Featured CWD IN IOWA

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by Stan The Man, Feb 8, 2018.

1. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    And yet, you still advocate on their behalf, instead of sportsmen who like to hunt free range, wild deer.... Strange.... :thinking:

2. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017

when did SCI come of age and when did BC & PY? SCI came after them and the reason why, generally speaking the wealthy and uninspired (hunting abilities or time) people not will to put forth an effort on fair chase and free ranging animals could have a spot to put their names in a record book....so SCI have to tweak the original definition of fair chase set forth by BC!

3. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    That is an example of not being free range. Just because not hunting free range doe's not mean something is not ethical and vise versa. Just the fact of the ethical part is up for debate. I could shoot a free range deer that is locked up with another and some would not think that was ethical. It would still be free range l.

20' likes this.
  4. thwackaddict

thwackaddict Senior Member

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    My point is that free range does not equal fair chase.(IMO) Because fair chase is not Right or Wrong it is opinion. There are places all over the US where wild free range deer could just be walked up to within 50 yards and legally shot.(wild deer that have became tame)

If you think you are right in this discussion.... you are wrong! :D:rofl::banging: Fair chase is an opinion... fences or no fences.

I think this CWD scare is actually caused by climate change. We all need to vote for a Democratic president in 2020 if we are going to save deer hunting. I jest, but watch this become a headline in 2019 before the next election.:rofl:

5. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    No, I dont advocate for them. I simply point out that many people are confused about the issue.

6. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Thats irrelevant. The point is there is not just one definition of fair chasr.

7. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    So, you think shooting a deer inside a 5 acre enclosure could be fair chase? I don't see that..... It may be my opinion, but i'd wager that most sportsmen and women feel the same way, so at what point does it go past opinion, and become a fact. It's a fact for me that shooting penned deer is not fair chase, and B&C agrees with me, as do most sportsmen and women... Most.

20' likes this.
  8. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Did you EVEN READ th article I posted??

Id wager a fair amount that MOST hunters have an acreage at which they believe a fenced area would become fair chase...

9. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    No there is still only one correct one. I could write that the definition of the number 1 is 2+2 and that would not make it right. It might make someone feel good that is ****ty at math but that is not the correct definition.

10. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Fair chase is a concept, not a math problem.

11. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    I was just trying to dumb it down for you.

12. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    No need for that. I understand it pretty well. There is no one definition of fair chase. Its a classic sorites paradox. Some people just want to cram their definition down other people throats.

13. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    Well I don't know. You thought I wrote a math problem, when it was obviously an example of a false definition.

henry likes this.
  14. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I get it... but many here think this concept is a 1+1 type of deal, and its not. Its more like a persons definition of spicy or hot.

15. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    No it is not, pretty cut and dry by the establishment (BC) that many look to the set the standards on deer hunting throughout North America.

Free range and fair chase go hand in hand! Take away the free range part and it is something other than fair chase. At that point It is up to each individual how they want to define it, but fair chase is it's not!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  16. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    There may be multiple definitions, but none of them include penned critters. :D

17. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    BC is not the "establishment". They have their own definition, if you choose to you can use it. But its not the only definition. Fair chase is no different than ethics. No different than baiting being legal and "FAIR CHASE" in one state and not fair chase and illegal in another.

Until you realize that YOU dont get to define it for everyone else you will never understand exactly what it means.

18. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    This one does, and is used by tons of US hunters. You will find mire hunters that buy into fenced fair chase if the pen is big enough than wont.

Screenshot_20180209-141743.jpg Screenshot_20180209-141754.jpg Screenshot_20180209-141807.jpg

19. oneshot 1

oneshot 1 Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Ozarks
    Many on this Forum Hunted under these conditions and said it in no way was a slam dunk.

oneshot

:D The Big Grin can't go.

Hawk likes this.
  20. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Yep.