Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals,

Been following MW for some time, but haven't gotten around to asking a question just yet. Long story short, I'm flying back to Missouri for opening weekend of rifle season, and we're planning to hunt Danville CA opening day. (My dad lives in Wright City, so it's fairly convenient.)

We hunted there quite a bit after opening weekend last year, and while it was far from empty, we didn't have too much trouble running into other hunters. That being the case, does anyone know how hard it gets hit opening weekend?

I've grown up hunting public land, so I'm used to the game. I don't mind putting a few miles on my boots to get away from the crowds, and Danville seems big enough to do so. Just want to get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks for any info you have to share!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Public lands hunts are a challenge. Just have to have several options. You may have a great place picked out and get there only to find another hunter. You know that if you hunt a lot of public. Never deer hunted there, but have turkey hunted there. From what I re-call we went middle of the week not opener and it wasn't bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info! I figured there would be quite a few people there opening weekend. Got a couple of other options if it's too crowded for comfort.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks for the info! I figured there would be quite a few people there opening weekend. Got a couple of other options if it's too crowded for comfort.
If it helps I got drawn for a public hunt a few years ago. Killed opening morning went back the next morning (Had to take stands down everyday) someone was sitting in "my spot" went to my second option, Oops someone there too. Got pissed went and sat down in the woods at the base of a tree. Had one of the biggest bucks I have ever seen in my life walk within 35 yards of me. Couldn't kill it the req's for the hunt were 2 does, then you could take a buck. I only had my opening day doe. I guess my msg here is if there are a lot of hunters it probably pressures the deer into routes they may not be comfortable with most of the time. Any spot in the woods could be good at that point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts