Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scent cover works about like COvid mask!
yep scent cover is like putting a skunk 20 yards up wind of you, lets the deer know something is amiss

scent eliminator is a whole different thing.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,324 Posts
yep scent cover is like putting a skunk 20 yards up wind of you, lets the deer know something is amiss

scent eliminator is a whole different thing.

Not according to the dogs nose. Deers noses are far more complex than a dogs nose & scent eliminators didn't make a difference in testing.

·
14,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not according to the dogs nose. Deers noses are far more complex than a dogs nose & scent eliminators didn't make a difference in testing.
You are putting a cover scent in the same category as a scent eliminator?
One has a scent to cover your scent, the other has chemicals to eliminate your scent
the cover scent even I can smell.

and I take it you did not watch the video

·
Registered
19,527 Posts
Pretty cool technology.... Especially the small canister to de-scent your vehicle... I like/use the Ozone-Closet-Duffel Bag.... but you have to be careful with certain clothes manufacturers that use plant based components in their manufacturing...

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,324 Posts
You are putting a cover scent in the same category as a scent eliminator?
One has a scent to cover your scent, the other has chemicals to eliminate your scent
the cover scent even I can smell.

and I take it you did not watch the video

Actually, I'm not. Ozone machine actually gave the dogs a little pause, but it didn't actually fool the dogs nose. Just took about 45 seconds more to figure it out. The guy I know who was part of this test, said they tried cover scents, scent eliminators, ect. None of them actually fooled the dogs nose. These were not run of the mill dogs, these were dogs trained for their noses.

You're right, I didn't watch the video, I have as much faith that I'm getting truth from a sales video as I do from the main stream media.

·
#pointsmatter
2,782 Posts
I hunt the wind and still wash and still try to be as scent free as possible. I think it helps you get away with a little swirl of wind and makes the deer think you are farther away that you are or maybe was there a day ago when you are actually hunting. I also do not like seeing a deer jump out of its skin when it hits your trail and I think that stuff helps a ton with that. Pretty interesting stuff. I'm trying to give all my deer COVID so they loose their sense of smell, and taste so they start eating fescue.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Save your money, hunt the wind.
I watched a few videos on it and it is an interesting product, I don’t think I would use it on myself but would try it in my truck.
I agree hunting the wind is definitely the best way to hunt but you still have to walk to wherever your hunting. I really like nosejammer and use it religiously before heading out. I’ve had multiple opportunities to watch deer, elk, and mountain lion either walk down a trail I had recently been on or cross it without any indication they had caught my scent.
I hiked into a tree stand last October I have set up in a canyon that has a good bear population hoping to call in a bear, when about five minutes after I started calling I had a lion walk in on the same trail I had taken a few minutes before, he was literally about 20 feet from me without giving any indication he knew I was there.
Take it for what it’s worth but from my experience it definitely has some value.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
If mountain lions are anything like bobcats they don't actually pay much attention to scent. Bobcats are sight hunters and seem to not get disturbed by human scent. I am a predator caller and call 5-6 bobcats per year and have had quite a few bobcats directly downwind and show no sign of being alarmed. A coyote in that position would smell me from 1/4 miles away and be long gone. Bobcats are extremely stealthy and wary in their own way, but smart like a coyote they are not. Again, I don't know but if the bigger cat is like its little cousin it might not be a good sniffer and not a good test for the product. If there is anything out there that beats a coyotes nose, then that would be bragging rights.

·
Registered
66 Posts
With lions I’ve noticed that also, the few lions I’ve been able to see up close that also knew I was there didn’t really seem to pay much attention to us.
I don’t really care about fooling a coyotes nose but I do try to use every advantage I can when hunting deer or elk, I’ve seen proof several times that nose jammer at the very least camouflage’s my scent to some degree.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,324 Posts
With lions I’ve noticed that also, the few lions I’ve been able to see up close that also knew I was there didn’t really seem to pay much attention to us.
I don’t really care about fooling a coyotes nose but I do try to use every advantage I can when hunting deer or elk, I’ve seen proof several times that nose jammer at the very least camouflage’s my scent to some degree.

Coyotes would be a great test to see if your nose jammer actually works as the advertisers claim. If you have a coyote down wind in the wide open, you'll know if you were busted by their reaction. If they pass by without acknowledging you, then you know it works. Most deer that bust you, you never know they were even there. They pick you up out of sight & slink away without giving you a clue they were even there. I've had plenty of deer downwind that never acted like I was even there. But I don't think I've ever had a coyote downwind that didn't react. Keep in mind, as great as a dogs nose is, it's nothing compared to a deers nose.

As I said earlier, I have very little trust in advertising or the hunters who pimp their products. They're paid salesmen pushing a product at all costs. Including bending the truth, or exclusion of facts.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Couldn’t agree more Pinwheel, no way to know what happens unless your in a location where you can see your back trail.
I don’t think I’ve ever watched an ad for nosejammer, it was a recommendation from a hunting buddy. First time I used it was in Missouri during the early archery hunt, I had a nice whitetail buck walk down the same trail I took to my tree stand without any indication it smelled me. I thought huh, this stuff might actually work. I’ve had good experiences with it here in Az also. Not trying to get anyone to go out and buy it, just sharing my experience with it.
But, it’s the only product for scent control that I use, I don’t have confidence in any of the other products I’ve tried. But I agree, paying attention to the wind is always the best policy.

·
Jenny's Lackey
47,324 Posts
Couldn’t agree more Pinwheel, no way to know what happens unless your in a location where you can see your back trail.
I don’t think I’ve ever watched an ad for nosejammer, it was a recommendation from a hunting buddy. First time I used it was in Missouri during the early archery hunt, I had a nice whitetail buck walk down the same trail I took to my tree stand without any indication it smelled me. I thought huh, this stuff might actually work. I’ve had good experiences with it here in Az also. Not trying to get anyone to go out and buy it, just sharing my experience with it.
But, it’s the only product for scent control that I use, I don’t have confidence in any of the other products I’ve tried. But I agree, paying attention to the wind is always the best policy.

I think we're of the same mind mostly on the topic.

I've got a stand on my farm that's on a bluff with a deep drainage that comes into the creek bottom. I only hunt it in the mornings. It's on the edge of where most deer come into my place to bed. If I didn't know what I know about this spot, I'd swear by whatever product I bought, because I would think I was successful. But what I've learned over the years, it's one of those spots, no matter wind direction, I rarely get busted. Since I hunt it in the mornings only, & the way the terrain is, the thermals lift my scent instead of causing it to drop down to the deers nose. I've had a couple stompers down wind from that stand that I couldn't get on, but never got busted.

·
Registered
24,265 Posts
Most of these guys don’t believe first hand accounts and experiences, so no need to try and help up their odds.

·
Registered
7,929 Posts
I hunt all my stands on the wrong wind just to give the deer a fair chance. No need for any products to help me either.

·
Registered
24,265 Posts
Definitely going to look into the nose jammer, more than reliable hood hunter has shared good first hand accounts of it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts