Featured CWD IN IOWA

Discussion in 'Whitetails General' started by Stan The Man, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member Sponsor

Oct 15, 2009
    PY and BD dont govern squat.

And if you ask sportsmen you will get answers that fall all over the spectrum. Some will say 1000 acres with one deer is fair chase. Some will say 10,000 fenced acres. Some will say 50k fenced acres. Some will say ANY fenced acres isnt fair chase. You need to realize that this isnt 20 fts thing to decide for anyone other than 20 ft.

2. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    no, sorry hawk, it is either free range or it ISN'T. no grey or gray areas in Fair Chase! Now you are right, people can try and justify in their minds, but that doesn't change the definition!

Maddux and callaojoe like this.

3. 20'

20' Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2017
    Fair chase is a term used by hunters to describe an ethical approach to hunting big game animals. North America's oldest wildlife conservation group, the Boone and Crockett Club, defines "fair chase" as requiring hunted big game animals to be wild and free-ranging.[1] "Wild" refers to an animal that is naturally bred and lives in nature. "Free-ranging" means an animal that is not confined by artificial barriers.

Fair chase has been the honor code of North American hunters for over a century and the principle underlying many of North American hunting laws, and is taught to new hunters in hunter certification courses.

callaojoe likes this.
  4. callaojoe

callaojoe Máistir an pointe hocht.

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    20's not "defining" it, he just understands what is, and what is not fair chase... Pretty simple, B&C defined it. :wave1:

5. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Thats only your opinion 20. You are free to have it but you dont get to define it for others.

6. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    I think Hawk is confusing ethics and fair chase.

7. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    BC has thwir interpretation, but it in no way defines it for all people. They evwn acknowledge that.

8. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    Well, there is no defnition of fair chase, that would inlcude penned deer. Period. :wave1:

That's ludicrous...

9. thwackaddict

thwackaddict Senior Member

Nov 1, 2007
    NW Missouri
    After skimming through the last several pages that have appeared on this thread since this morning, I think a distinction between fair chase and free range might be in order, Still not gonna change anyone's mind on the subject. I could see deer in the right fenced 500 acres being fair chase. In fact, if your talking bow hunting, our 60 could be fenced and it still be fair chase. They would become skittish and nocturnal very quickly. It is so thick and thorny there would be no stalking advantage with a bow.

In fact I can see places where free range deer would not(should not) be considered fair chase(IMO). Wild deer(no fence) that have no fear wouldn't be fair chase(IMO). I know of a 2000 acre property that even if it was fenced a hunter wouldn't have an advantage.(unless you wanted to deer drive them to death until you got lucky enough to get the shot you needed with a rifle)

I liken this discussion to the climate change discussion. Lots of people on both sides think they are right. No way to unequivocally prove what is right.

10. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I think the fact they are putting pen raised deer with reduced fear of humans in the enclosure is what makes the difference to most.

11. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    And yet.... Somehow I know that I am.... :D

20' likes this.
  12. Maddux

Maddux It's Da Debil

Aug 27, 2009
    Dallas County
    The degree of difficulty inside a fenced in area doe's not have anything to do with it being free range or not. If it's fenced it's not free range. If it's not it is free range under most normal circumstances.

20' likes this.
  13. henry

henry Fan Boy aka Mr Twisty and

I think the fact they are putting pen raised deer with reduced fear of humans in the enclosure is what makes the difference to most.

14. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Wrong

Screenshot_20180209-141743.jpg Screenshot_20180209-141754.jpg Screenshot_20180209-141807.jpg

15. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Boom..... exactly.

16. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    SCI hahahaha, they are cool with penned deer, they don't even count if you ask me.

It's like shooting the neigbors dog, and saying it was a wild wolf.... hahaha SCI...

20' likes this.
  17. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    I dont think anyone would dispute that. Free range means they can move freely. The question is, if you put a fence around an entire county in MO, would the deer hunted in that county then become NOT fair chase??

18. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    I always forget Hawk is MWT's advocate for the penned deer crowd.... Do they pay you with free pet shoots or something? :D

19. callaojoe

Jan 21, 2004
    N/C Missouri
    There ya go, typical hawkism... Use an absurdly ridiculous and impossible idea, and then say it proves that something is either right or wrong based off that... Nice try, back to the drawing board... :wave1:

20. Hawk

Oct 15, 2009
    Im not an advocate for them, or any other outfit.