Missouri Whitetails - Your Missouri Hunting Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of starting a project--customizing a 22 or possibly a .17

I'm looking for suggestions from those who might have done this. I'd probably start from a 10/22 and would want the gun to be used for hunting/target (weight and accuracy are my primary objectives)

What barrel would you choose?
Trigger?
Stock?
Caliber?
Optics?
Anything else?

Money is an issue. Id like to keep the total cost under 5 bills and I don't have a rifle to work with so that will need to be factored in as well.

:pop:

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
i haven't done a 10/22 yet but i have toyed a little with the m77/22's. for your 500.00 limit you will need to stick to the 10/22 if that is to include glass. if i was you i would start watching rimfirecentral as several complete rifles are offered for sale through out the year. by doing that you can get 700.00 worth of stuff for under 500.00 if you know what you want and wait it out. also you can do some of it over time to fully trick it out but you'll end up with a lot more into it because you wont be doing it all at once. ruger is definantly the way to go if you want to do it yourself and at your leisure. here is my two m77's on is a m77/22 in all S.S. the other is a blued m77/17 action with an aftermarket green mountain s.s. flueted barrel (sporter taper not bull barrel). both have trigger jobs but i still have some glass bedding to do once i know where both rifles are in terms of true accuracy. then i'll know how much improvement if any i get.

the all s.s. is topped with a sightron 6X 42 AO bechrest scope that midway did a deal on back this winter. it has a very fine cross hair. the blued action rifle (.17hmr) is topped with my Bushnell 3200 Elite 4x12x40 AO i took off my 7mm.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I have a 10/22 with laminated stock and stainless bull barrel that I might part with. I shot it in the sporter class at several silhouette shoots and did very well with it. I have already had the trigger worked and it shoots great groups. It isn't very heavy even though it has the bull barrel. Send me a pm if you are interested.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by JimH
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140268
ok it is a little over your price range but it is a start.:smiley:
$1100 for a 10/22:eek::eek::eek::eek:

It sure sounds like a tack driver though.

I'm looking for something to take into the woods to shoot squirl as well as drive tacks from the bench though. I'm thinking that perhaps one of the carbon wrapped bull barrels might be the way to go???

Your m/77s look sweet BTW.

Thanks for the link. I'll keep an eye open.

·
Registered
13,801 Posts
Here's what I would suggest, if it were my money.
10/22 Deluxe Sporter
Green Mountain factory size replacement barrel
Volquartsen hammer (helps with trigger pull, a LOT better than a Powers Custom)
an extended magazine release
One of those bolt buffer things they use:)

and leave it alone, after that. It'll shoot a lot better than a factory barrel, and still be handy for hunting and shooting in general, without the clubby weight. The factory deluxe stock is a pretty nice one, walnut and checkered, too. Use a Weaver TO-9 scope base, and have a nice little rifle, just don't skimp on the scope.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
if and when i do one i will probably go the rout you described glen as far as the hardware but i will probably go balls to the walls on the stock. they gots some real head turners out there. oh, i second that scope issue thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.