December bass fishing on LOZ?

Discussion in 'Bass' started by Gutpile, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Gutpile

Gutpile Cooler Semi-Elitist

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    The first weekend of December I am headed to LOZ for a weekend of fishing. I am familiar with spring and summer bass fishing at LOZ, but I NEVER fish the winter, ever.

I am always in deer hunting mode in the fall/winter but I have read a little, but everything seems to focus on either Oct-Nov when the water temps are still pretty mild or the deep of winter around Jan and Feb. I see very little about the early December time frame

Will it be time for jerkbaits or will I be needing to slow roll spinnerbaits and work jigs? I know fall/winter can be really good for bass and crappie.

I will be the most avid fisherman by a longshot that is on this trip. We would be perfectly happy with bass, whites, crappie, etc.

Just trying to get a little intel on what to be working and where (points, creek channels, docks, etc). We will be at MM10.

Any intel is greatly appreciated.

2. Meller

Meller Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2008
    You're in the right area for crappie. Maybe head towards the dam a few miles. I've heard the bluffs have been good in the early mornings, then shooting docks on the main channel.

3. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    Crappie are easy if you have side imaging. Graph main lake channel swing docks as well as the first few docks just inside of the mouths of coves on those channel sides until your graph lights up. Shoot a 1/32oz jig up under the dock, let it fall and wait for the line to jump. If you don't have side imaging, then just start fishing every dock with a large swim deck that sits over deep water and hope you get lucky and find the right ones.

For whites, toss a rooster tail or something flashy on windy points and maybe you can find them. I've never really targeted them up there, but the few I have caught were always on those types of areas.

As for bass, I would just throw a jerkbait, Arig or or Wiggle Wart/Rock Crawler on bluff or rock banks. Also try the jerkbait around dock ends and wave breaks. Kentuckies like to hang out in those areas a lot.

bigbass, WBF and Gutpile like this.
  4. BackyardBandit

BackyardBandit Don't mind me

Jan 12, 2012
    West St. Louis Co.
    Good info above. The crappie and whites are biting good, I'd imagine the bass are too. They just aren't getting the pressure from the fair weather fishermen.

WBF likes this.
  5. Gutpile

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles

OK, I gotta ask. I have seen the term a million times, but what is a "swing dock"?

6. badlander

badlander Active Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Thinkin it's the channel that swings; not the dock.

7. seth_turner_04

seth_turner_04 Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Owensville, MO
    That is what I take it as. Anytime the channel swings in close to the bank, I call it a channel swing bank.

badlander likes this.
  8. bigbass

bigbass Keep calm and Chive on!

Nov 17, 2009
    Wentzville
    Some good info here, going to have to give LOZ a try..

9. bigbass

Nov 17, 2009
    Wentzville
    Well how did your trip go?

10. Gutpile

Aug 22, 2003
    St. Charles
    IT was pretty slow. Bright bluebird days.

Saturday morning we started a little later than desirable. I caught a bass off the dock right away on a Ned Rig. Started out fishing between and towards the front of docks on small pockets off the main channel, caught a short pretty quickly.

Another guy in the boat caught one on a topwater plug. Shortly thereafter I boated two more bass on the Ned. We had three guys in the boat, others were throwing spinnerbaits and lipless cranks.

Things slowed considerably. Later in the day I caught one on a Smithwick Rogue. Had one hooked up but was over a float, and lost the fish. Think I had 7 or 8 on Saturday. Feel that maybe some of the better fishing was lost while we were eating breakfast and drinking coffee.

Didn't really crappie fish at all. Sunday was super slow. Boated just one, caught another off the dock with a chomper.

11. bigbass

Nov 17, 2009
    Wentzville
    Well at least ya caught some fish..