Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Under appreciated
93,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Everybody else is sharing their story so here is mine. This guy started up about 5:50, I'd say 100yds behind me in the woods as I was set up under a group of cedars with two dekes pinned in the pasture in front of me. On the limb, he would gobble every 5 minutes or so. I think about 6:15 I heard him pitch down and once he hit the ground, he was gobbling every 30 seconds to a minute, non stop. There is an old logging trail back there and it sounded like he was pacing back and forth…. I assumed he was alone the way he was acting so I figured he would work for me. Sometimes he sounded way to the right of me, sometimes right behind me, sometimes to my left. I just couldnt pull him out in the open. The only real chance I thought I would have without making a commotion was if I happened to catch him over my left shoulder so I was hoping for that scenario. He walked back and forth like this for an hour. I called every so often to remind him that I was here. I usually did this when he sounded like he was walking away and that would pull him back. At about 7am, I just gave him the silent treatment and he slipped up looking for me about 15 minutes later and gave me a chance over my left shoulder so I flattened him. I hunted this normally very good farm a LOT last year and went without, hardly any gobbling at all. Nice to get some payback.
24.5#, 1 3/8" spurs, whispy 2nd beard

Automotive tire Wild turkey Chair Grass People in nature

Reptile Organism Scaled reptile Sleeve Lizard

Hand Gesture Wood Finger Thumb

· Registered
32,997 Posts
Nice!

Reactions: rat

· Banned
81,617 Posts
Well deserved. Congrats on a nice bird. :cheers:

· 2 Corinthians 5:10
1,819 Posts
way to be patient and knock one down. good pic as well

· Máistir an pointe hocht.
75,132 Posts
Short snood, should of passed. :wave1:

Great bird Rat, congrats!! I know how busy you are, so getting it done must of been extra rewarding. :tup:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.