Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... was at pro bass this afternoon and whilst browsing I came acrossed a pallet w/ duck dekes.. They are Green Head Gear.. Life-Sized Mallard Dekes w/ weighted Keel.. Clearanced for 25 bux a dozen.. So i figured what the hey and bought a dozen.. Seem pretty nice, much bigger then the couple of dozen i bought at cabelas last fall of the "Hot Buys".. the only thing i dont care for them is the weighted keels. Yeah i know when ya throw em out they wont land on they head as much, but get a few dozen of these suckers in yer bag and its gonna be heavyyyyy... And not to mention wont move w/ the wind as easy..

But anyways, I digress... Is 25 bux a dozen good for em.. Had a sign that said "Originally $49.95"

Anyone... anyone? Good, bad? Get more? Dont waste your time? I need a few more dozen (4-5) more mallards to get my spread of mallards, just figured if these were good id get a few more dozen...

:cheers:
 

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Joined
·
47,365 Posts
You'll have to dedicate a trailer for your decoys before you know it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
140 Posts
I'm not sure if it's sand or not. Drill a couple of holes in the keel to find out.

We've got some pintail water keels that weren't worth a crap in any kind of wind at all,,so we added lead weights to the keel,,,,now they never roll.

I've thought about getting some weighted keels, but I would have to build another garage to store any more decoys. :rotfl:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,698 Posts
That's not a bad price at all for weighted keel Reb.

You had better slow down tho on the deke buying or else the 3 ducks we keep shootin' at last season down here won't have anywhere to land ;).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,144 Posts
well 25$ a dozen its bad and it is just sand i always liked the water keel and as far as dozens how many. I know you watch tv and they have several but rember they have ppl to put them out and a lot more things to make movement. if your like i was i had to move them everyday not a lot of fun so keep your spread to around 36 easier to make movement for them using a jump string one spinning wing decoy. i think that is the best way to go, have killed more over smaller spreads than over bigger spreads use more green heads earlier and less as the season goes on. hope this was informing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,417 Posts
Yep, its usually sand. Haven't heard of that brand of dekes. Do they look good? I've heard a lot of folks say that it doesn't matter what decoys look like, its the number that matters. Being in the right place is the main thing but I also like a decoy to look good. If nothing else, it gives me more confidence. I like the way G&H's look and would rather hunt with fewer of those than more of a brand that don't look right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by swmo
That's not a bad price at all for weighted keel Reb.

You had better slow down tho on the deke buying or else the 3 ducks we keep shootin' at last season down here won't have anywhere to land ;).
Goood deal!

And well see, i was hopin that by no where to land, they will just keep circling and circling letting me throw lots of steel out there in HOPES of actually hitting something... :rotfl:

Originally posted by semohuntingguy
well 25$ a dozen its bad and it is just sand i always liked the water keel and as far as dozens how many. I know you watch tv and they have several but rember they have ppl to put them out and a lot more things to make movement. if your like i was i had to move them everyday not a lot of fun so keep your spread to around 36 easier to make movement for them using a jump string one spinning wing decoy. i think that is the best way to go, have killed more over smaller spreads than over bigger spreads use more green heads earlier and less as the season goes on. hope this was informing
Def makes sense my man :cheers:

Originally posted by swmo
Originally posted by Rebelcj7
man im soo ready for waterfowl season already!
Let's get thru dove season first. Speaking of which, you got any good dove spots up that way Reb ;).
True so true! As a matter of fact, was thinkin bout them ole doveys the other mornin. And, i do have a couple spots around here.. good? well.... depends on what is good. ive never hunted anywheres for doves but around here. Last year i def killed my fair share. Tryin to get my unc to let me get some sunflowers planted to make em flock in by the billions..

Originally posted by Gamegetter
Yep, its usually sand. Haven't heard of that brand of dekes. Do they look good? I've heard a lot of folks say that it doesn't matter what decoys look like, its the number that matters. Being in the right place is the main thing but I also like a decoy to look good. If nothing else, it gives me more confidence. I like the way G&H's look and would rather hunt with fewer of those than more of a brand that don't look right.
Yeah they do look good.. for sure... The only bad ive heard about em is the paint not holding up.. guess ill see...

Originally posted by Bronco Brian
Open them keels up and dump the sand in a bucket then you can carry those deeks over one sholder leaving your other hand free to carry the bucket:)
:rotfl:

Wheew.. i think i got all the replies...!! Thanks everyone.. if i missed one.. well.. forgive my retardness.. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So... bought 2 more dozen of em yesterdays.. and it is only sand in the keels.. took out the sand, rigged em up. Nows all i need to get is some decoy bags, there all stacked up in a closet right now.. stacked a mile high. I think im done w/ mallard dekes, need to get a few of sum other species now..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by hardhuntr
I talked to Grover yesterday afternoon,,seems he went to BP in Columbia and found the same deal as you.

Done with mallard dekes?? I didn't know that was even possible?!?! :rotfl::rotfl:
Well.. done buying them for now.. :rotfl: gots to stock up on some other species, a few dozen of them, and then back to mallard shoppin..
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top