day two update...............................

Discussion in 'Deer Management, Habitat & Conservation' started by brushpile, May 20, 2009.

1. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    well, we finished up the big white oak today along with many other trees that were down., here's a cut off the oak, estimated counting of years was 145 years.
    [​IMG]

from left to right moon landing, 1969, then WWII, 1941, WWI, 1914, then in the center, Civil War, 1861
    [​IMG]

2. Rebel2

Rebel2 Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2003
    Ozark, MO

3. porkchop

porkchop Active Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Barnhart/Perryville
    That's neat stuff there:cheers:

4. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
    I hope you make a coffee table or something out of that. Maybe some bar stools...something. That was an impressive tree. I guess the cycle of life just keeps cycling.

5. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    On day three, we freed up plantings in my bottom ground, and then Mastvet departed about noon. :cheers::cheers::cheers: for Mastvet... He worked his back side off helping me, and we got things done I could not have done by myself. Some of the downed trees were too thick and tangled to cut, and were left for a sanctuary that no man will ever enter.

Mastvet cut, and I hauled, piled and stacked. He's a good man with a saw, and danged near worked me to death. He showed up equipped with 5 saws, jacks, cables, tools... the works, and we got a lot of hard work done. In the process we had a good time, and shared a wealth of information.

I really don't have the words to express my true appreciation. Mastvet traveled four hours just to get here, and busted his tail to help me. My family enjoyed his company, and was sad to see him go. Two words to MWT members in the KC area... GREAT GUY.:claphands:

Many many thanks Mastvet.:cheers:

6. hunter7x

hunter7x New Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Indiana
    very cool to think of that being there thru all of those events.

7. blevely

blevely White Board Man

Jul 15, 2004
    Here and There
    :eek:: sounds like a heck of fella

8. Big L

Big L Trapper Groupie

Aug 8, 2008
    Bonne Terre
    Very interesting,and heck of a guy

9. HabitatMD

HabitatMD Active Member

Jan 4, 2007
    St. Louis, Mo
  10. rat

rat Legbone

Dec 13, 2005
    Really neat!!

11. Gamegetter

Gamegetter Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2004
  12. CLIFFHANGER

CLIFFHANGER Active Member

:cheers:All I can say is WOW:eek::

13. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    Yeah, Mastev is :superman:for sure.

We both thought I had a Red Oak that was older than the White Oak, but it was buried under a bank of trees that up rooted into a tangle of nine big trees, and is now part of the sanctuary. We also cut up a Post Oak that was a few years older than the White Oak. I hated to lose those big trees, but a few other old trees were spared, so I'll still have acorns...................................................................when/if we can go a year without icestorms, late freeze, record rain, high wind, tornados, etc..

Letemgrow, I'll take all the acorns you can spare.;)

14. Mastevt

Mastevt Strutt Buster

Apr 16, 2009
    Grain Valley
    [rquote=1270486&tid=88937&author=brushpile]On day three, we freed up plantings in my bottom ground, and then Mastvet departed about noon. :cheers::cheers::cheers: for Mastvet... He worked his back side off helping me, and we got things done I could not have done by myself. Some of the downed trees were too thick and tangled to cut, and were left for a sanctuary that no man will ever enter.

Mastvet cut, and I hauled, piled and stacked. He's a good man with a saw, and danged near worked me to death. He showed up equipped with 5 saws, jacks, cables, tools... the works, and we got a lot of hard work done. In the process we had a good time, and shared a wealth of information.

I really don't have the words to express my true appreciation. Mastvet traveled four hours just to get here, and busted his tail to help me. My family enjoyed his company, and was sad to see him go. Two words to MWT members in the KC area... GREAT GUY.:claphands:

Many many thanks Mastvet.:cheers: [/rquote]

Brad, you are way to kind with words! You worked your butt off too! Hauling brush is no easy task!!! I enjoyed the work, and the lessons on all the trees and how to identify them, now I just got to remember them,(ya right! LOL)
    Made it home ok and went over to Jessy's to bring back his monster saw, and ended up working on his truck, and then up on his roof cleaning out his gutters, When I finally got home, I was too tired to start supper,so I took the fam. out to Bates City Barbque. Man am I stuffed! Gonna hit the sack earyly tonight for sure! Back to the grind tomorrow!

15. Trykon_Buck

Trykon_Buck Active Member

That's a really cool chronological time line you mapped out there! :eek::

16. brushpile

brushpile New Member

Feb 23, 2008
    Springfield, MO
    A lot of history has passed since that Oak was a seedling. There were years when the growth rings were paper thin, which might have been the dust bowl. For an old tree, it was healthy, and would have seen many more years if it hadn't been blown over.