning he could get a savage long action and a barrel from SSS that would easily deal with any recoil and shoot just as straight.

#17 ·
what we talking in price???? im looking for a new varmiteer rifle, was thinking winchester coyote light but 1 of these guns will kill em just as dead

#18 ·
I have decided to lay claim to the 22-250. The .223 is still available, but I won't be able to get either one until the beginning of January. Made in '97 or '98, they not been out of the safe since they were purchased new by a friend's dad. He bought them to go dogging, but never went. He is bringing them here when he comes to visit his son for New Year's.

The .223 can be had for $650.00. When they show up on GunBroker, they are selling for over $1,000.00 plus. I have seen a couple go for a few hundred more. If someone is serious about wanting it, I can commit to both, but I will only have the money for one...

#19 ·
[rquote=1516614&tid=105558&author=Big John][rquote=1514620&tid=105558&author=glennasher1][rquote=1513623&tid=105558&author=MellerAM][rquote=1513589&tid=105558&author=Big John]22-250 no question![/rquote]
x3

The 22-250 outperforms the 223 in all catergories. I really dont know why so many people like the 223. Its great in an AR, but thats about it.[/rquote]Glen if you start with a good barrel to begin with and control your rate of fire there isn't any problem. I have put well over 6000 rounds through my 110 Savage before it began to show evidence of getting bad not to mention the better range, flatter shooting and more loads aspects of the 22-250. I have owned both calibers and would have put my 22-250 up against any .223.

Doooooooooood, if you've ever burned out the barrel of a .22/250 when shooting prairie dogs, you'd know why folks like .223s..... double, or more, the barrel life of a .22/250, especially when shooting rats.[/rquote][/rquote]

Self control when shooting prairie dogs, no such thing, John.:D You see them out there, AND YOU JUST GOTTA SHOOT 'EM, and there's no waiting around for a barrel to cool off, either:cool3:. That doesn't happen (and it's why I carry several rifles out there, I swap them out, so the barrels have a CHANCE at cooling off). Prairie doggin' on a good patch is something to conjure to.

On my first PD shoot, I ruined a Winchester Heavy Varmint barrel, I didn't overwork it, either, it just crapped out on me. At the same time, I used a Savage HB rifle that never quit, and I used the Savage a heckuva lot more than the Winchester that day, probably shot 4X the ammo thru the Savage that I did the Winchester. I've never figured that out, why a barrel would die so quick, but afterwards, I've switched to the .223s and never looked back (sideways, with the .204s, but never back:D).

Moot point anyhow, the OP has already made his choice. It's probably different than mine, but it's his money.

#21 ·
[rquote=1516718&tid=105558&author=htredneck]I have decided to lay claim to the 22-250. The .223 is still available, but I won't be able to get either one until the beginning of January. Made in '97 or '98, they not been out of the safe since they were purchased new by a friend's dad. He bought them to go dogging, but never went. He is bringing them here when he comes to visit his son for New Year's.

The .223 can be had for $650.00. When they show up on GunBroker, they are selling for over $1,000.00 plus. I have seen a couple go for a few hundred more. If someone is serious about wanting it, I can commit to both, but I will only have the money for one...[/rquote]

Good call on the 22-250 although either would be nice. A grand for an A bolt II? I've seen em but still think they are overpriced at that amount. Nice guns but even for $650 you can get some serious accuracy these days.

Enjoy that rifle man, great Christmas for you!!

#22 ·
Truth be told - I am buying it only because I never owned an A-Bolt!
I will probably see how it shoots, and then have to have something else that it will get traded or sold for. The best, most accurate, 'yote killing rifle I own is a .22 Hornet. I have a pretty-heavily worked Remington 700 that will put 3 bullets into one hole all day long. That A-Bolt has some pretty tough shoes to try and fill.

And I agree, paying a grand or more for an A-Bolt II is insane, but people are doing it on a regular basis. These ones sell for more because they quit making them in '99.

And if someone really wants to part with that much cash, I would hate to deprive them of that pleasure... :D

#23 ·
[rquote=1516765&tid=105558&author=htredneck]Truth be told - I am buying it only because I never owned an A-Bolt!
I will probably see how it shoots, and then have to have something else that it will get traded or sold for. The best, most accurate, 'yote killing rifle I own is a .22 Hornet. I have a pretty-heavily worked Remington 700 that will put 3 bullets into one hole all day long. That A-Bolt has some pretty tough shoes to try and fill.

And I agree, paying a grand or more for an A-Bolt II is insane, but people are doing it on a regular basis. These ones sell for more because they quit making them in '99.

And if someone really wants to part with that much cash, I would hate to deprive them of that pleasure... :D[/rquote]

Makes sense, either way doesn't sound like you can get hurt on it at all.

I want to get some other type of small centerfire and I have been studying some ballistics charts this morning (that would probably sound strange to most people but I know on here people have the same issues as me).

Two that I haven't looked at yet is the 218 bee and the 22 hornet. I love my .17 fireball and of course I have a couple .204's that are hard to beat but I am always on the lookout for something different. I was really surprised at the .17 fireball trajectories and velocity, heck of a round. The .17 Remington is equally impressive......

oops, sorry - just noticed that I am rambling and I forgot where I was going with this..... Oh yes, how do you like the .22 hornet?

Sorry:smiley:

#24 ·
The Hornet is about the best thing since sliced bread im my opinion!
I love it. Very little noise, absolutely no recoil, and will drop everything from prairie dogs to deer (don't go there fellas!). Small, fast and if you handload - unbelievably accurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.