DANGER! 2 stroke outboards

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by igor, Mar 23, 2006.

1. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    congress in all of thier wisdom has mandated that
    all gas formulated in the us can no longer have
    mtbe as an oxeginate it is to be replaced by a
    10 percent ethenol blend. this is bad for 2 cycle
    engines using anything but a synthetic oil.
    guys i'm no expert on this the local boat dealer
    said to run notheing but synthetic oil, and
    to put a fuel water seperator in the supply line.
    be carefull and any input would be appreciated.
    higbee.

2. huntforfunnfood

huntforfunnfood New Member

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    not only outboards but any small engine, chain saws mowers weedeater they all hate ethenol even a 10 percent blend

3. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Ought to be nice on my new Stihl :mad:

4. Woods

Woods Cooyon, Back from NOLA

I already had the stuff eat the o-rings out of the carb in my riding mower. I now add a fuel additive/preservative to my fuel tanks.

5. beanpile

beanpile just a no body

guess you'lljust have yto watch where you get your fuel for now on

boy I love a complicated life

6. membergone

membergone New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm a little confused. (What's new?)

DSG has been using Casey's 91 octane ethanol blend on every two stroker that I own for years. Frankly I think I have less problems with things than most.

Again. I am confused.

7. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    dsg

truth about it is most newer engines will run on just a 10% blend. older ones can be touchy.

although its awful for me to say growing up on a farm and being full blooded farmer i personally am not a big fan of ethonal its a not liking change factor i guess

truth be told if one gives a 10% blend a shot and you don't have any problems then your going to be ok and even if you have some minor extra pings or such stop using it or get try a fuel addive.

heres a link to the iowa corn growers site.

http://www.iowacorn.org/ethanol/ethanol_3d.html

most of us well never be able to tell any difference in a 10% blend.
    alot of my negative feelings come from experience with muli fuel cars that can run normal gas and the E-85 i can see differences when we burn a tank or two of gas and then a tank or two of E-85 I won't get into that but any way if your not having problems don't be worried

8. Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgetown, MN
    I just wish I could run E-85 in everything! We have had E-10 mandated in our gas for years and we got used to it. I run it in everything I own. However when you first start you should be ready to clean or change your fuel filters as it will clean up your gas tank and send all the water, dirt etc to your carb.

9. JMAC

JMAC Senior Member

Aug 31, 2005
    Cole County
    I already use the E10 from BreakTime as much as possbile. I like that it is the same price as the 87 and I can't see any difference. I've never tried it in any two stroke engines though.

10. chuck88

chuck88 Active Member

Jun 29, 2005
    Fulton MO
    wonder what that will do for my dirt bike:confused:

11. V.P.

V.P. New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    question for those who use e-85 in your cars/trucks?

What, if any, is the difference in mileage between regular gas and e-85?

12. huntforfunnfood

Jun 30, 2003
    new bloomfield mo
    V.P.

all the state gov. ford tauras (at least the onew were i work) are multi fuel veichles and run on reg gas or E-85
    ploicy is to run e-85 any time we can
    now i have to say there are areas in the state we can 't get e-85 so we have to switch back and forth not sure if that makes a difference or not. but
    my experience is that we loose 10-15 % fuel milage with e-85 and there is also less get up and go to the cars when burning e-85

in the cold weather you have to make sure the e-85 has a cold weather addive or the cars WILL NOT start.

all of the loss of milage is a fact and when e-85 was being developed so to say this was suspose to be off set by the fact e-85 would be cheaper.

there is lots of wiggle room at the providers for priceing of e-85 but to me its just crooked because there was (assume there still is) gov money for sellers to have e-85
    and there was policies set to keep e-85 cheaper
    now stations just use the excuses that it cost more to have it shipped and blah blah and in many locations e-85 is the same or only a couple cents cheaper than gas.
    as long as that is the case i have no reason to use it what benifits is there to me?
    see my point.
    if your lucky enough to be in certian locations e-85 can be 10-15 cents cheaper then it might pay to use if your driving a car or something were your not pulling a load and the slight loss of power isn't noticed
    e-85 is said to be cleaner for engine and enviroment so i guess your engine might last longer is burns cooler as well.

its alot of personal prefernce is guess but for me i am not sold yet

13. Bronco Brian

Bronco Brian New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Georgetown, MN
    We are lucky enough to have E-85 locally and priced about .40 under regular. At that price we are just about even vs reg.
    Where it works for me well is blending it on my 99 Continental that is designed to burn premium fuel-I mix 4 gals E-85 and 12 gals 89 octatin E-10 regular and come up w about a 93 octain rating. I loose about 1 mile per gal on the open road and save about 6-8 dollars on a tankfull vs buring 92 octain premium. My wife drives a 00 Taurus that is designed to burn E-85, we get the same preformance but loose about 20% fuel economy. I have been told that the larger vehicle such as the Yukons only drop about 5%.
    I guess I will use as much as I can even if I would only break even or have to pay a little more just to support our farmers vs sending that money to the middle East. I don't think those people even like me, and I would love to have the kiss my:ass:

14. Brander

Brander Active Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Ofallon,mo
    Like DSG said, I have been burning ethanol in everything for years not sure what the problem is, so far I have not had any problems.

15. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

They need to show a benefit to the farmer somewhere. If you consider the amount of ethenol already being burned, and then look at last years corn prices, it looks to me like somebody besides the farmers are the ones makin the money off this. I know I don't need to be able to sell more of something I'm not making any money on.

:cheers::cheers:

16. igor

igor Active Member

Mar 8, 2006
    just telling what i was told by a professional outboard mechanic
    he said that ethanol breaks down conventional two stroke oil.

17. mobiggerbucks

mobiggerbucks New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    lake of the ozarks
    What wories me is my500 gallon fuel tank for my tractor . How long can it set before it starts absorbing water ? Anybody know ?