Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
70,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a dozen Carbon Express Maxima 350 arrows. While shooting today to sight them in I noticed that my serving was wearing on my string where I hook on my caliper release. I have never used the D-loop technique to keep this from happening. Since I am starting to get into this archery sport again I think I may need some sort of D-Loop installed. Common sense tells me if I put on a string D-Loop it will change my length of pull slightly since the part where I will attach my caliper jaws will be farther back on the string plus the attachment of the caliper will be straight behind the arrow nock and not underneath it like it is now. Then again there is one company that has an aluminum D-Loop that is positioned just under the arrow nock very similar to my original knocking position but still farther back on the original string knocking point. What opinion do you have on either string, aluminum or the aluminum with below center nock. Another question is what will installing any of these affect my arrow draw length or speed. Put on your thinking cap DSG. I value your opinion.

Attachments

· Registered
1,572 Posts
I don't shoot one anymore. One more thing to go wrong. Use good braided serving, have it replaced once a year and you won't have problem. My.02

· Registered
3,647 Posts
Definately use a string D-loop Mailman. With reference to what RAKMAN said, on the surface that may seem the case. However, the D-loop if installed properly will likely be the least likely thing to go wrong on your set up.

I would quit shooting again before I'd go back to a set-up that didn't use a string D-loop.

:cheers:

· Registered
70,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do remember years ago when recurves were the thing (BCB.......Before Compound Bows) we would wrap fishing line around the regular serving string. That way the monofiliment line would take the punishment rather than squeezing the serving string and wearing it out.....................those little D-Loops look like they would slip to me. Looks to be a beefed up granny knot. But I'm sure that they hold or guys wouldn't be using them.....right?

· Registered
3,647 Posts
Can't slip if installed properly. It's like those Chinese...hail, what do you call 'em, those things you used to win at the carnival that you'd stick yoru fingers in and pull and they'd lock down on your fingers. Same principle.

Now adays Mailman you need a D-loop. It's not about string wear. It's about the angle that the string comes back to the nocking point. The angle is so severe with the short ATA bows that the torque is tremendous on the string if you try to attack a caliper or a hand held that doesn't have a string directly onto the serving.

The other alternative of course is to shoot release with a rope. Put the D-loop on, you'll love it.

19,585 Posts
Good topic, MM...

I'm just getting into shooting a compound bow, and you're asking all the right questions. As in ~ I don't have to ask 'em now.

:D

BTW ~ I'm set up with a string D-loop, and I just bought the TruBall Loopmaster release.

I haven't tried it yet, 'cause I ain't made it to town to get some arrows cut. But MoBowman let me try his release when I test-drove it, and I must say ~ I like it!

I know, I know...I don't have any experience, let alone tried anything to compare it to, but...I truly believe that neither MoBowman or DSG is gonna steer me wrong.

5,631 Posts
DSG, Chinese handcuffs.

Mailman, just do it. You won't be disappointed. String all the way.

· Registered
70,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:eek: I tell ya since I bought those Carbon Express arrows from deer_slayer I have a new found interest in bow hunting again. I might end up selling all my deer rifles............NOT! They are so much faster than my 2117 Aluminums.....like WOW!! AND TIGHT GROUPS. I'm impressed with myself. :dancin:

· Registered
3,647 Posts
:cheers: It's great ain't it! :cheers:

I sure don't miss sitting around straightening arrows every nite like I used to 20 years ago. A LOT of the time they needed straightening even before they were shot the FIRST time! :neuspeuter:

· Registered
2,693 Posts
shooting a string d loop,,,,,,,,the only thing that worries me about
it for a hunting setup is getting all worked up over a big deer and
not being able to get my caliper release on.
thinking about going back to the string for that reason.

5,631 Posts
Originally posted by DShootnstGentemn
Now adays Mailman you need a D-loop. It's not about string wear. It's about the angle that the string comes back to the nocking point. The angle is so severe with the short ATA bows that the torque is tremendous on the string if you try to attack a caliper or a hand held that doesn't have a string directly onto the serving.
DSG has this nailed down. I'd definately reconsider your options before I went back to a caliper on the string if your bow is somewhere around 35" or less ATA. Maybe even 37" to be safe.

· Registered
3,647 Posts
Originally posted by igor

the only thing that worries me about
it for a hunting setup is getting all worked up over a big deer and
not being able to get my caliper release on.
Go to a T-Handle realease, hang the release on the D-loop, leave it there. It's always right there when you need it.

(not to mention that the T-handle is a lot better release than a trigger type.)

· Registered
1,618 Posts
Anothe vote for the string d-loop. The aluminum ones fasten with screws and one of my buddy's came loose on him. I have shot the same loop for three years now and no problems. Also, the aluminum loops wear on your release.

· Registered
70,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK....A String D-Loop it is. But no one has answered my second question. What effect will installing a string D-Loop have on my draw length and or arrow speed? I figure it would give me around 1/2 inch less of draw length....or does it? And for speed....a little less since there is a shorter draw length......right?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.