Decided on rifle/handgun...finally

Discussion in 'Guns & Ammo' started by sharps4590, Nov 12, 2010.

1. sharps4590

sharps4590 Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    If I had two rifles suitable for deer it would still take me up to the day before to decide which to use. I had to get Momma's stuff ready for tomorrow morning so I made up my mind.

[file]147833[/file]

Shiloh Sharps Montana Rough Rider in 45-2.4, 3rd generation Colt SAA, 5 1/2 in. in 45 Colt, Jimmy May damascus knife and Rick Bachmann leather.

The fact that I can't see the Rocky Mountain sights on the Ballard good enough for shooting at game might have had something to do with the decision. Aperature sights I still do well with!!

2. Hayzer

Hayzer New Member

That looks like a sweey set there.

3. Judah

Judah Crossbow supporter

Oct 19, 2007
    Warren County
  4. cummins5.9

cummins5.9 Baller, shot caller

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes
    45-2.4? Never heard tell of it. Fill us all in on the pertenent info, please!

5. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

2.4 drams is my guess!!!

Spread out that leather riggin, that's purty!!!!!:cheers::wave:

6. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    Never heard of numeric designation for cartridges? You've heard of it, just not by its proper name. Sharps did it the entire time they were in business, as well as most other manufacturers. Back "in the day" when most cartridge cases were straight walled it was normal and the accepted way to call them by the caliber and the case length in inches and either tenths or fractions. 45-2.1 is what we call the 45-70 although it's original name was 45 Government. 45-2.4 is what we call the 45-90, 45-2.6 is 45-100 and Quigley used a 45-2 7/8 which has become the 45-110., a case manufactured by Sharps for only one year. My #1 Sporter is in 40-2.5 or 40-70. One reason for this is that many of these cartridges were loaded with different powder charges. The 45-2.6 or -100 was loaded as light as 75 or 80 grains of black or as much as 110 so at that time the powder charge at the end of the caliber was almost irrelevant. One needed to know the case length then could choose the powder charge. Nearly all cartridges of much volume were the same.

My 45-2.4 is loaded with 80 grs. of GOEX Cartridge compressed 1/10 in., Bertram cases, Federal 215 primers, a .010 card wad between the powder and a 480 grain cast bullet from an NEI custom bullet mold lubed with SPG lube.

Here ya are
    [file]147837[/file]

7. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Good luck, and enjoy spending some time with those quality shootin irons....:D

8. fishshooter

fishshooter Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Reform
  9. stlwolf

stlwolf New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Warren County
  10. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    Well if you dont get a deer you will at least be the best dreesed hunter out there. Best dressed in iron inplements that is.

That rifle is trully a nice one. It even surpasses the M1 Gerand in nastalgia in my opinion.

Good luck tomarrow.

11. htredneck

htredneck Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    I swear I need to go shopping in your safe...

12. sharps4590

Jan 7, 2010
    Northern Ozarks
    htred, bring money...the kind I can bite..hehe.

13. Longbow26

Longbow26 New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Farmington, MO
    I have always wanted to get one but wife says that with out knowing if i can shot one onehanded she not see the point in spending 1700.00 on a rifle rt now for it to be a corner king.

14. FiremanBrad

FiremanBrad New Member

Nice leather work there!!! Love that cross draw knife too!!!:cheers::wave:

I'm with redneck, if not shopping in your safe, an afternoon of fondling!!!!!:claphands::wave:

15. htredneck

htredneck Active Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Cass County, MO
    I'd go for fondling.
    Heck, I even promise to wipe up my drool...