Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cutting and treating sugar maples today and came across some that had nice mature oaks growing around them(kind of like a tree does to a barbed wire fence). Since I treated those SM with Pathway, will the oaks die? I have head that SM dont root graft but with them actually touching the oaks it has me a little worried. Does anyone have any experiance with this situation?

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,693 Posts
Well, it's Tordon + 2, 4-D, so I expect it'll act a lot like it. If you didn't get sloppy and splash it everywhere, but only treated the stumps, you should be good.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No overspray. Just the stump top. I was just afraid that the chemical might translocate to the oak

·
Preferred pronoun-Stud Muffin
10,693 Posts
Root grafts only happen between trees of the same species, and truth be told, of like size.
You don't get grafts between 2' oaks, and 6" oaks either, and never between species.
You're good.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good deal. Thanks UH

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
I wouldn't be too shocked if it died. It shouldn't, but it may. I've seen it happen.

Sometimes oaks need to die too. If they were intertwined like that, I'd probably kill them both....assuming the oak had some form issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.