Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Under appreciated
86,796 Posts
Flounder, thanks again for the info.
Can you dumb this down for the dummies here, including me?
What were the conclusions? Give us the cliff notes please.

·
Registered
38,389 Posts
HeeHee....He said, "Rectal".....

·
Registered
313 Posts
What gets me is that CWD has been around for a long time. If it is such a big deal why are tests not developed and certified for live animals. Also why do we still not know as much about this disease as we should? Seems this should be an important enough issue to get funding for research....

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What gets me is that CWD has been around for a long time. If it is such a big deal why are tests not developed and certified for live animals. Also why do we still not know as much about this disease as we should? Seems this should be an important enough issue to get funding for research....
politics, politics, politics $$$

trade, nothing else matters (Stanley Prusiner) Nobel Prize winner for the Prion.

one only has to look at Creekstone, and the attempt to test for BSE there from by an industry, because the government would not do it, and the International trade markets would not have that, so what did they do when the BSE atypical strains started showing up during the infamous bse enhanced surveillance program, the usda simply shut it down, went back to testing numbers so low, you could not find a case of mad cow disease unless it walked up and dropped downer right in front of you. THEN, oh it gets better for sure, after that fateful day on December 23, 2003, the day the USDA et al lost their BSE gold card, the shoe was then on the other foot, and the USDA et al went to the OIE and between the two of them, abolished the BSE GBR risk assessments, and went to the BSE MRR assessments (minimal risk region), which then allowed the legal trading of all strains of BSE globally. it's all about money folks, trade now with big ag, and nothing else matters...

-------- Original Message --------

Subject: US SENATOR AND STAN THE MAN SLAM USDA ''DAMNING TESTIMONY''

Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:15:24 -0600

Greetings List members,

damning testimony below. be sure to _first_ open up real player competely, then paste your url in there. this worked best for me.........TSS

US SENATOR AND STAN THE MAN SLAM USDA ''DAMNING TESTIMONY''

Senator Michael Machado from California

''USDA does not know what's going on''. ''USDA is protecting the industry''. ''SHOULD the state of California step in''

Stanley Prusiner

''nobody has ever ask us to comment''

''they don't want us to comment''

''they never ask''

i tried to see Venemon, after Candian cow was discovered with BSE. went to see lyle. after talking with him...

absolute ignorance...

then thought i should see Venemon...

it was clear his entire policy was to get cattle bonless beef prods across the border...

nothing else mattered...

his aids confirmed this...

5 times i tried to see Venemon, never worked...

eventually met with carl rove the political...

he is the one that arranged meeting with Venemon...

just trying to give you a sense of the distance...

healh public safety...

was never contacted...

yes i believe that prions are bad to eat and you can die from them...END

Dr. Stan bashing Ann Veneman - 3 minutes

Recall Authority and Mad Cow Disease: Is the Current System Good for Californians?

Tuesday, February 24, 2004

JOINT HEARING

AGRICULTURE AND WATER RESOURCES HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES AND SELECT COMMITTEE ON GOVERNMENT OVERSIGHT - MACHADO, ORTIZ, and SPEIER, Chairs

Choose a RealPlayer video --->

Selected excerpts:
Opening Statement by Senator Michael Machado

Elisa Odibashian - Consumers Union

Anthony Iton - Alemeda County Health

USDA's "memorandum of understanding"

Dave Louthan - Killed the Mad Cow

Dennis Laycraft - Canadian Cattlemen's Association

Stanley Prusiner - Discoverer of Prions

Steven DeArmond - Professor of Neuropathology

Entire 5 hour hearing - The California Channel
(scroll down to "022404 Senate Info-Hearing")

http://www.calchannel.com/february2004.htm

Related:

Beef recall secrecy fought - Under fire, state health officials are trying to get the USDA to change rule Sacramento Bee - 02/25/04
Mad cow censoring gets legislators' goat - Tainted-meat trail kept from public by deal with feds San Francisco Chronicle - 02/25/04

please note, this hearing and it's video was later removed from the internet. ...tss

TSE PRION FUNDING (including cwd)

35 million for 2013...see funding from past, and for future ;

Research/Disease Areas (Dollars in millions and rounded) FY 2010 Actual
(Non-ARRA) FY 2010 Actual (ARRA) 10/ FY 2011A ctual FY 2012 Actual FY 2013 Actual FY 2014 Estimated FY 2015 Estimated

Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathy (TSE) $48 $3 $46 $39 $35 $36 $36

kind regards,
terry

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flounder, thanks again for the info.
Can you dumb this down for the dummies here, including me?
What were the conclusions? Give us the cliff notes please.
well, it's difficult for me to dumb this down much for dummies like me.

for years, IHC was the gold standard testing. ...because it missed cases. the usda et al and the oie have known this for years and years and years, decade or more. well hell, I know it's been longer than a decade, because Dr. Detwiler et al stated it about the obex only testing for tse prion disease.

Paul Brown, one of the leading TSE scientist at the NIH/CDC. I quote ; "Everything they did on the Texas cow makes everything USDA did before 2005 suspect," Brown said. ...

snip...end

http://www.upi.com/ConsumerHealthDaily/view.php?StoryID=20060315-055557-1284r

PAUL BROWN COMMENT TO ME ON THIS ISSUE T

uesday, September 12, 2006 11:10 AM

"Actually, Terry, I have been critical of the USDA handling of the mad cow issue for some years, and with Linda Detwiler and others sent lengthy detailed critiques and recommendations to both the USDA and the Canadian Food Agency."

OR, what the Honorable Phyllis Fong of the OIG found ;

Audit Report Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) Surveillance Program â€" Phase II and Food Safety and Inspection Service Controls Over BSE Sampling, Specified Risk Materials, and Advanced Meat Recovery Products - Phase III Report No. 50601-10-KC January 2006 Finding 2 Inherent Challenges in Identifying and Testing High-Risk Cattle Still Remain

http://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/50601-10-KC.pdf

â€These 9,200 cases were different because brain tissue samples were preserved with formalin, which makes them suitable for only one type of test--immunohistochemistry, or IHC."

THIS WAS DONE FOR A REASON! THE IHC test has been proven to be the LEAST LIKELY to detect BSE/TSE in the bovine, and these were probably from the most high risk cattle pool, the ones the USDA et al, SHOULD have been testing. ...TSS

USDA 2003

We have to be careful that we don't get so set in the way we do things that we forget to look for different emerging variations of disease. We've gotten away from collecting the whole brain in our systems. We're using the brain stem and we're looking in only one area. In Norway, they were doing a project and looking at cases of Scrapie, and they found this where they did not find lesions or PRP in the area of the obex. They found it in the cerebellum and the cerebrum. It's a good lesson for us. Ames had to go back and change the procedure for looking at Scrapie samples. In the USDA, we had routinely looked at all the sections of the brain, and then we got away from it. They've recently gone back. Dr. Keller: Tissues are routinely tested, based on which tissue provides an 'official' test result as recognized by APHIS. Dr. Detwiler: That's on the slaughter. But on the clinical cases, aren't they still asking for the brain? But even on the slaughter, they're looking only at the brainstem. We may be missing certain things if we confine ourselves to one area.

snip.............

Dr. Detwiler: It seems a good idea, but I'm not aware of it. Another important thing to get across to the public is that the negatives do not guarantee absence of infectivity. The animal could be early in the disease and the incubation period. Even sample collection is so important. If you're not collecting the right area of the brain in sheep, or if collecting lymphoreticular tissue, and you don't get a good biopsy, you could miss the area with the PRP in it and come up with a negative test. There's a new, unusual form of Scrapie that's been detected in Norway. We have to be careful that we don't get so set in the way we do things that we forget to look for different emerging variations of disease. We've gotten away from collecting the whole brain in our systems. We're using the brain stem and we're looking in only one area. In Norway, they were doing a project and looking at cases of Scrapie, and they found this where they did not find lesions or PRP in the area of the obex. They found it in the cerebellum and the cerebrum. It's a good lesson for us. Ames had to go back and change the procedure for looking at Scrapie samples. In the USDA, we had routinely looked at all the sections of the brain, and then we got away from it. They've recently gone back. Dr. Keller: Tissues are routinely tested, based on which tissue provides an 'official' test result as recognized by APHIS . Dr. Detwiler: That's on the slaughter. But on the clinical cases, aren't they still asking for the brain? But even on the slaughter, they're looking only at the brainstem. We may be missing certain things if we confine ourselves to one area.

snip... FULL TEXT;

Completely Edited Version PRION ROUNDTABLE Accomplished this day,
Wednesday, December 11, 2003, Denver, Colorado 2005

http://madcowtesting.blogspot.com/2009/02/report-on-testing-ruminants-for-tses-in.html

MAD COW IN TEXAS NOVEMBER 2004. ...TSS

Subject: Re: BSE 'INCONCLUSIVE' COW from TEXAS ???
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:12:15 -0600
To: Carla Everett
References:

Greetings Carla, still hear a rumor; Texas single beef cow not born in Canada no beef entered the food chain? and i see the TEXAS department of animal health is ramping up for something, but they forgot a url for update? I HAVE NO ACTUAL CONFIRMATION YET... can you confirm???

terry

============================================================

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:38:21 -0600
To: "Terry S. Singeltary Sr."References;[log in to unmask];

The USDA has made a statement, and we are referring all callers to the USDA web site. We have no information about the animal being in Texas. Carla At 09:44 AM 11/19/2004, you wrote: Greetings Carla, i am getting unsubstantiated claims of this BSE 'inconclusive' cow is from TEXAS. can you comment on this either way please? thank you, Terry S. Singeltary Sr

======================================

Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:33:20 -0600
To: "Terry S. Singeltary Sr."References:

our computer department was working on a place holder we could post USDA's announcement of any results. There are no results to be announced tonight by NVSL, so we are back in a waiting mode and will post the USDA announcement when we hear something.

At 06:05 PM 11/22/2004, you wrote:

why was the announcement on your TAHC site removed?

Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy: November 22: Press Release title here star image More BSE information terry Carla Everett wrote: no confirmation on the U.S.'inconclusive test...

no confirmation on location of animal. ;

FROM HERE, IT TOOK 7 MONTHS TO CONFIRM THIS MAD COW, while the BSE MRR policy was being bought and sold...(in my opinion...tss)

http://bse-atypical.blogspot.com/2008/08/bovine-spongiform-encephalopathy-mad.html

continued...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

for years, IHC was the gold standard testing. ...because it missed cases. the usda et al and the oie have known this for years and years and years, decade or more. well hell, I know it's been longer than a decade, because Dr. Detwiler et al stated it about the obex only testing for tse prion disease.
snip...

continued...
Subject: USA BIO-RADs INCONCLUSIVEs
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 15:37:28 -0600
To: [email protected]

Hello Susan and Bio-Rad, Happy Holidays!

I wish to ask a question about Bio-Rad and USDA BSE/TSE testing and there inconclusive. IS the Bio-Rad test for BSE/TSE that complicated, or is there most likely some human error we are seeing here? HOW can Japan have 2 positive cows with No clinical signs WB+, IHC-, HP- , BUT in the USA, these cows are considered 'negative'?

IS there more politics working here than science in the USA?

What am I missing?

Subject: Re: USDA: More mad cow testing will demonstrate beef's safety Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:26:19 -0600

snip...end

Experts doubt USDA's mad cow results

snip...END

WELL, someone did call me from Bio-Rad about this, however it was not Susan Berg. but i had to just about take a blood oath not to reveal there name. IN fact they did not want me to even mention this, but i feel it is much much to important. I have omitted any I.D. of this person, but thought I must document this ;

Bio-Rad, TSS phone conversation 12/28/04

Finally spoke with ;

Bio-Rad Laboratories 2000 Alfred Nobel Drive Hercules, CA 94547 Ph: 510-741-6720 Fax: 510-741-5630 Email: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX at approx. 14:00 hours 12/28/04,

I had a very pleasant phone conversation with XXXX XXXXX about the USDA and the inconclusive BSE testing problems they seem to keep having. X was very very cautious as to speak directly about USDA and it's policy of not using WB. X was very concerned as a Bio-Rad official of retaliation of some sort. X would only speak of what other countries do, and that i should take that as an answer. I told X I understood that it was a very loaded question and X agreed several times over and even said a political one.

my question; Does Bio-Rad believe USDA's final determination of False positive, without WB, and considering the new atypical TSEs not showing positive with -IHC and -HP ???

ask if i was a reporter. i said no, i was with CJD Watch and that i had lost my mother to hvCJD. X did not want any of this recorded or repeated. again, very nervous, will not answer directly about USDA for fear of retaliation, but again said X tell me what other countries are doing and finding, and that i should take it from there. "very difficult to answer" "very political" "very loaded question" outside USA and Canada, they use many different confirmatory tech. in house WB, SAF, along with IHC, HP, several times etc. you should see at several talks meetings (TSE) of late Paris Dec 2, that IHC- DOES NOT MEAN IT IS NEGATIVE. again, look what the rest of the world is doing. said something about Dr. Houston stating;

any screening assay, always a chance for human error. but with so many errors (i am assuming X meant inconclusive), why are there no investigations, just false positives?

said something about ''just look at the sheep that tested IHC- but were positive''. ... TSS

Subject: Your questions
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 15:58:11 -0800
Hi Terry: ............................................

snip

Let me know your phone number so I can talk to you about the Bio-Rad BSE test. Thank you Regards Bio-Rad Laboratories 2000 Alfred Nobel Drive Hercules, CA 94547 Ph: 510-741-6720 Fax: 510-741-5630 Email:

=================================

END...TSS

######### https://listserv.kaliv.uni-karlsruhe.de/warc/bse-l.html ##########

Executive Summary In June 2005, an inconclusive bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) sample from November 2004, that had originally been classified as negative on the immunohistochemistry test, was confirmed positive on SAF immunoblot (Western blot). The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) identified the herd of origin for the index cow in Texas; that identification was confirmed by DNA analysis. USDA, in close cooperation with the Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC), established an incident command post (ICP) and began response activities according to USDA’s BSE Response Plan of September 2004. Response personnel removed at-risk cattle and cattle of interest (COI) from the index herd, euthanized them, and tested them for BSE; all were negative. USDA and the State extensively traced all at-risk cattle and COI that left the index herd. The majority of these animals entered rendering and/or slaughter channels well before the investigation began. USDA’s response to the Texas finding was thorough and effective.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/issues/bse/epi-updates/bse_final_epidemiology_report.pdf

Report on Food & Drug Administration Dallas District Investigation of Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy Event in Texas 2005 Executive Summary: On June 24, 2005, USDA informed FDA that a cow in Texas tested positive for Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE). Information provided by APHIS was that the BSE positive cow was born and raised in a herd in Texas and was approximately 12 years old. The animal was sampled for BSE at a pet food plant in Texas on November 15, 2004, as part of USDA’s enhanced surveillance program.

http://www.fda.gov/cvm/texasfeedrpt.htm

Texas even had a 'secret' test that showed that mad cow positive; experimental IHC test results, because the test was not a validated procedure, and because the two approved IHC tests came back negative, the results were not considered to be of regulatory significance and therefore were not reported beyond the laboratory. • A Western blot test conducted the week of June 5, 2005, returned positive for BSE.

http://www.usda.gov/documents/vs_bse_ihctestvar.pdf

48 hr BSE confirmation turnaround took 7+ months to confirm this case, so the BSE MRR policy could be put into place. ...

TSS

Subject: re-USDA's surveillance plan for BSE aka mad cow disease
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 16:59:07 -0500
To: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Greetings Honorable Paul Feeney, Keith Arnold, and William Busbyet al at OIG, ...............

snip...

There will be several more emails of my research to follow.
I respectfully request a full inquiry into the cover-up of TSEs in the United States of America over the past 30 years. I would be happy to testify...

Thank you, I am sincerely,

Terry S. Singeltary Sr.
P.O. Box 42 Bacliff,
Texas USA 77518
xxx xxx xxxx

Date: June 14, 2005 at 1:46 pm PST

In Reply to: Re: Transcript Ag. Secretary Mike Johanns and Dr. John Clifford, Regarding further analysis of BSE Inconclusive Test Results posted by TSS on June 13, 2005 at 7:33 pm:

Secretary of Agriculture Ann M. Veneman resigns Nov 15 2004, three days later inclusive Mad Cow is announced. June 7th 2005 Bill Hawks Under Secretary for Marketing and Regulatory Programs resigns. Three days later same mad cow found in November turns out to be positive. Both resignation are unexpected. just pondering...

TSS MAD COW IN TEXAS NOVEMBER 2004. ...TSS

http://madcowtesting.blogspot.com/2008/03/rapid-typing-of-transmissible.html http://madcowtesting.blogspot.com/

Saturday, August 16, 2008 Qualitative Analysis of BSE Risk Factors in the United States February 13, 2000 at 3:37 pm PST (BSE red book)

http://bseusa.blogspot.com/2008/08/qualitative-analysis-of-bse-risk.html

continued...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally Posted by flounder

snip...continued...

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Development of an oral vaccine for chronic wasting disease

AD.24: Development of an oral vaccine for chronic wasting disease

snip...

We have identified the vaccine components necessary for delivering a CWD vaccine to wild cervids. These findings will direct our final CWD vaccine formulation and delivery system.

http://www.prion2013.ca/tiny_uploads/forms/Scientific-Program.pdf

http://www.neuroprion.org/resources/pdf_docs/conferences/prion2009/brochure-tse_workshop.pdf

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/02/newly-developed-injectable-cwd-vaccine.html

USDA Fights Court Decision Approving BSE Tests
From Terry S. Singeltary Sr. [email protected] 5-30-7
To: [email protected]
Cc: [email protected]aphis.usda.gov; [email protected];
[email protected];[email protected] [email protected]
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2007 2:07 PM
Subject: USDA VS CREEKSTONE BSE/BASE/TSE TESTING Civil Action No. 06-0544 (JR)
May 27, 2007

Honorable Michael Johanns Secretary of Agriculture U.S. Department of Agriculture Room 200 Jamie Whitten Federal Building Washington, D.C. 20250

CC

Honorable Judge James Robertson U.S. District Court 333 Constitution Ave. North West Washington, D. C. 20001
Subject: Request to let the Creekstone vs. USDA court decision stand.
Ref: Letter from United States Animal Health Association, dated May 22, 2007

Dear Mr. Secretary et al :

I am requesting that you allow the court decision in the Creekstone vs. USDA to stand so that Creekstone may begin testing the beef they process for BSE and or BASE and or any other TSE phenotype there of. WE must let them test since the USDA et al refuse to do so properly. This is not to say that there should be no strict TSE testing protocols. IF testing is to take place privately, there must be strict TSE testing protocol to assure the most up to date, sensitive, and validated tests are used, and used properly. These tests must be announced to the public in a timely manner at every step of the way, validated and confirmed by the federal government, Weybridge, and an independent third party consumer organization and there TSE expert of choice, in my opinion.

Subject: BSE TESTING CREEKSTONE VS USDA
Reply-To: Sustainable Agriculture Network Discussion Group [email protected]
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 10:23:42 â€"0600

http://lists.ifas.ufl.edu/cgi-bin/wa.exe?A2=ind0611&L=sanet-mg&P=R14044&I=-3

http://madcowtesting.blogspot.com/2008/08/creekstone-vs-usda-court-of-appeals.html

say there rat, I hope this helped out a bit. TSE prion testing is just not an exact science yet. if you read through the latest there that I posted, seems if you apply all three i.e. IHC, rectal, and tonsil, your better off, the more the better. my gosh, I have watched scientist try to perfect this since 97, and it has progressed, but at such a slow pace, by the time a test is validated for all TSE prion disease, with 100% sensitivity, and put into use, every person on the planet will have been exposed via many different species, routes and sources. I recon not having any _detectable_ DNR or RNA to date, is problematic in the process of finding a test. but then you have the arm of big ag i.e. USDA, again, if you look at mad cow disease, and testing there from, they simply don't want to find it. that's the bottom line, in my opinion $$$ there's just too much of it out there. ...

kind regards, terry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts