David Backes is Signed for 5 More Years

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Reflex, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Reflex

Reflex Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sullivan, MO
    Blues forward David Backes was all smiles on Friday - despite a cut on the bridge of his nose - as the Blues announced they had come to terms with their tough-minded center on a five-year extension.

The team did not announce the monetary details, but the contract is believed to be worth $22.5 million, or an average of $4.5 million per year.

Backes, 26, could have been an unrestricted free agent at season's end. But he is happy to have the off-ice business done.

"As much as you like to think you're mentally strong and you can block it out, it does weigh on you," Backes said. "It's human nature. Obviously we had a commitment to stay here and the Blues are making a big commitment to keep me here. I think it's a great day for both sides."

Backes was a second-round draft pick in 2003. He joined the club for the 2006-07 season and had 23 points as a rookie. In 2008-09, he had 31 goals and 53 points as the club made the playoffs. Backes had 17 goals and 48 points last season.

As a restricted free agent, Backes was given an offer sheet by the Vancouver Canucks three years ago. Certainly, there would have been a vibrant market for the 6-foot-3, 218-pound center if he had hit free agency this summer. Backes, who scored a goal in the Blues' 3-2 shootout defeat on Thursday, has two goals and four assists this season, while registering a plus-6.

"There's maybe that thought in your mind to chase the almighty penny all over the place," Backes said. "But there's so many things outside of money that are more important ... to myself and my wife.

"To have the great town and the people of St. Louis, and their support ... I was drafted in St. Louis. Maybe I don't know any better, but I know this group is trending in the right direction. We've got a lot of great young talent, and I want to be part of it."

Blues general manager Doug Armstrong said he had hoped to get Backes locked up before the season. But better a bit later than never.

"As an unrestricted free agent, David had many opportunities," Armstrong said. "But right from the beginning, he said he wanted to be a St. Louis Blue and finish what he started here.

"He's been through some lean times and we're heading into the areas we want to get to. David is a huge part of that, not only on the ice but in the community. He represnts the St. Louis Blues 24/7, 365 days a week the way we want to be represented."

2. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

I bet he is smiling
    At 4.5 million, I'd let him walk :eek:

For another 1-1.5 million, you can lock in Brad Richards (who most likely won't be back with Dallas) for 8 years

3. deerslayer75

deerslayer75 Active Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Liberty, Missouri
    hockey is right up there with watching paint dry:D

4. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

5. buckwacker181

buckwacker181 # of bans record holder

Oct 9, 2006
    Catawussy
    Wayyyyy to much money for Backes. One of the most overrated players out there. He's good don't get me wrong, but he'll never net more than 25 goals.

6. Curtis

Curtis Active Member

This is what happens when you overhype your players like Davidson has done. When you go out and state "these are the players of the future and this is who we are going to stick with", all that does is give the mediocre / ok players the excuse to ask for crazy money.

At some point, JD has to do what's right for the team if that means getting all the fans PO'd.

If someone else wants Backes at 4.5mill, we should let them have him (or trade him at the deadline if by chance we're out of the playoffs). The only way we're going to make this work is if all of our prospects sign long term deals at a decent price just to keep the gang together. That's the only way we're going to be able to go out and get a true franchise forward in free agency. Otherwise in a couple years we're going to have 25 million dollars in Backes, Oshie, Perron, Berlund, Johnson, and Petro. And do you really Halak is going to settle for 3.75million in 3 more years? He's going to want 6.
    We're going to have near 30 million dollars invested in these 7 players?

Folks, we have to decide if THIS is the team we want for the next 10 years. The answer to that question is NO!

7. Wings Fan 19

Wings Fan 19 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Kansas City, MO.
    One more reason Kenny Holland is the best GM in sports.:wave: