Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a good thing that I decided to waste the afternoon away in the White House. It is really too hot to be deer hunting but if you're going to hunt you have to take what nature gives us so as I was kicked back with my feet up reading a magazine I happen to catch movement out of the corner of my eye and a string of gobblers is headed my way. I think to myself holy shat and try to get my bow loaded and ready to shoot these are the first adult turkeys that I have seen all fall I don't know where they have been hid out. I know that I am terribly hurting the population and probably upsetting old horn tagger but when an adult gobbler comes by and I have tags I'm shooting my only regret is I didn't get a chance to shoot two. The Storm reference is the weapon of mass destruction is a Horton Storm.
Bird Tire Automotive tire Wheel Plant

·
Registered
24,265 Posts
Congrats, shooting turkeys doesn’t lower the turkey population one bit! That bird was going to fall over dead or jump in a predators mouth any day now!

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,952 Posts
Legal tag, mattoor goobler, let er fly I say. 👍🏻

Reactions: STTH

·
1,537 Posts
Nice job ! When you have an opportunity to kill a gobbler with a bow in hand you take it !

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Awesome job - Legal Missouri Wild Turkey what does it matter. To each is own. I was just as excited when I saw a single hen the opening day of rifle season first wild turkey in 18 months I gotten to see a turkey. Even filmed her walking down the hill it was awesome to see one again. 2017 was last time any hunter on property had seen a turkey in the fall. Shoot all you want while the getting is good.
Bird Beak Twig Grass Terrestrial animal

Looks like the year is going good.
Fall Turkey Firearms Total in 2021
Quick Harvest Summary
Adult Gobblers: 374
Adult Hens: 548
Juvenille Gobblers: 255
Juvenille Hens: 659
Total: 1836
Fall Turkey Archery Total in 2021
Quick Harvest Summary
Adult Gobblers: 602
Adult Hens: 869
Juvenille Gobblers: 215
Juvenille Hens: 441
Total: 2127

Reactions: STTH

·
Máistir an pointe hocht.
71,952 Posts
It's come to a time, where we as sportsmen and women need to lay off shooting hens during fall turkey seasons..... IMHO

Much the way we laid off suzies back in the 80's when duck numbers were really low. You were always allowed to shoot at least one mallard hen, but I know the people I duck hunted with did everything possible to avoid shooting hens no matter what.

Personally, MDC should make hens off limits during Archery and Shotgun Seasons.... Even if it only saves a few hundred hens.

Reactions: swampchicken
1 - 9 of 9 Posts